Register

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Better overall rider

Cadel Evans
22%
Alberto Contador
78%

Total votes : 154

15 Dec 2012 11:50

Answering strictly the question at hand, Evans is the better overal rider.

Zam_Olyas wrote:The next poll should be Who is the better rider Robo Basso 2006 or Cyborg Wiggins 2012.btw I think not evans in this poll.
Yeah, who's going to open this thread? I wouldn't mind seeing also biohazard in the mix. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

15 Dec 2012 12:06

Don't be late Pedro wrote:So maybe Andy is better than Contador on the cobbles as well ;)

Looking down the list he is also better than Vansummeren, Ballan Flecha, Boom, Hincapie, Breschel, Ogrady;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

15 Dec 2012 12:50

The "epicness" of Contador beats the "allroundness" of Evans. So Velasco it is :D
User avatar trevim

15 Dec 2012 12:54

Awesome go go go Alberto I hope we see this in le tour next year :D
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

15 Dec 2012 13:40

The Hitch wrote:Looking down the list he is also better than Vansummeren, Ballan Flecha, Boom, Hincapie, Breschel, Ogrady;)

That only goes to show just how underrated Andy is...
I was awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider of the Day', generally given to the most spectacular loser of the day.

― David Millar, Racing Through the Dark
User avatar Don't be late Pedro

15 Dec 2012 13:47

Judging Evans vs Contador on cobbles is irrelevant unless ASO decides to have a cobbled stage every year. Or they both show up in Roubaix.

Juding Evans vs Contador sprinting abilities on a flat piece of road is also irrelevant for the same reasons.

The only relevant areas to compare them are:

- Climbing: Contador is better
- Descending: Evans is better
- Recuperation: Contador is better
- Consistency over a season: Contador is better
- Time trial: Contador is better
- Hilly one day races: Evans is better
- Uphill sprints: Meh, not enough to go by... It's very close anyway.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 13:57

El Pistolero wrote:Judging Evans vs Contador on cobbles is irrelevant unless ASO decides to have a cobbled stage every year. Or they both show up in Roubaix.

Juding Evans vs Contador sprinting abilities on a flat piece of road is also irrelevant for the same reasons.

Evans crushes AC on the stones, especially if it's raining.

Nobody cares about three week races anyways. :)
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
User avatar Scott SoCal

15 Dec 2012 14:15

If Evans had realized he had a shot at winning classics 5 years earlier, this might have been close. But as it stands now, Contador is the better rider by a mile. Simply because the difference on the hills between them is small, but on mountains and GTs, Contador wins easily.

Comparing Evans to someone like Valverde might have been more fair to be honest.
Dutchsmurf

15 Dec 2012 14:18

Dutchsmurf wrote:If Evans had realized he had a shot at winning classics 5 years earlier, this might have been close. But as it stands now, Contador is the better rider by a mile. Simply because the difference on the hills between them is small, but on mountains and GTs, Contador wins easily.

Comparing Evans to someone like Valverde might have been more fair to be honest.

And a lot more interesting.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 15:17

Contador by a country mile.. next poll
User avatar Tom375

15 Dec 2012 15:26

-I'd say they're moderately close in one day races with Evans having the edge.
-Stage races, Contador has shown that he's far better.
-Since the only real time that sprinting may come into play when they are competing is likely on an uphill grade I'd give the edge to Evans.
-TT's I'd rate them as even or maybe give Evans a slight edge.
-Mental toughness Contador but Evans has improved immensely in this area.

In the end it's Contador.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

15 Dec 2012 16:35

El Pistolero wrote:Judging Evans vs Contador on cobbles is irrelevant unless ASO decides to have a cobbled stage every year. Or they both show up in Roubaix.

- Descending: Evans is better

Contador ends his season in July... I'd give consistency over a season to Evans.

And TT is pretty much equal.
Wigwan

15 Dec 2012 16:50

Wigwan wrote:Contador ends his season in July... I'd give consistency over a season to Evans.

And TT is pretty much equal.

Where was Evans in the Tour of 2009 and 2010?

Has Evans ever won anything of note after July? Besides his WC win that is.

Contador has 2 Vuelta titles by the way. Contador always performs well in every race he starts. Evans doesn't, though that doesn't mean he's Andy Schleck of course.

TT is pretty equal? Do I really need to post Contador's wins in the time trials versus those of Evans?

Anyway it's 7 GTs versus 1 GT and a WC.

User avatar El Pistolero

15 Dec 2012 16:57

Wigwan wrote:And TT is pretty much equal.

TdF 2011 Stage 20 Results
GER 1 MARTIN, Tony (HTC-HIGHROAD)
AUS 2 EVANS, Cadel (BMC RACING) +7
ESP 3 CONTADOR, Alberto (SAXO BANK) +1.06
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

15 Dec 2012 17:01

cineteq wrote:TdF 2011 Stage 20 Results

If you take results since 2007, actually Contador is 13-6 against him

Btw, I think that TT from Contador is pretty amazing, considering that what happened in previous 2 days
burning

15 Dec 2012 17:03

burning wrote:If you take results since 2007, actually Contador is 13-6 against him
It's only fair and relevant to take the latest result where they went head to head.
User avatar cineteq

15 Dec 2012 17:04

cineteq wrote:TdF 2011 Stage 20 Results

I'm waiting for someone to post Annecy

Btw indeed cineteq. It's really impressive for Contador to perform so good on the last ITT after one of the toughest giro's ever. Especially since the ITT had not purpose anymore for him.

Come on man. I thought you were better at trolling
User avatar Miburo

15 Dec 2012 17:35

Evans is a bit better at TT actually.
User avatar airstream

15 Dec 2012 17:36

airstream wrote:Evans is a bit better at TT actually.

No he isn't :rolleyes:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

15 Dec 2012 17:43

Netserk wrote:No he isn't :rolleyes:

I'm absolutely sure any 30+ k straight open for winds distance [iow, classic GT long TT] would be ridden faster by Evans, if all things being equal. Contador is stronger in prologues and short TT's. But as a result, it is Evans, surely if we give priority to GT time trials which we do I think due to their extreme importance. I see no reason to lay out statictics or something. We are all awared equally.

I'm discussing with to the core partial cycling fan.
User avatar airstream

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing