Register

Which "Superteam" will be the most successful in 2013?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Which team will be the most successful in 2013?

SKY
38%
BMC
8%
RadioNissan Trek
3%
Saxo Tinkoff
18%
Omega Pharma Quick Step
25%
Other
9%

Total votes : 101

12 Dec 2012 23:20

Pentacycle wrote:Saxo an Radioshack aren't superteams. BMC is also uncertain with aging leaders like Evans and Hushovd. And of course OPQS gets the most wins, with Sky a remote 2nd.. Martin, Cav and Boonen will probably win 30 races or more together, if they get their train sorted out.

Agreed, counting Evans as a factor in a super team is like counting Sastre a factor in 2008 or 2009. Evans will always be Sastre v2.0 to me, a one hit wonder, as far at a GT racer.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

12 Dec 2012 23:27

I would say BMC, but their missing a a guy that can actually contend for the win in the GT's. Evans is aging, and Tejay isn't at GT winning level yet.

So I'll say OPQS with Sky taking 2nd (Don't think Wiggins will be able to replicate his 2011 season). Saxo not far behind in 3rd.

Also Movistar and Astana should be included in this poll. I could see both teams easily challenging for the top spot if there top riders have really good season.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

12 Dec 2012 23:36

Magnus wrote:"In British English, majority and plurality are often used as synonyms"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority

Dont believe wikipedia. In our politics for example the difference between a party that has a majority and one that has a plurality is made very clear. If people exist that think majority is a plurality it would be like people who say would of instead of would have, and they are wrong.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

12 Dec 2012 23:39

Afrank wrote:I would say BMC, but their missing a a guy that can actually contend for the win in the GT's.

So I'll say OPQS .

Who do OPQS have for the win in gts?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

12 Dec 2012 23:44

The Hitch wrote:Who do OPQS have for the win in gts?

No one, but maybe if Cav gets a lot of wins in the Giro and Tour it could help them stay up there in the team standings.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

12 Dec 2012 23:45

Saxo will win the tour. OPQS will get loads of wins. Depends what you value I guess.
William H

13 Dec 2012 01:26

Voted SKY.

Wiggins to win the first triple crown since Roche :D
biopass

13 Dec 2012 01:40

ElChingon wrote:Agreed, counting Evans as a factor in a super team is like counting Sastre a factor in 2008 or 2009. Evans will always be Sastre v2.0 to me, a one hit wonder, as far at a GT racer.

That's a bit harsh. His best is certainly behind him but with some better luck he could have 3 Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta. Doubt he'll do too much this year, should be good for a few WT stages though.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

13 Dec 2012 01:55

ElChingon wrote:Agreed, counting Evans as a factor in a super team is like counting Sastre a factor in 2008 or 2009. Evans will always be Sastre v2.0 to me, a one hit wonder, as far at a GT racer.

This retired one hit wonder actually finished 25 GT's, was in the top ten overall in fifteen of them. In those fifteen times he was in the top ten overall, he managed the podium 6 times, where as the last 3 was in a row.
biopass

13 Dec 2012 02:26

I am sorry, but saxo tinkoff are not a super team. You can't say you are a super team based on one rider.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

13 Dec 2012 02:36

The Hitch wrote:Who do OPQS have for the win in gts?

They aren't going for overall, just stages. With their lineup, they'll get plenty.

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

User avatar 42x16ss

13 Dec 2012 02:41

biopass wrote:This retired one hit wonder actually finished 25 GT's, was in the top ten overall in fifteen of them. In those fifteen times he was in the top ten overall, he managed the podium 6 times, where as the last 3 was in a row.

That's right. I'll put that into perspective - Sastre finished as many GT's in the top 10 as Armstrong started. A third of those were as a domestique to guys like Basso and Hamilton.

User avatar 42x16ss

13 Dec 2012 08:10

Afrank wrote:No one, but maybe if Cav gets a lot of wins in the Giro and Tour it could help them stay up there in the team standings.

