Register

Hot racing coming up in Australia

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Jan 2013 21:39

Michele wrote:Glad that Caleb Ewan confirmed himself this year as well.
What a promising kid!

Yeah. he's a huge talent on the road or the track. Whether he's climbing, riding track enduro or sprints, he has it all.

I hope he continues to develop over the coming years because he has a nice, relaxed temperament as well.

The way he beat Renshaw and Graeme Brown recently at the Clarence Street Cyclery Cup and has then beat other big names on the road - he certainly has a bright future.

Regards,

Peter
peterst6906

01 Jan 2013 23:23

Didn't realize that Ewan's coach is Brad McGee. Wonder if he will direct Ewan to Orica GreenEdge? Would be a real pity if the Aussie OGE team misses out on him. Can anyone help with the qualification rules re. age on world tour teams, is Ewan too young yet to be signed? Matt Goss may not want him at OGE, he looks to be quicker than Docker, Howard and Kroupis....not sure how he would go against a fit and ready to ride Goss.

OGE must be looking at replacing Julian Dean who has retired. If Ewan is too young, any ideas on who they might sign?
Wilba60

02 Jan 2013 00:44

Wilba60 wrote:Didn't realize that Ewan's coach is Brad McGee. Wonder if he will direct Ewan to Orica GreenEdge? Would be a real pity if the Aussie OGE team misses out on him. Can anyone help with the qualification rules re. age on world tour teams, is Ewan too young yet to be signed? Matt Goss may not want him at OGE, he looks to be quicker than Docker, Howard and Kroupis....not sure how he would go against a fit and ready to ride Goss.

OGE must be looking at replacing Julian Dean who has retired. If Ewan is too young, any ideas on who they might sign?

Being a first year U23 they could sign him but I think he's going to spend a year with the feeder team (Jayco-AIS) first. He was riding a Scott yesterday
"If there is only a 10% chance of success then I will take it because if I don't take the 10% then I have 0%"

"You know that thing in your head that says 'we shouldn't be doing this?' We don't have that"
User avatar woodie

02 Jan 2013 01:29

Video of stage 1 of the Bay Cycling Classic. Mens race starts a bit before the 15 minute mark.
User avatar Ruudz0r

02 Jan 2013 03:31

woodie wrote:Being a first year U23 they could sign him but I think he's going to spend a year with the feeder team (Jayco-AIS) first. He was riding a Scott yesterday

Jayco AIS has ceased to exist. The whole AIS programme has been revamped and it should be national team like (as they did with Eclipse's Jayco Honey Shotz team in Singkarak and other Asian races this year) and will not be a full fledged continental team.

Jane Aubrey (one of CN's best imo) reported on it extensively around the start of October. Search 2 retain will now take over from Eclipse in Asia for the young uns' development, which looks to be Cam Bayly and maybe even Van Der Ploeg.

Ewan may still need to find a club.
ramjambunath

02 Jan 2013 03:54

Ewan will surely be one of those racing out of Varese though?
Ferminal

02 Jan 2013 04:04

The Worlds? Aye, has to be a shoo in, no? Unless Australia go climb heavy.
ramjambunath

02 Jan 2013 04:06

Ferminal wrote:Ewan will surely be one of those racing out of Varese though?

Correct.

There were a number of teams sniffing around looking for him (Im sure one of which was Brad's old team Saxo with Brad now being his coach), he has/had a number of options including going straight up to seniors, however he has been given some good advice not to rush and looks set for at least 1 year in the u23s
PCutter

02 Jan 2013 05:31

Durbridge won in Portarlington.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

02 Jan 2013 11:18

Ruudz0r wrote:Video of stage 1 of the Bay Cycling Classic. Mens race starts a bit before the 15 minute mark.

I apparently failed to insert a link here is the video: http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/13481027971/mitchelton-bay-cycling-classic-stage-1
User avatar Ruudz0r

02 Jan 2013 14:00

auscyclefan94 wrote:Durbridge won in Portarlington.

Good, I expect much more from him in '13.
Possible the biggest talent on Orica.
Dazed and Confused

02 Jan 2013 21:07

Dazed and Confused wrote:Good, I expect much more from him in '13.

Time trials, or do you think he can pull off some wins in road stages?
rgmerk

02 Jan 2013 21:12

Dazed and Confused wrote:Good, I expect much more from him in '13.

Is certainly a talent but there are others who have left the track to keep an eye on this year as well. Hepburn, Bewley, Howard and Meyer will have full years with a road pre-season and Hepburn especially could be as good, if not better than Durbridge. I think Durbridge's great year and more improvement has also helped Tuft, who has shown excellent progression and seems to be a good mentor type for the up and coming time trial capabilities of OGE.

Hot and 36C for the final day of the Bay Crits. Williamstown will be a perfect location. We also get to see the Herald Sun Tour prologue later in the day.
Wilba60

02 Jan 2013 21:17

rgmerk wrote:Time trials, or do you think he can pull off some wins in road stages?

I think he can, possible this year already.
Dazed and Confused

02 Jan 2013 21:33

Wilba60 wrote:Is certainly a talent but there are others who have left the track to keep an eye on this year as well. Hepburn, Bewley, Howard and Meyer will have full years with a road pre-season and Hepburn especially could be as good, if not better than Durbridge. I think Durbridge's great year and more improvement has also helped Tuft, who has shown excellent progression and seems to be a good mentor type for the up and coming time trial capabilities of OGE.

yep, lots of interesting youngsters on Orica.
Dazed and Confused

03 Jan 2013 02:45

Dazed and Confused wrote:I think he can, possible this year already.

Very possible. The kid has a monster engine, can climb a little and is a full year younger than the likes of Phinney, Matthews, Degenkolb, Sagan, Moser etc.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

03 Jan 2013 02:59

‏@HeraldSunTour

Due to EXTREME HEAT tomorrow, stage 1 from Sunbury to Bendigo will be brought forward 2hrs. Start: 9:30am, Finish: 1-1:30pm #suntour
Ferminal

03 Jan 2013 03:18

Docker won in Williamstown. Ewan takes the overall victory.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

08 Jan 2013 01:08

Start lists for nationals
http://roadnationals.org.au/start-list/
User avatar swuzzlebubble

08 Jan 2013 02:46

I shall say Porte to take the ITT. The criterium Davison, Renshaw or Matthews.

U23 RR Law or Flakemore, Phelan animating it. U23 Criterium shall be Ewans' quite easily. The ITT winner in my view will be Howson though Kerby could challenge.

For the womens RR i shall say Neylan, Cromwell or Gilmore who looks to be getting better.

No idea for the rest.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing