Log in:  

Register

Hot racing coming up in Australia

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Jan 2019 17:39

search wrote:in total, this year's stage has more than double the amount of climbing though. So it's hard to compare

Yeah, but with a circuit it's likely they'll softpedal it until the final lap. IMHO a longer climb near the end is way better to harden a race than a rolling circuit, especially in a pretty short stage. But probably the organizers prefer the circuit to favour a late attack with some seconds on a large group rather than a real selection.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 1,139
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2019 21:32

Jancouver wrote:
Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.


It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:


OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:

He needs to accept that a TdF win is never coming and focus on the Giro and maybe even winning Liege Schleck style.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,995
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2019 22:16

Nirvana wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.


According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event%20files/stages/maps/2019%20event/tdu_2019_stage%203_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3


Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.

Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

Image


There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,425
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2019 23:12

Velolover2 wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.


According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event%20files/stages/maps/2019%20event/tdu_2019_stage%203_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3


Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.

Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

Image


There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.

If Sagan is serious about racing Amstel this is the kind of stage he needs to be able to survive. He'll try and be there at the end, even if it's to support McCarthy
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,995
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2019 23:26

42x16ss wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
Velolover2 wrote:Do anybody have a profile of the stage 3 circuit?

According to the cyclingnews podcast, it could become a climber stage. One of the hills should have 12% ramps.

They described it as being too hard for Sagan, but I really doubt that. That said, it's clearly not a stage a sprinter can survive.


According to the website it's a nice downhill finish for the sprinters -
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/~/media/tdu/files/event%20files/stages/maps/2019%20event/tdu_2019_stage%203_lr_final_9_nov.ashx

and http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/race/mens/stages/stage-3


Thank you! It might key stage for those who want to win the overall.

Porte could be in a vulnerable and isolated with constant attacks from the other GC guys.

Last year the finale was harder with a longer climb before the final bumps and there still was a 30+ men sprint, the only thing GC relevant that i can see realistically happen is some fast GC rider like Ulissi snatching bonus seconds, unless heat will take a toll or something crazy in the race happens.

Image


There are twice as many vertical meters this year. It's like about 3500m of altitude. And the 3 main climbs should be shorter, but much steeper than the hill of last year. One of them with double digit gradients. It's a shame that there is no profile of the circuit.

On paper, it looks like a Sagan stage. But it could be too hard for him with his current weight. It's a course that suits the attackers. But if it comes down to a sprint, Ulissi, McCarthy and Haas are perhaps bigger favorites than Sagan.

If Sagan is serious about racing Amstel this is the kind of stage he needs to be able to survive. He'll try and be there at the end, even if it's to support McCarthy[/quote]


Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,172
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

13 Jan 2019 23:32

It's also January.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,864
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

14 Jan 2019 12:20

I am getting the vibe there might be cross winds stage 1, not good for Richie
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,849
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

14 Jan 2019 13:06

Hard to take the race seriously when they constantly shorten the stages. Its january in Australia, ofc itsw gonna be damn hot.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,641
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 17:02

Koronin wrote:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.


Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).
Salvarani
Member
 
Posts: 727
Joined: 15 Oct 2017 15:25

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 17:14

Salvarani wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.


Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).


He will make his debut in LBL this year, so no, he hasn't tried it yet. Amstel is definitely possible. He should have won it already in 2012, and if he hadn't been too afraid of Valverde, he would have won last year as well.

The fact that he didn't win MSR in 2012, 2013 and/or 2017 is to me the most annoying thing about his career.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,227
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 22:09

Jancouver wrote:
Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Hope all the riders involved in those crashes made it OK.

It would be heartbreaking to get seriously injured in some meaningless, but mandatory parade-style crit event.


It's not really January unless Jancouver re-appears from his den complaining about the Tour Down Under. :lol:


OMG, year after year I pray that TLMRP will skip this "Willunga Hill" race because it's getting unbearable around here between January and July listening to all the nonsense about Porte's bad luck and his chances finally winning the TdF etc. :cool:


Richie never has bad luck in the TDU, little wonder he keeps returning. Last year he was beaten by a very good Impey. But I was a bit gobsmacked to see Porte on the start line again instead of delaying his start to the season and trying a different build up for the Tour. Still Porte's issues have never been about fitness or preparation.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,622
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

14 Jan 2019 22:17

Valv.Piti wrote:Hard to take the race seriously when they constantly shorten the stages. Its january in Australia, ofc itsw gonna be damn hot.


It's called thinking of the rider's health. I'm sure the riders union and the riders themselves approve and it's been done before in the TDU and the TOC. It's just unfortunate that both races take place at their respective hottest periods of the year. Well TOC is actually spring not summer but more than hot enough. TDU would be much better in April or October/November but scheduling is a an issue for both times so I guess it stays put plus they are mindful of the school holidays in Australia and peak tourist dollar.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,622
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2019 22:45

Salvarani wrote:
Koronin wrote:
Sagan did well at Amstel last year, so it's possible he can do well there. It's more Fleche Wallone and LBL that are more questionable.


Fleche Wallone no chance he can win.

LBL and Amstel are not impossible I think.

For LBL he might have to loose a couple of kilos though. Maybe he will give it a shot once or twice before he ends his career, even though he should have probably tried it earlier in his career (maybe he did? But cant remember).

He has already won both Flanders and PR, maybe he just wants to add more wins in those. MSR he has a possibility to win every year (and probably should have won it already).



He's never raced LBL. The Worlds showed if they race it hard enough he won't be there at the end. He'd need to loose a couple of kilos to have a shot at it. If he does that he may have a shot. Amstel he has a shot at. I agree with Tobydawg, if he wasn't so worried about Valverde he may have won it last year.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,172
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Re:

15 Jan 2019 01:12

movingtarget wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Hard to take the race seriously when they constantly shorten the stages. Its january in Australia, ofc itsw gonna be damn hot.


It's called thinking of the rider's health. I'm sure the riders union and the riders themselves approve and it's been done before in the TDU and the TOC. It's just unfortunate that both races take place at their respective hottest periods of the year. Well TOC is actually spring not summer but more than hot enough. TDU would be much better in April or October/November but scheduling is a an issue for both times so I guess it stays put plus they are mindful of the school holidays in Australia and peak tourist dollar.

Should start stages at 6am
User avatar swuzzlebubble
Member
 
Posts: 587
Joined: 02 Nov 2009 00:30

15 Jan 2019 01:45

Nice only 90km to go, they should shorten all the ****** stages.
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 17,033
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

15 Jan 2019 02:05

I don't think I've ever used a race organiser use the strategi (or whatever you'll call it) of "let's bring all the national champions to the front!"
But of course; first stage, so no one else are wearing special jersey.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,903
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Hot racing coming up in Australia

15 Jan 2019 02:10

There are so benefits to a disturbed circadian rhythm. I watch TDU live, go to the gym, eat my dinner in the mourning and then go to bed. :lol:
Velolover2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,425
Joined: 12 Apr 2015 18:16

Re:

15 Jan 2019 02:11

RedheadDane wrote:I don't think I've ever used a race organiser use the strategi (or whatever you'll call it) of "let's bring all the national champions to the front!"
But of course; first stage, so no one else are wearing special jersey.



That's interesting. Cool though for the first stage, so why not. Something different. Let those guys with their national champion's kits get a minute in the spotlight before the first stage race of the season.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,172
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

15 Jan 2019 02:36

I'm starting to suspect Bahrain might be the team with the biggest height-difference in this race.

Just look
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,903
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re:

15 Jan 2019 02:46

RedheadDane wrote:I'm starting to suspect Bahrain might be the team with the biggest height-difference in this race.

Just look



:surprised: :surprised: :surprised:
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,172
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Breh, Google Adsense [Bot], Koronin and 17 guests

Back to top