Plenty of stage opportunities for Cav in TdF, but very few in the Giro.
Dazed and Confused

13 Dec 2012 08:50

I actuelly think Fabian will be back with a vengeance. Am a little bit more unsure about Andy. Shack will have much better season in 2013 though.

I expect Sky to be a bit less dominant than in 2012. They are still very strong but they wont get it as easy in 2013 as in 2012. Esp in the Tour where both the Shack and Saxo are strong and with stronger captains (imo). Still a very strong team, but they will be less succesful than in 2012

Saxo will be much better, and they will do verty well, mainly in the stage races. Berto will win alot Spanish 1week stage races, and Rogers, Roche and Kreuziger will also get thir share of results. Majka will do well in the Giro. Really strong stage race team overall,

I hope Gilbert will be back in form for the ardennes. Evans is over the hill but TJ might be stronger than in 2012 and be ready to take over. And who knows, maybe Thor will rebound and do great things on the cobbles. I expect nice things from this team

OPQS is uber strong and will get a lot of wins with Cav, Tom and Martin. They will lack in the stage races though.

So overall the most improved team is in my opinion Saxo, but overall I think OPQS might be the most successful team.

All of the above look very strong. Should be a fun season.
User avatar Cimber

13 Dec 2012 10:30

Kittel, Degenkolb, RJvR, Ahlstrand, Veelers - that's potentially 50 wins in 2013.

So easily Argos. :cool:
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

13 Dec 2012 10:47

Pinot, Demare, Bouhanni, Elissonde, Vichot, Jeannesson, Fedrigo, Offredo... I think FDJ has it.:D;)
User avatar Jason_Mercier

13 Dec 2012 16:16

The Hitch wrote:Dont believe wikipedia. In our politics for example the difference between a party that has a majority and one that has a plurality is made very clear. If people exist that think majority is a plurality it would be like people who say would of instead of would have, and they are wrong.

Obviously wiki isn't the be all end all truth. I just didn't wanna write up a "Francois the Postman"-length post (no offence FtP) about how words are used differently by different language users.

And it's not about not knowing the conceptual difference between a majority and a plurality. It's about that some people use the one word to mean the other (or both). Since Sky had the plurality and not the majority (in the strict sense of the word, in which way you apparently want the word to be used exclusively) it seems pretty clear (to me at least) that Parrulo meant to use the word 'majority' to mean 'plurality' and not majority in the 'strict' sense. Which in a way just shows that Wiki can be believed when it claims that some people use 'majority' as pseudonym for 'plurality'.

Considering the English 'majority' descends from Latin 'maior', which just means greater, it's not to hard to imagine that language-users with a Latin-influenced language as mother-tongue will have a word in 'their own' language very close to the English word 'majority' with a meaning that is closer to the original Latin meaning.
User avatar Magnus

13 Dec 2012 17:13

Would a could a should a
simo1733

13 Dec 2012 17:29

Argos Shimano

:o
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi

14 Dec 2012 02:40

42x16ss wrote:That's a bit harsh. His best is certainly behind him but with some better luck he could have 3 Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta. Doubt he'll do too much this year, should be good for a few WT stages though.

With luck many riders could be 5 time Tour winners, but that how it goes with luck, harsh or not.

biopass wrote:This retired one hit wonder actually finished 25 GT's, was in the top ten overall in fifteen of them. In those fifteen times he was in the top ten overall, he managed the podium 6 times, where as the last 3 was in a row.

That is just it, he needs people like you to remind us of any of his feats because they all fall by the way side otherwise. There is no rewards for finishing N number of GT's or being on podium (without winning) in N GT's either. One win and a lackluster win that is often forgotten when one thinks back on the Tour winners, there are no great stage battles or dramatic wins in that Tour, it was all very flat (emotion-wise). But I will give you that he won it.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing