Register

Who is next to dominate GT's?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

09 Dec 2012 00:28

Afrank wrote:
Of course much of this discussion is speculation, riders that dominate like Merckx or Hinault or Contador are rare.

Not only rare but also quite difficult to predict. Nine out of ten times it isn't the guy you who shows tremendous talent (and good, consistent results) at young age who you expect to steadily grow into one of the big ones, but its the guy that suddenly blows everyone's head of.
Nilsson

09 Dec 2012 01:10

I'd go with 2 Frenchmen: Pinot and Rolland.
Tejay doesn't have it in him.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

09 Dec 2012 02:42

El Pistolero wrote:No, we need to see if Froome can take on Contador. Not the other way around.

Exactly. Froome is the wannabe. Contador is the one who's crown (reigning king of grand tours) that Froome aspires to. Froome hasn't even won a grand tour yet so how can one state that Contador has to prove he can handle Froome?
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

09 Dec 2012 02:47

airstream wrote:latin riders are not leaders by their nature

Here we go.:rolleyes:
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

09 Dec 2012 03:52

Teejay reminds me of Levi's riding. Strong rider on long burning gradual slopes but lacks the acceleration needed for the steeper stuff where he's going to get dropped. While capable of winning a Vuelta or other smaller Tours, don't see him winning anything more. A Giro, perhaps, through a fluke.
orangerider

09 Dec 2012 03:55

Andrew Anacona
User avatar Eric8-A

09 Dec 2012 05:20

Often dominant forces in cycling are not expected to be so dominant. They can come out of nowhere.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

09 Dec 2012 05:42

Joe Dombrowsky for the Giro and Vuelta, maybe the Tour if the ASO goes back to decent routes.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

09 Dec 2012 05:53

I'm guessing Froome or van Garderen. Pinot, Quintana and others might be able to nick a GT win here or there but Tejay and Froome are far too good at TTing to be seriously challenged by anybody except each other.
User avatar Alphabet

09 Dec 2012 10:32

El Pistolero wrote:English journalists are every bit as prone to making mistakes than any other kind. ;)

He's only 26 years old by the way.

He recently turned 26. He's not too old. That said, he will of course not beat Contador any time soon if Contador can remain as good as he is right now. No one will. Someone with good time trial- and climbing abilities will be the next to dominate GTs. Pinot seems to be a good all-rounder.

so is geraint thomas, but for him it's impossible to improve much as he's already too old for that (your words). lol man you are hilarious :o
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

09 Dec 2012 10:33

airstream wrote:latin riders are not leaders by their nature

what do you call cipo then?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

09 Dec 2012 10:35

Alphabet wrote:I'm guessing Froome or van Garderen. Pinot, Quintana and others might be able to nick a GT win here or there but Tejay and Froome are far too good at TTing to be seriously challenged by anybody except each other.

except van garderen sucks at climbing. he will never be a serious force in gt's.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

09 Dec 2012 10:40

Froome19 wrote:Certainly not a given that. Still need to see whether Contador can take on Froome and then also see whether he is up to his very best after his ban as we never got to see that properly in the Vuelta. Schleck and Froome are certainly not far off him if not his equal when it comes to climbing so another rider coming to challenge whilst still at his peak is not unimaginable.

Omg :o Alberto is one of the most talented riders in the peloton, I simply won't believe froome can beat Alberto when they're both at their best. Froome his equal when it comes to climbing:o, this beats everything and is the most stupid thing I've ever heard
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

09 Dec 2012 10:46

Quintana or Pinot, they are still young, Froome he is already 27 he won't improve much
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

09 Dec 2012 10:48

Ryo Hazuki wrote:what do you call cipo then?

Exactly!

@airstream Quintana will be GT leader,thats for sure and when Valverede retires he will have a strong team around him;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling

09 Dec 2012 12:12

Ryo Hazuki wrote:so is geraint thomas, but for him it's impossible to improve much as he's already too old for that (your words). lol man you are hilarious :o

Where did I say that?

Thomas De Gendt has shown potential for GC because of his podium in the Giro. What potential has Geraint Thomas shown in Roubaix?

Now go troll somewhere else, stick to your Rujano thread, so at least I won't have to read your nonsense. I'm sure you've already bashed a few Belgian riders there, but luckily I don't care enough for Rujano to actually look or make a post there. :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

09 Dec 2012 15:51

Can't see anybody being able to dominate behind Contador for now, but somebody will step forward and claim the position.
Dazed and Confused

09 Dec 2012 16:10

The future is Sagan. Reckon he'll spend the next few years collecting points jerseys and classics to his palmares and with age his endurance will grow and weight drop. Be afraid...
BlenJones2

09 Dec 2012 16:25

Ryo Hazuki wrote:except van garderen sucks at climbing. he will never be a serious force in gt's.

His climbing is decent enough for the Tour. A sh!tty route like 2012 for example suits him perfectly.
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude

09 Dec 2012 16:32

BlenJones2 wrote:The future is Sagan. Reckon he'll spend the next few years collecting points jerseys and classics to his palmares and with age his endurance will grow and weight drop. Be afraid...

When Contador retires the three GTs will be splitted between Peter Sagan(if he decides to become a stage race rider) Tejay van Garderen(Cadel Evans apprentice) and Quintana.
calinmarian

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing