Log in:  

Register

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better overall rider

Cadel Evans
34
22%
Alberto Contador
120
78%
 
Total votes : 154

20 Dec 2012 18:31

Echoes wrote:Reporting to the mods is really ... cowardice. :o
And on top of that, it's done anonymously.

Shall I ever report to the mods when I see a post that I don't appreciate? Sir, no Sir. Freedom for Christ's sake.

I don't know what to call this. I'm staggered. I mean, I'm feeling like in the old schoolyard when we reported to the teachers (or perhaps in 1942...).

Sad, very sad. :(


And no I don't like this omerta rule about doping but I tend to respect it whenever possible. However sometimes, it's impossible. Otherwise it seems like false pleading to me.



What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:


He's won the Vuelta two times already. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

20 Dec 2012 18:32

Echoes wrote:What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:


He isn't .
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 18,839
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

20 Dec 2012 19:57

Echoes wrote:

What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:


A spring classics rider- your favorite.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,711
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

20 Dec 2012 20:05

The Hitch wrote:A spring classics rider


2005 Madrid
Tom Boonen (BEL) Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Anthony Geslin (FRA)

2006 Salzburg
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Erik Zabel (GER) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

2007 Stuttgart
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Stefan Schumacher (GER)

2008 Varese
Alessandro Ballan (ITA) Damiano Cunego (ITA) Matti Breschel (DEN)

2009 Mendrisio
Cadel Evans (AUS) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP)

2010 Geelong
Thor Hushovd (NOR) Matti Breschel (DEN) Allan Davis (AUS)

2011 Copenhagen
Mark Cavendish (GBR) Matthew Goss (AUS) André Greipel (GER)

2012 Valkenburg
Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

You sure about that? ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

20 Dec 2012 23:51

Echoes wrote:What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:


A rider that you're apparently quite envious of. Teachers in the US get the summer's off. Are they lazy too?
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,734
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:30

21 Dec 2012 02:41

Echoes wrote:
What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:


I call him a Dual Vuelta winner :D:D
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,688
Joined: 20 Mar 2010 15:20
Location: PA, USA

21 Dec 2012 02:49

Evans for sure, if we are basing the vote on natural talent.

Contador for sure, if we forget everything and just look at results.
User avatar Woody22
Junior Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: 23 May 2010 11:49

21 Dec 2012 18:33

The Hitch wrote:A spring classics rider- your favorite.


If you're talking about Fabian Cancellara who is not necessarily my favourite, I'll just remind you that he was not on holiday, he was laying on a hospital cot ...:rolleyes:

Angliru wrote:A rider that you're apparently quite envious of. Teachers in the US get the summer's off. Are they lazy too?


I'm not envious of anybody. I'm just thinking of the future of my favourite sport, the most beautiful sport of the world. And with such riders, I see it very gloomy.

The second part of your quote is simply beyond the limits of indecency...

Carols wrote:I call him a Dual Vuelta winner


Those Contadortards are really boring ... Always have to repeat myself. He's not interested in the Vuelta, he only races it when he's kept from Bore de France. If he's allowed to race Bore de France, he would never be interested in anything else.

And even when he's racing those other races, which are still only GT's, it's still not more than 68 days of racing overall, as has been shown earlier on this thread.

Always repeating oneself, boring ...
Echoes
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,840
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 17:57

21 Dec 2012 18:51

Evans wouldn't have been interested in the Vuelta either if he won the Tour. The only reason he rode it was because he always failed in the Tour until 2011. Do you think Eddy Merckx gave a **** about the Vuelta? He didn't. Neither did Freddy Maertens who viewed it as a prep race for the Giro.

Contador is the only rider in the peloton to have won 2 GTs in a season and he did great in 2011 as well. And before you try and show off Evans starting in the Tour Down Under, remember that a victory in the Tour Down Under is what Contador considers his most beautiful victory. ;)

Contador is racing to win in every single one of those 68 days. I can't say the same about Evans.

7 GTs versus 1. Case closed.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

21 Dec 2012 19:05

Woody22 wrote:Evans for sure, if we are basing the vote on natural talent.

Contador for sure, if we forget everything and just look at results.


What :confused: Define natural talent
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 18,839
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

22 Dec 2012 09:12

El Pistolero wrote:Evans wouldn't have been interested in the Vuelta either if he won the Tour. The only reason he rode it was because he always failed in the Tour until 2011. Do you think Eddy Merckx gave a **** about the Vuelta? He didn't. Neither did Freddy Maertens who viewed it as a prep race for the Giro.

Contador is the only rider in the peloton to have won 2 GTs in a season and he did great in 2011 as well. And before you try and show off Evans starting in the Tour Down Under, remember that a victory in the Tour Down Under is what Contador considers his most beautiful victory. ;)

Contador is racing to win in every single one of those 68 days. I can't say the same about Evans.

7 GTs versus 1. Case closed.


Contador only said that because he was returning to racing after his brain operation. Contador gifting stages and not going all out when he raced in races like the Dauphine shows that. If you substituted Merckx for Contador I would agree. He even wanted to win every kermesse or criterium he rode in. Evans never gives the impression he is racing to train for another race as other GT riders do. He always tries unlike the brothers Schleck, Menchov and many others. I think you are confusing success with effort. Look at Evan's wins and podiums in smaller stage races plus four podiums at the Dauphine, plenty of top tens in the classics plus the Fleche win. Not the record of someone who sets himself to only win certain races every year.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,476
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

22 Dec 2012 12:29

movingtarget wrote:Contador only said that because he was returning to racing after his brain operation. Contador gifting stages and not going all out when he raced in races like the Dauphine shows that. If you substituted Merckx for Contador I would agree. He even wanted to win every kermesse or criterium he rode in. Evans never gives the impression he is racing to train for another race as other GT riders do. He always tries unlike the brothers Schleck, Menchov and many others. I think you are confusing success with effort. Look at Evan's wins and podiums in smaller stage races plus four podiums at the Dauphine, plenty of top tens in the classics plus the Fleche win. Not the record of someone who sets himself to only win certain races every year.


I think you confuse gifting stages with not wanting to win. He wants to win the overall GC. He is less concerned with stage wins. ;)

Gifting out stages makes you a lot of friends in the peloton. That can come in handy for other races as we've seen now already. Take for example the Fuente De stage at the Vuelta this year...
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: woodburn and 8 guests

Back to top