Register

2014 TdF Grand Depart awarded to Yorkshire

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

15 Dec 2012 14:50

Bavarianrider wrote:Seriously, why the heck is the Tour starting in one of Europe's most waterdown trashyards?

The TDF is a pro bike race not a TV holiday review show. The racing can be potentially good depending on the route and thats the main thing.
User avatar sublimit

15 Dec 2012 17:48

El Pistolero wrote:1914 --> 2014

Cycling is a sport where history is important.

2014 is also the 50th anniversary of Poulidor vs. Anquetil on the Puy de Dome. I think that would be history that would be better celebrated during the Tour.
June 5, 1988 – The Day the Strong Men Cried
User avatar The_Z_man

15 Dec 2012 21:01

Bavarianrider wrote:Seriously, why the heck is the Tour starting in one of Europe's most waterdown trashyards?

Started in Liege this year and i'm not going back to that place after a brief visit on holiday once.
Frosty

15 Dec 2012 21:10

Frosty wrote:Started in Liege this year and i'm not going back to that place after my visit in 2010.

What's wrong with Liège? It's a beautiful city. Every city has it ugly spots of course, but are you never going to New York again because of the Bronx?

And it happens to be a city related to cycling. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 21:13

El Pistolero wrote:

So's Nottingham - don't see it going there soon unless on the monster Leeds London stage down the M1.
User avatar Tom375

15 Dec 2012 21:17

El Pistolero wrote:What's wrong with Liège? It's a beautiful city. Every city has it ugly spots of course, but are you never going to New York again because of the Bronx?

Liege? You serious? That's the crappiest city in continental Europe bar Charleroi (and yes I've been in both).
User avatar Arnout

15 Dec 2012 21:22

Tom375 wrote:So's Nottingham - don't see it going there soon unless on the monster Leeds London stage down the M1.

Cycling in Nottingham is actually an oxymoron.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

15 Dec 2012 21:24

Arnout wrote:Liege? You serious? That's the crappiest city in continental Europe bar Charleroi (and yes I've been in both).

I see you've also been to every other continental European city. I'm sure there's some Russian cities where they'd love to sell you some krokodil tears.

Charleroi is ugly though.

I've been out a few times in Liège at le Carré, can't complain, not at all. Much better experience there than any other Belgian or Dutch city I've been out to. And I live a few feet away from the "uitgaansbuurt", as we say in Dutch, in Gent.

So yeah, I'm serious.

Even Charleroi kinda has its charms. You can just see the effects of the 19th century industrialism on that city. I'm sure England has cities like that as well.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 21:25

El Pistolero wrote:What's wrong with Liège? It's a beautiful city. Every city has it ugly spots of course, but are you never going to New York again because of the Bronx?

No, the Bronx wouldnt put me off but Liege does put me off going to Liege again:)
Frosty

15 Dec 2012 21:32

Frosty wrote:No, the Bronx wouldnt put me off but Liege does put me off going to Liege again:)

I guess you'll have to wait for a British rider to do well in LBL then. ;)

But hey, I've never been to Yorkshire, so can't comment about that particular subject.

User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 21:57

El Pistolero wrote:I guess you'll have to wait for a British rider to do well in LBL then. ;)

But hey, I've never been to Yorkshire, so can't comment about that particular subject.

For another rider;) Millar was 3rd in 1988.
User avatar ferryman

15 Dec 2012 21:59

will10 wrote:Cycling in Nottingham is actually an oxymoron.

Uh huh, OK. That's why there are groups going north , south, east and west every day if you want to ride. I've never ridden anywhere in the UK more immersed in biking. Guess we can thank Raleigh for that.
LugHugger

16 Dec 2012 08:38

El Pistolero wrote:That was hardly their real reason, more like maintaining the status quo on Continental Europe.

It would be much better to run the race along these battlefields. The main burial place here for soldiers of WWI in Belgium is in fact British territory and it's a beautiful area to pass by.

I wouldn't mind the Tour starting in Verdun by the way, Belgium already had a Tour start this year. They can do a quick detour to Ypres though.

You need a symbol and Yorkshire just isn't a symbol for WWI.

If you want to do an anniverssary tour 2018 would be a better option, though individually Verdun would be 2016 and Ypres 2017.

If yoyu wanted to start an WWI aniversary in 2014 you would start in Sarajevo (don't think they put a bid in though :D )
del1962

16 Dec 2012 17:57

del1962 wrote:If you want to do an anniverssary tour 2018 would be a better option, though individually Verdun would be 2016 and Ypres 2017.

If yoyu wanted to start an WWI aniversary in 2014 you would start in Sarajevo (don't think they put a bid in though :D )

And a breakaway merchant (Voeckler?) could shoot an Ostrich? (from Blackadder, TV series)

The only thing that stands out about world war one in 1914 for me is the xmas day armistice and that is something that i dont really want to see paid too much tribute to!

Its a serious subject though and one that i think that the tour organisation will deservedly be looking to commemorate in this and the next few tours.
Frosty

16 Dec 2012 20:10

Boycott's a bit befuddled about the TDF starting in Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20734523
User avatar Tom375

16 Dec 2012 20:34

El Pistolero wrote:That was hardly their real reason, more like maintaining the status quo on Continental Europe.

It would be much better to run the race along these battlefields. The main burial place here for soldiers of WWI in Belgium is in fact British territory and it's a beautiful area to pass by.

I wouldn't mind the Tour starting in Verdun by the way, Belgium already had a Tour start this year. They can do a quick detour to Ypres though.

You need a symbol and Yorkshire just isn't a symbol for WWI.

Oh really, you do show your lack of knowledge of British history then. Even ignoring the fact that half the British Army is stationed in Catterick (its in North Yorkshire to save you looking) in December 1914 German warships attacked Scarborough killing 19 people, thus becoming the first civilian casualties of WWI in Britain.

In WWI and WWII (even more so in the Spanish Civil War of course) civilians, non-combatants became direct 'legitimate targets outside the battefield' in war for the first time. And these were the first. How much more symbolic would you like?
say it ain't so, Joe please, say it ain't so, I'm sure they're telling us lies Joe, please tell us it ain't so
they told us our hero has played his trump card he doesn't know how to go on, we're clinging to his charm and determined smile, but the good old days are gone........ were gonna get burned, burned.....
User avatar wilts rover

16 Dec 2012 20:37

Tom375 wrote:Boycott's a bit befuddled about the TDF starting in Yorkshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20734523

Controversial character but good quality on Test Match Special (cricket radio program).

Interesting hearing him talk about pressure in cricket (applies to sport generally) and how to put it in perspective. He was talking about how his dad went to work not knowing whether the mine would collapse on him, read just now that his dad was actually severely injured in a mine collapse.
Frosty

16 Dec 2012 20:37

wilts rover wrote:Oh really, you do show your lack of knowledge of British history then. Even ignoring the fact that half the British Army is stationed in Catterick (its in North Yorkshire to save you looking) in December 1914 German warships attacked Scarborough killing 19 people, thus becoming the first civilian casualties of WWI in Britain.

In WWI and WWII (even more so in the Spanish Civil War of course) civilians, non-combatants became direct 'legitimate targets outside the battefield' in war for the first time. And these were the first. How much more symbolic would you like?

Great. Thanks for this. The race can now continue.
Dazed and Confused

16 Dec 2012 21:22

Frosty wrote:And a breakaway merchant (Voeckler?) could shoot an Ostrich? (from Blackadder, TV series)

The only thing that stands out about world war one in 1914 for me is the xmas day armistice and that is something that i dont really want to see paid too much tribute to!

Its a serious subject though and one that i think that the tour organisation will deservedly be looking to commemorate in this and the next few tours.

Totally agree. Lets see what they come up with before having a debate.

Guys, a sensitive subject which will have its time for comment on here in due course no doubt. But for now, lets just get back the celebrating the Yorkshire start or not.

No disrespect intended just trying to avoid this thread becoming something it wasn't intended to be. Cheers.
User avatar ferryman

16 Dec 2012 22:10

wilts rover wrote:Oh really, you do show your lack of knowledge of British history then. Even ignoring the fact that half the British Army is stationed in Catterick (its in North Yorkshire to save you looking) in December 1914 German warships attacked Scarborough killing 19 people, thus becoming the first civilian casualties of WWI in Britain.

How about around a million people of all kinds of nationalities falling on the battlefield? And if Iepers is not symbolic then why are there so many Brits every Friday?

Ps: Ferryman, sorry will be my last post in this thread.

User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing