Register

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better overall rider

Cadel Evans
22%
Alberto Contador
78%

Total votes : 154

16 Dec 2012 10:44

Vino attacks everyone wrote:Did he have to pull on the flats into the mountains? no
Did he have to pull in the mountains? no (excpet when he attacked ofc )

Did the team keep the pace up the mountians for him personally? probably not
Did it [SIZE="5"]HELP[/SIZE] him that they did all this? yes

Just because he didn't help the team doesn't mean the team helped him
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 10:46

I'm sorry. There is no way in hell I can see Astana 2009 as a team that supported Alberto. Not with Lance and Hog.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 10:48

LaFlorecita wrote:Just because he didn't help the team doesn't mean the team helped him

?
The team did exactly what it would should do. for Lance or ALberto does not matter, the effect of their actions was just as positive for AC as for Lance.
Sure it was probably harder mentally for AC than it should have been, but the physical benefit was there all the way
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

16 Dec 2012 10:51

Vino attacks everyone wrote:?
The team did exactly what it would should do. for Lance or ALberto does not matter, the effect of their actions was just as positive for AC as for Lance.
Sure it was probably harder mentally for AC than it should have been, but the physical benefit was there all the way

Yea it must've been great for him to ride all alone being beaten up by the wind
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 10:53

Vino attacks everyone wrote:?

You ask yourself if he had to pull. Of course not, there was a whole team who could do that for Lance. Just because Alberto didn't have to do that doesn't mean he wasn't treated as an outcast that should be stopped in whatever way possible
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 11:06

LaFlorecita wrote:You ask yourself if he had to pull. Of course not, there was a whole team who could do that for Lance. Just because Alberto didn't have to do that doesn't mean he wasn't treated as an outcast that should be stopped in whatever way possible

I remember the team being somewhat split in two... the Spaniards for Alberto, the others for Lance. One thing you can say is that Alberto clearly could have taken more time on the competition if the Hog didn't stop him from attacking a couple of times. And that it's probably hard to try and win the Tour in such an environment, where the manager wants someone else to win.
theyoungest

16 Dec 2012 11:12

SiAp1984 wrote:Clearly Evans as he never has lost any wins "off the road". AC cannot make up this deficit. Plus, Evans has shown some great results in one-day-races (World Champion) and classic-like stages (as in this strade bianche Giro stage some years ago) which is something AC is just not capable of. BTW, Evans is (or was) able to perform on a very high level without any team support. I am not sure about this point, but I guess that's not AC's strong suit, too.

What contador did on 2 hills a descent and lots of.open road.flat into fuente de absolutely kills what Evans did.in moltacino.

Absolutely kills it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

16 Dec 2012 11:15

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm sorry. There is no way in hell I can see Astana 2009 as a team that supported Alberto. Not with Lance and Hog.

Sensitive part prevails over logical one. :)
User avatar airstream

16 Dec 2012 11:30

The Hitch wrote:What contador did on 2 hills a descent and lots of.open road.flat into fuente de absolutely kills what Evans did.in moltacino.

Absolutely kills it.

By the result or by strength? in terms of the result, yes. By in terms of strength I don't think so. That was Purito's fail mostly. Contador rode by himself 15-20k alone and during all of them was losing to disorganized pursuit out of Valverde and Quintana.
User avatar airstream

16 Dec 2012 11:38

airstream wrote:Hehe, believe if Bruyneel and Armstrong had wanted Contador not to win the Tour too much, he wouldn't have taken it. It could have been very ugly and grotesque.

What would they do? He won the thing by 6 minutes and was always in control.

You are talking about some act of.violence that would have rendered him.incapable of completing the race?

So what have we learned? If brunyeel and Armstrong decided.to kill contador he probably wouldn't have won the tour that year.

Well done. Your contributions.continue to inspire
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

16 Dec 2012 11:40

The Hitch wrote:What would they do? He won the thing by 6 minutes and was always in control.

You are talking about some act of.violence that would have rendered him.incapable of completing the race?

So what have we learned? If brunyeel and Armstrong decided.to kill contador he probably wouldn't have won the tour that year.

Airstream would've supported that
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 11:46

LaFlorecita wrote:Airstream would've supported that
In my country this is call 'baiting'. :rolleyes:

airstream wrote:Trolling is an exclusive patrimony of Contador fanboys who write using principle 'I see what I like and I don't what to know anything I dislike'. I'm just a peaceful outsider..
Yup, another thread hijacked by Alberto's fan boys and girls. You should keep this as your sig though. :)
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

16 Dec 2012 11:46

airstream wrote:By the result or by strength? in terms of the result, yes. By in terms of strength I don't think so. That was Purito's fail mostly. Contador rode by himself 15-20k alone and during all of them was losing to disorganized pursuit out of Valverde and Quintana.

Not just purito he held.off valverde and henao and riders.from.the break looking for.a stage. And put.minutes into.gesink and froome and everyone other than valverde and.purito.pretty.much ( purito still lost 2 minutes)

And what was Evans great show of strength. I know people get off on seeing mud but from a racing pov he followed cunego and vino for 15k and won a sprint. His main opponent for the stage - nibali, crashed with the entire liquigas team ( we are seeing quite a pattern of Evans achievements coming when opponents crashe - tdf, fw, cobbles)

And nibali still only finished about a minute behind and he was shown repeatedly to have to wait for basso.

User avatar The Hitch

16 Dec 2012 11:47

cineteq wrote:In my country this is call 'baiting'. :rolleyes:

Nah I'm just joking around a bit.
User avatar LaFlorecita

16 Dec 2012 11:55

El Pistolero wrote:I fail to see how it's irrelevant? Wiggins won in a year without Contador, Andy Schleck and Samuel Sanchez. His biggest threat was his own team-mate for crying out loud.

In the time trials, both Cancellara and Martin were constantly plagued by bad luck this season.

Wait.. so you are saying that Wiggins is no better than in 2009?
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

16 Dec 2012 11:58

Froome19 wrote:Wait.. so you are saying that Wiggins is no better than in 2009?

I say he would've also won the 2009 Tour if he had to face the same competition as in 2012.

He was fourth in 2009:

---> Armstrong wasn't there
---> Andy Schleck wasn't there
---> Alberto Contador wasn't there

====> Wiggins would've won in 2009 had he faced the same field as in 2012. I'm sorry but Wiggins has yet to proof himself against the biggest riders of the sport.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

16 Dec 2012 12:04

LaFlorecita wrote:I'm sorry. There is no way in hell I can see Astana 2009 as a team that supported Alberto. Not with Lance and Hog.

Indeed they may not have supported Alberto, but they did help him indirectly or not..
El Pistolero wrote:I say he would've also won the 2009 Tour if he had to face the same competition as in 2012.

He was fourth in 2009:

---> Armstrong wasn't there
---> Andy Schleck wasn't there
---> Alberto Contador wasn't there

====> Wiggins would've won in 2009 had he faced the same field as in 2012. I'm sorry but Wiggins has yet to proof himself against the biggest riders of the sport.

That is not the question or the discussion though, however true or not true it may in fact be.

Though I am still confused as to whether you are saying that Wiggins has not improved since 2009..:confused: ;)
Looking at his time trialling is enough proof for me in that regard..
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19

16 Dec 2012 12:16

cineteq wrote:
Yup, another thread hijacked by Alberto's fan boys and girls.

You are so right. Discussions on contador and his abilities have absolutely no place in this thread about contador's and cadel's abilities.

User avatar The Hitch

16 Dec 2012 12:24

The Hitch wrote:You are so right. Discussions on contador and his abilities have absolutely no place in this thread about contador's and cadel's abilities.
Glad you agree. A self-serving thread indeed. :o
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

16 Dec 2012 12:25

The Hitch wrote:What would they do? He won the thing by 6 minutes and was always in control.

kicking away like rasmussen. do you think it is difficult to cook up a thingy of a certain sort for Contador? that is as easy as pie
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing