Log in:  

Register

Hot racing coming up in Australia

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

10 Jan 2013 09:23

auscyclefan94 wrote:Profile - Don't be mislead by it. The riders only do the long circuit 3 times this year.
Image

Image

The website hasn't really explained it very well.

Do people want a race thread for the Men's Road Race or just keep live and pre-race commentary in this thread?


It's 3 times around the long loop, then 11 times around the shorter loop. 14 times up Mt Bunninyong, 195.8 K. Has usually been 16 times around the short loop, 16 times up the climb, 163.2K. So 2 fewer times the climb, but 30 + K longer race. Don't see how it will change much, still favours hard man.
Tragic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: 26 Jul 2011 06:44

10 Jan 2013 10:40

I don't mind the course for the road race but I hope they mix it up in the future. I don't see the point in having the titles in the same place every year. Towns and cities should bid for it like other sporting events. It's getting a bit monotonous. Ballarat is a good place for cycling but more variety needed.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,877
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

10 Jan 2013 11:00

movingtarget wrote:I don't mind the course for the road race but I hope they mix it up in the future. I don't see the point in having the titles in the same place every year. Towns and cities should bid for it like other sporting events. It's getting a bit monotonous. Ballarat is a good place for cycling but more variety needed.


I agree. We had it over here in SA for a couple of years, but Ballarat took it back. Suspect CA has a Victorian power block. It may be a sponsorship issue.
Tragic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: 26 Jul 2011 06:44

10 Jan 2013 11:16

Cam Meyer showing good form winning the crit. Add him to the contenders for the RR, last year, if I remember right, he just went away a little too soon.
Tragic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: 26 Jul 2011 06:44

10 Jan 2013 11:26

theyoungest wrote:Why would a time trialist skip the TT and time trial his way to a criterium win? Who cares about the crit title.


Because he's preparing solely for RR ? ;)
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,779
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

10 Jan 2013 11:35

Meyer was dominant in criterium win, but unsurprisingly the press gets carried away. Lets not forget that a) the Road race is a different kettle of fish to the criterium b) Criterium and Madison style racing is Meyer's bread and butter and c) races like the Giro and TdF are a massive jump.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

10 Jan 2013 11:38

Tragic wrote:I agree. We had it over here in SA for a couple of years, but Ballarat took it back. Suspect CA has a Victorian power block. It may be a sponsorship issue.


Not at all. It is because the race in Victoria gets great crowds, Ballarat has been willing to put the money into it and the course is great as it always provides an exciting race.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

10 Jan 2013 13:22

auscyclefan94 wrote:Not at all. It is because the race in Victoria gets great crowds, Ballarat has been willing to put the money into it and the course is great as it always provides an exciting race.


Other states would get good crowds too. It's not as if Victoria is the only state with cycling fans and sponsors. It's fair for the riders too, to get different courses.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,877
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

10 Jan 2013 13:50

Well if Ballarat are continuing to put the money in it makes sense. It's all good talking about change but unless there's actually a viable alternative it means nothing. Are there even any stories of someone bidding, unsuccessfully, and why they were denied?
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

10 Jan 2013 22:33

Ferminal wrote:Well if Ballarat are continuing to put the money in it makes sense. It's all good talking about change but unless there's actually a viable alternative it means nothing. Are there even any stories of someone bidding, unsuccessfully, and why they were denied?


I know the last time it was up for grabs the Gold Coast bid (as did others I believe), however the funding from Ballarat/Victorian regional tourism is enough to keep them in front. I also believe the fact that Jayco being a major sponsor and being a Victorian based concern also helps keep it in state.

Personally, I'd love to see them run the finish circuit around Bathurst race track, a good loop finishing on the track finish line and would give the wider non-cycling public a reference point. Whilst Renshaw still wouldn't be happy with the hill at least he wouldn't have to travel far.
PCutter
Junior Member
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 02:08

10 Jan 2013 22:46

movingtarget wrote:Other states would get good crowds too. It's not as if Victoria is the only state with cycling fans and sponsors. It's fair for the riders too, to get different courses.


The evidence doesn't suggest that it would be as good as Victorian crowds.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

10 Jan 2013 22:53

PCutter wrote:I know the last time it was up for grabs the Gold Coast bid (as did others I believe), however the funding from Ballarat/Victorian regional tourism is enough to keep them in front. I also believe the fact that Jayco being a major sponsor and being a Victorian based concern also helps keep it in state.

Personally, I'd love to see them run the finish circuit around Bathurst race track, a good loop finishing on the track finish line and would give the wider non-cycling public a reference point. Whilst Renshaw still wouldn't be happy with the hill at least he wouldn't have to travel far.


I like the race being here in Victoria and Ballarat and the organisers can probably take some credit in raising the profile of the National Championships BUT I do like your idea of Bathurst. For those of us who have watched the car racing over the years, it would be fascinating to hear Keenan call of Gerrans leading into Conrad Straight and Porte and Sutton chasing him down :-) We see the V8's roar up the hill there but how difficult would the Bathurst climb be to pro's doing it a number of times?

Would be interesting to see a market framed for Sunday's RR. Would the top 5 look like this;
$5 Gerrans
$6.50 Porte
$7 Hass
$8 Meyer
$12 Lloyd

Others who might be up in the market could include Sutton, Durbridge, Clarke, Clarke, Dennis.....who else?

Haven't got a start list in front of me, so might be missing a few who should be obvious.
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 348
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

10 Jan 2013 22:56

An earlier poster asked about Hepburn missing from the RR, here is a GE response;

Our keep list of starters is our on recently updated calendar (http://www.greenedgecycling.com/race-and-results/). Unless something has changed, Heppy should be starting the road race. I have just emailed our trainer to confirm and will circle back here if anything is different than what I originally posted.

Yes - does confirmed with Quod. Heppy was accidentally registered for U23 race. They're following up. He's racing elite RR (no TT - was never planning on it).
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 348
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

10 Jan 2013 23:04

Tragic wrote:Cam Meyer showing good form winning the crit. Add him to the contenders for the RR, last year, if I remember right, he just went away a little too soon.


He was actually flying in his breakaway last year and then bonked big time. I think this is the fire that will have been burning in him for 12 months and I wouldn't be surprised to see him going away as he did in the criterium reasonably early in the race. If he goes up the road it takes a lot of pressure off guys like Gerrans, Mathews and Clarke and he is also a genuine chance to win in a breakaway.
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 348
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

10 Jan 2013 23:21

I hope the Gold Coast can have it in 2018 so they can help the Aussies get to know the Commonwealth Games course.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,288
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

10 Jan 2013 23:50

Wilba60 wrote:I like the race being here in Victoria and Ballarat and the organisers can probably take some credit in raising the profile of the National Championships BUT I do like your idea of Bathurst. For those of us who have watched the car racing over the years, it would be fascinating to hear Keenan call of Gerrans leading into Conrad Straight and Porte and Sutton chasing him down :-) We see the V8's roar up the hill there but how difficult would the Bathurst climb be to pro's doing it a number of times?

Would be interesting to see a market framed for Sunday's RR. Would the top 5 look like this;
$5 Gerrans
$6.50 Porte
$7 Hass
$8 Meyer
$12 Lloyd

Others who might be up in the market could include Sutton, Durbridge, Clarke, Clarke, Dennis.....who else?

Haven't got a start list in front of me, so might be missing a few who should be obvious.


Sportsbet odds, I like Cam Meyer at $9 and Bling at $13

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/cycling/national-championships

The flaw with my Bathurst circuit is that the track is only 6km long, so you would probably have to extend the loop or risk having a break away knocking out the main field. The climb up the Bathurst Hill would be more selective than the current course I believe (Wiki has max gradient of 1:6.13 which is 16% I think) and coming down through the Esses and Dipper would be great television.
PCutter
Junior Member
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 02:08

10 Jan 2013 23:55

PCutter wrote:Sportsbet odds, I like Cam Meyer at $9 and Bling at $13

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/cycling/national-championships

The flaw with my Bathurst circuit is that the track is only 6km long, so you would probably have to extend the loop or risk having a break away knocking out the main field. The climb up the Bathurst Hill would be more selective than the current course I believe and coming down through the Esses and Dipper would be great television.


Really? I don't think the Bathurst Hill is overly long and not overly steep. That is what Galic Ho told me, who lives in the Bathurst area.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

11 Jan 2013 00:04

auscyclefan94 wrote:Really? I don't think the Bathurst Hill is overly long and not overly steep. That is what Galic Ho told me, who lives in the Bathurst area.


I just added an edit to my prior post, but Wiki has it listed as a max gradient on 1 in 6.13, which I think calculates to 16% (probably coming out of The Cutting), but it is also a 174m rise over the course. Given the 6km track, the climb would be longer than Buninyong which I think is 1.1km, so Bathurst probably closer to 2km. Your previous post of the current course map doesn't include a total rise for the Buninyong climb so not sure what the comparison would be for average %, but I think they'd be somewhat comparable over the total length, but with Bathurst having some tougher pinches
PCutter
Junior Member
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 02:08

12 Jan 2013 01:49

Jordan Kerby won the U23 RR ahead of Damian Howson. Many of the big favourites where in a chase group quite a few minutes behind.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,326
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

12 Jan 2013 07:08

auscyclefan94 wrote:Jordan Kerby won the U23 RR ahead of Damian Howson. Many of the big favourites where in a chase group quite a few minutes behind.


The women's race was taken by Gracie Elvin in a 4 up sprint from Jo Hogan and Carla Ryan. Good teamwork by OGE/AIS. Both races were good to watch, the winning move in the U23 happened on the first climb!
Tragic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: 26 Jul 2011 06:44

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigMac, Bing [Bot], burning, Bushman, DFA123, Enrico Gimondi, Escarabajo, Jakob747, Josh Homme, LaFlorecita, Pricey_sky, roundabout, Ruudz0r, WheelofGear, Zinoviev Letter and 63 guests

Back to top