Register

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?

Poll ended at 23 Mar 2013 15:42

Boonen
17%
Cancellara
83%

Total votes : 70

14 Dec 2012 20:41

Echoes wrote:Maybe not for this stupid ranking (De Vlaeminck only #15:rolleyes:).

But in my mind, there's not even the shadow of a doubt.

Evans is a true full time racer from March to October, while Clenbutador is just racing for 50 days a year before sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun. Besides, he does not belong here but to the Clinic. Thank you. :o

Evans won the TdF '11 racing only 57 days that year. This year he raced 52 days. Next year he will race about the same would be my guess. Looks like Evans is adopting the race light model. Wonder why.
Dazed and Confused

14 Dec 2012 21:24

Dazed and Confused wrote:Evans won the TdF '11 racing only 57 days that year. This year he raced 52 days. Next year he will race about the same would be my guess. Looks like Evans is adopting the race light model. Wonder why.

The only reason he's done that, is since he won the Tour, he didn't have full motivation like he had before his TdF victory. I already expected his poor Tirreno and Romandie this year. Riders like Evans need a good base level to end the season with. And only because he put an early end to his 2011 season, his condition was weak. He couldn't get his engine going until around June and he also caught some infections as a result. Evans and Cancellara could be having even worse seasons next year than they had this year due to lack of racing.
User avatar Pentacycle

14 Dec 2012 21:47

El Pistolero wrote:
I would say determining who is better by a poll result makes less sense than my argument.

Debatable ;)

But yes just because a large majority of people believe something doesn't mean that they are right. I havent seen anyone claim that is the case though. Gloin was just ribbing you that most people disagree with you.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

14 Dec 2012 21:58

The Hitch wrote:Debatable ;)

But yes just because a large majority of people believe something doesn't mean that they are right. I havent seen anyone claim that is the case though. Gloin was just ribbing you that most people disagree with you.

Gloin wasn't even talking to me and he was implying that Cancellara was better just because a poll is saying so. ;)

In fact, I haven't actually joined this debate much, I just had to respond when someone said Boonen was just cobbles.

I've come to realize people have a short-time memory here.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Dec 2012 22:09

Hi,

Keep it to talk about Boonen/Canca troops. Plenty of other threads out there to debate Evans/Contador et al

Cheers:)
User avatar ferryman

14 Dec 2012 22:11

Well, results of the poll are clear.
But world title in the road race is what's Cancellara missing, and MSR victory is Boonen's minus.
On the other hand, Green jersey is something Cancellara certainly won't accomplish, just like Boonen will never get a significant tt victory.
Classics are their battlefield and they can only be compared on that basis.
Also, Cancellara is priceless member of the team in every race he starts, and Boonen is a lot smarter cyclist.
I like Boonen more, but would prefer Cancellara in my team.
User avatar serfla

14 Dec 2012 22:15

ferryman wrote:Hi,

Keep it to talk about Boonen/Canca troops. Plenty of other threads out there to debate Evans/Contador et al

Cheers:)

Thank god that nonsense got deleted
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

14 Dec 2012 23:21

El Pistolero wrote:Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.

Without his magic powder he's of quit if it wasn't for the cobbles, I bet he'd trade any of that (if he had done it) for another cobbled classic, if only one.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

15 Dec 2012 00:49

Matthijs wrote:main differences:
Boonen +2Rvv, +2PR, WC, green jersey

Cancellara +MSR, 4TT WC + olympic TT

People can argue MSR is nearly a WC. But how can people argue TT WC is the same as winning a Monument??? not so many years ago their wasn't even an TT WC.

The rest, Tour de Suisse, 3x Gent-Wevelgem is peanuts anyway compared to their best wins.

We're not talking about a single TT WC, but four + Olympic Gold.

And Suisse and T-A are WT hilly stage race, something that Boonen will never win.
Wigwan

15 Dec 2012 00:52

Wigwan wrote:We're not talking about a single TT WC, but four + Olympic Gold.

And Suisse and T-A are WT hilly stage race, something that Boonen will never win.

2008 T-A was not WT.

Nor was it a very hard edition. Freire also won a T-A once.

You get to wear a rainbow jersey on the road more in one year than 4 years of a TT WC jersey.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 01:01

53 to 8 in Fabian's favor, looks like a done deal.

Whats the next heads up comparison?
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

18 Dec 2012 12:32

good to see that this isn't even a match. cancellara is the best rider in the world I dare say.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Dec 2012 12:33

El Pistolero wrote:2008 T-A was not WT.

Nor was it a very hard edition. Freire also won a T-A once.

You get to wear a rainbow jersey on the road more in one year than 4 years of a TT WC jersey.

yeah freire won tirreno as well and boonen never will. what's your point? freire is also a great hilly rider. just look at verona 2004

and tirreno was pt then, which is the same as wt now :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Dec 2012 12:38

Ryo Hazuki wrote:yeah freire won tirreno as well and boonen never will. what's your point? freire is also a great hilly rider. just look at verona 2004

and tirreno was pt then, which is the same as wt now :rolleyes:

Tirreno wasn't PT then. It was 2.HC

Petachi was second the year Freire won. ;)

Verona 2004 was the most boring conservative race I've seen in my life. What about it?

User avatar El Pistolero

Previous

Return to Professional road racing