Log in:  

Register

Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

So, can he do it?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2013 13:05

No
133
73%
Yes
12
7%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too
3
2%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East
35
19%
 
Total votes : 183

21 Dec 2012 20:20

Alphabet wrote:Contador couldn't do it. Wiggins has no chance.


Its a matter of preparation. Contadors fault was he tried to be in top shape in both races. Hence he was fatigued and wasnt at his Giro form when the Tour kicked off.

Anyone going for the double should try to win the Giro by a small margin, in order to save energy for the Tour. And not crush your closest opponents chances like Contador did in 2011.
biopass
Junior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2010 22:19

21 Dec 2012 20:42

No options for him losing both?

Going with the masses, I see him winning the Giro, though not without some struggle, and doing well for half the Tour before falling back, and finishing 15 minutes or so back.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,535
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

21 Dec 2012 23:43

Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
User avatar Jelantik
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,829
Joined: 19 Jul 2010 18:30

21 Dec 2012 23:53

Jelantik wrote:Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.


Tiralongo, Vannotti, Agnoli, Kess and Brajko are more or less confirmed so he will have a very good team. And he won't have to share it with Sagan,
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,416
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

22 Dec 2012 21:50

Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
User avatar Joachim
Junior Member
 
Posts: 580
Joined: 22 Dec 2012 20:32

22 Dec 2012 22:36

I was chatting with a mate this lunch time and he said that nobody can do a double GT in a season any more. Well, nobody "normal"

I think the Giro - Vuelta is do-able as there is sufficent recovery time inbetween no problems. I think the Giro - Tour is do-able, but only if one is TT heavy like this years Tour.

I just cant see Wiggo doing them both this year with an eye to winning both. I think his ego thinks he can do both, but IMO, next season he wont win any GT and tbh, I dont see Sky hitting the podium on any GT for reasons thats kept to the clinic, unless the Dawg breaks.
User avatar MartinGT
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48
Location: Leeds, UK

22 Dec 2012 22:36

I remember during entire last season people wondering: "Did he peak too early?", and at the end it turned out everything was perfectly timed and planned.
What I want to say is - I believe they (Sky) know how to engineer season and hit needed levels at the right moment.
My concern regarding double is Wiggo. I'm not sure he has the double in his legs. Especially against expected Tour field.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

22 Dec 2012 22:51

My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
User avatar Joachim
Junior Member
 
Posts: 580
Joined: 22 Dec 2012 20:32

22 Dec 2012 22:56

I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

22 Dec 2012 23:00

Joachim wrote:Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?


Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

Joachim wrote:My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.


Yep, pretty much everything went exactly right and according to plan for Wiggo in 2012. I'm not convinced we will see a 2012 Wiggins again.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,328
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

22 Dec 2012 23:19

Afrank wrote:Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

.


He almost won it in 2011. If he went for it, he could do it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,086
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

22 Dec 2012 23:25

serfla wrote:I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.


So, you basically think he has a chance of a GT as long as he avoids Alberto;)
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,615
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

22 Dec 2012 23:29

The Hitch wrote:He almost won it in 2011. If he went for it, he could do it.


Still though, I don't think he will win it. I doubt he would even enter it again unless he crashes out of the Tour.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,328
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

22 Dec 2012 23:57

ferryman wrote:So, you basically think he has a chance of a GT as long as he avoids Alberto;)

Or if GT looks like 2012 Tour.
But it's more about competition than the route, yes.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

23 Dec 2012 20:00

He needs everything to line up for him again...rivals compromised/absent, TT heavy course, a team geared to dragging him to victory at the expense of everyone else and (most importantly) a Brad driven, primed, in focus and in peak shape.
User avatar armchairclimber
Junior Member
 
Posts: 835
Joined: 16 Jul 2011 19:44

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asero831, diggercuz, Eagle, escartin, Fernandez, jens_attacks, liamito, Orbit501, Pricey_sky, roundabout, Ruudz0r, Slaav and 69 guests

Back to top