Register

Crazy hard stages collection

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 Dec 2012 22:37

jens_attacks wrote:so where i can find profiles of the old tour de france editions please?

that's the main question, isn't it? :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

08 Dec 2012 22:54

Eshnar wrote:that's the main question, isn't it? :o

Here you can find a lot of them, even though some are " forbidden"

http://www.ilciclismo.it/2009/?cat=10
apmfbs

08 Dec 2012 23:22

Eshnar wrote:Speaking of pure hardness I can't see anything past that. I agree other stages may be better designed, or have better combos, but in terms of hardness that one has the edge. Just blindly comparing it to the Gardeccia 2011, we have:
- 21 kms more
- Mortirolo is way harder than any climb of the other stage.
- Gavia too, plus it's consistently higher than Giau.
- Aprica is considerably easier than Gardeccia ofc.
- Tonale is 1% less steep than Cibiana on average, but 5 kms longer.
- Mendola is easier than Piancavallo.

The Gardeccia stage isn't that far from Aprica, but doesn't reach it.

So the position of the mountain on the stage doesnt matter?

Well san christina was similar to that one then. Only stelvio>> gavia
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

08 Dec 2012 23:33

The Hitch wrote:So the position of the mountain on the stage doesnt matter?

Well san christina was similar to that one then. Only stelvio>> gavia

true, but Santa Cristina had one climb and 60 kms less.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

08 Dec 2012 23:34

apmfbs wrote:Here you can find a lot of them, even though some are " forbidden"

http://www.ilciclismo.it/2009/?cat=10

Thanks for posting this! Great site! :)

User avatar Eshnar

08 Dec 2012 23:49

jens_attacks wrote:so where i can find profiles of the old tour de france editions please?

Here more profiles, in this case only of the giro, a very good site:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ciclopedale/index.htm
apmfbs

08 Dec 2012 23:50

Eshnar wrote:true, but Santa Cristina had one climb and 60 kms less.

Ok what about Stelvio last year? only 30 k less (the part with Mendola which isnt that important) but Stelvio Bormio > Gavia (dont know which they did in 94 and 96) and some even harder Mortirolo side.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

09 Dec 2012 09:13

The Hitch wrote:Ok what about Stelvio last year? only 30 k less (the part with Mendola which isnt that important) but Stelvio Bormio > Gavia (dont know which they did in 94 and 96) and some even harder Mortirolo side.

Surely harder than Aprica '94, but the Stelvio South is not that harder then Gavia and Mortirolo (2012) is just slightly harder than the usual one. Tonale and Aprica were the same, so the only difference is Mendola. Surely isn't that important but it seems we're talking of a fourth category...

on the other hand, this is the Stelvio south

to be compared with Gavia

shorter but steeper. Difficult to compare them, But I'd say the difference between them isn't as big as Mendola vs nothing :p

User avatar Eshnar

09 Dec 2012 09:40

apmfbs wrote:Here more profiles, in this case only of the giro, a very good site:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ciclopedale/index.htm

yes that one i know it.the guy who did it is a really passionate cycling fan chapeau to him
and i have a question for you guys, do you know worse routes than that one of 1993 giro??
those were the mountains stages...what a joke

thanks apmfbs for the link
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 Dec 2012 09:42

jens_attacks wrote:yes that one i know it.the guy who did it is a really passionate cycling fan chapeau to him
and i have a question for you guys, do you know worse routes than that one of 1993 giro??
those were the mountains stages...what a joke

thanks apmfbs for the link

The Corvara stage was actually good.

And yes, take a look at the '80s to see some seriously f*cked up routes. Like the '88 Giro.

User avatar Eshnar

09 Dec 2012 09:48

The stage of Corvara was a very good designed stage, but 1993 was a very disappointing giro in relation to mountain stages.

I think they tried to assure Indurain´s defeat in some way, because there was only one flat 8 and very short) time trial ( Senigalia 28km) and the other one was the impressive mountain time trial from Pinerolo to Sestriere.

A bad route, even the usual tricky stages of the giro didn´t appear so much.
apmfbs

09 Dec 2012 09:50

apmfbs wrote:and the other one was the impressive mountain time trial from Pinerolo to Sestriere.

yes that was crazy

User avatar Eshnar

09 Dec 2012 10:01

There are a lot harder stages, but I remember the last riders finishing after 8 hours and the first 10 riders all finished 1 by 1.
Attacking by the contenders started on the Giau. Still one of the best stages I've seen.
2013 year review, 90 minutes long. Must see.
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/wielrennen/1.1813237
User avatar Kwibus

09 Dec 2012 10:07

Eshnar wrote:yes that was crazy

Taking into account the title of the post, I think there are three time trials that shoul be in the list:

Carpentras - Mont Ventoux 1987

Pinerolo - Sestriere 1993

Cluses - Avoriaz 1994

The differences were terrible in those stages, and the faces of the riders once they finished were a drama.
apmfbs

09 Dec 2012 10:26

Kwibus wrote:Image

There are a lot harder stages, but I remember the last riders finishing after 8 hours and the first 10 riders all finished 1 by 1.
Attacking by the contenders started on the Giau. Still one of the best stages I've seen.

c'mon, you're the 32nd post... do you really think no one proposed that stage yet? :p

User avatar Eshnar

09 Dec 2012 10:27

apmfbs wrote:Taking into account the title of the post, I think there are three time trials that shoul be in the list:

well yes, I didn't mention them only because I already made a thread upon it a while ago :)

User avatar Eshnar

09 Dec 2012 11:27

Eshnar wrote:well yes, I didn't mention them only because I already made a thread upon it a while ago :)

Doh, I actually scrolled through the thread (not read obviously:) ), but missed it.
2013 year review, 90 minutes long. Must see.
http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/wielrennen/1.1813237
User avatar Kwibus

09 Dec 2012 12:12

And perhaps the toughest stage ever in the vuelta ( if we only count stages stages landed in Spain)

Vinokourov won the stage in a disappointing stage with movements only in the final climb. But the stage was very , very hard.
apmfbs

09 Dec 2012 13:10

Eshnar wrote:The hardest Giro stage in history was probably the crazy Sulmona - Arezzo (Giro 1925), 377 kms, ALL of which on Strade Bianche through the Appennines (though I can't find the route).

Stage 1 of the Giro in 1914. From Milano to Cuneo over Sestriere in terrible conditions with ice and snow. 425 km, 17 hours and 33 minutes.
User avatar Lupetto

09 Dec 2012 13:11

Lupetto wrote:Stage 1 of the Giro in 1914. From Milano to Cuneo over Sestriere in terrible conditions with ice and snow. 425 km, 17 hours and 33 minutes.

:D Didn't know that. Thanks!

User avatar Eshnar

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing