Register

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Mar 2013 15:42

Boonen
17%
Cancellara
83%

Total votes : 70

14 Dec 2012 15:18

ElChingon wrote:Without the cobbles Boonen is like a bike with no wheels.

Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 15:35

Îsn't Gilbert the best? :rolleyes:
User avatar TeoSheva

14 Dec 2012 15:44

El Pistolero wrote:Again this nonsense.

- 2 Vuelta stages.
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.

Has Boonen ever done this?
User avatar Pentacycle

14 Dec 2012 15:47

Pentacycle wrote:Has Boonen ever done this?

Why would he? He can sprint.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 15:53

Cancellara shades it for me.

If he ever becomes world champion on the road, would be a clear winner. That's the main thing Tom's got over him.
User avatar the asian

14 Dec 2012 18:34

Dazed and Confused wrote:so according to this Evans is a better cyclist than Contador?

Maybe not for this stupid ranking (De Vlaeminck only #15:rolleyes:).

But in my mind, there's not even the shadow of a doubt.

Evans is a true full time racer from March to October, while Clenbutador is just racing for 50 days a year before sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun. Besides, he does not belong here but to the Clinic. Thank you. :o
Echoes

14 Dec 2012 18:52

Echoes wrote:Maybe not for this stupid ranking (De Vlaeminck only #15:rolleyes:).

But in my mind, there's not even the shadow of a doubt.

Evans is a true full time racer from March to October, while Clenbutador is just racing for 50 days a year before sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun. Besides, he does not belong here but to the Clinic. Thank you. :o

Alberto races from January/February till the end of July. That's not 50 days.
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Dec 2012 18:57

LaFlorecita wrote:Alberto races from January/February till the end of July. That's not 50 days.

He usually races around 60 days per year, he's probably writing about racing days, not the actual days
burning

14 Dec 2012 19:14

burning wrote:He usually races around 60 days per year, he's probably writing about racing days, not the actual days

Does Evans race every day between march and october?
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Dec 2012 19:17

Miburo wrote:Pro-Boonen: 3xRVV, 4xPR, 1xWC RR, green jersey

Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT 1xMS

main differences:
Boonen +2Rvv, +2PR, WC, green jersey

Cancellara +MSR, 4TT WC + olympic TT

People can argue MSR is nearly a WC. But how can people argue TT WC is the same as winning a Monument??? not so many years ago their wasn't even an TT WC.

The rest, Tour de Suisse, 3x Gent-Wevelgem is peanuts anyway compared to their best wins.
Matthijs

14 Dec 2012 19:26

Miburo wrote:Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT and 3th in RR, 2xE3, 1xMS, 1xTDS, 1xTA, stages vuelta, 8 stages Tdf (btw a lot of days in yellow).

Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest ;)
Matthijs

14 Dec 2012 19:27

Matthijs wrote:Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest ;)

We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

And going by the poll, I think we have a clear winner ;)
Gloin22

14 Dec 2012 19:29

Gloin22 wrote:We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

Yeah, but Bush also got re-elected if we're going by the polls.

Anyway I'm not voting because I have a biased opinion. I don't really care about time trials, I grew up on one day races and the Grand Tours. I don't even think a WC TT is half as important as a WC RR.

User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 19:30

El Pistolero wrote:Again this nonsense.

- 2 Vuelta stages.

Also better than 4x WC tt?

Cancellara could also have won some more classics if not for his bad luck
:)
Bushman

14 Dec 2012 19:32

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, but Bush also got re-elected if we're going by the polls.

Not with a 90% majority ;)

As usual a nonssensical argument from you though.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

14 Dec 2012 19:33

Matthijs wrote:Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest ;)

2007 Milan-SanRemo. ;)
User avatar Afrank

14 Dec 2012 19:33

Bushman wrote:Also better than 4x WC tt?

Cancellara could also have won some more classics if not for his bad luck
:)

Having only one tactic is not bad luck.

Granted, that doesn't account for this year, but it does for 2011. Cancellara's injury list is ten times smaller than Boonen's.

User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 19:35

Gloin22 wrote:We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

yeah, and Levi leipheimer is the greatest cyclist if you take polls here on cyclingnews seriously.

But come on guys, I can understand that if you consider Boonen from 2009-2012 that it is equal. But Boonens results untill 2008 where so outstanding.
The intro says its about all their active years. I can imagine people are more fan of Cancellara. But to say he's overall better because he:
-can win TT's
-can win stages by TT away from the peloton
-can win classics by TT away from a smaller group
This year shows clearly his lack of tactic skills. He has no ability to win in any other way.

Vino's win on Champs Elyssees is still not repeated by Cancellara. That would be a magnificent ride.
Matthijs

14 Dec 2012 19:35

The Hitch wrote:Not with a 90% majority ;)

As usual a nonssensical argument from you though.

There weren't 90% white people. ;)

I would say determining who is better by a poll result makes less sense than my argument.

I could make a poll on a forum to determine which game is better: COD or Metroid Prime. I know which game would get the most votes and that game is crap. ;)

User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 19:42

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, but Bush also got re-elected if we're going by the polls.

Professione: troll
by Michelangelo Antonioni :D
woodenswan

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing