Register

Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

So, can he do it?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2013 13:05

No
73%
Yes
7%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too
2%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East
19%

Total votes : 183

17 Dec 2012 18:27

If Contador couldn't, it says only about him.

It is a matter of a super rider exceptionally. Contador may be can, Froome, Wiggins maybe. Probably, one will seriously hit a GT scene in the nearer years. It can happen next year, but it won't a miracle if no one wins in 50 years. Anyway, one should have much luck and many coincidences to do this. But I stick to my opinion. It would be easier for a rider with an emphasis on TT.

The main problem is a double has to be a need of supreme level as everything less significant should already be achieved. So in reality such an attempt can occur only from Contador, but I'm not absolutely sure. Even 2011 try was one global necessity for fear of skipping the Tour. Contador said something like he might be try after the 2010 Tour, but I don't think he would make his mind up go for it purposefully. Winning a Giro-Tour double like an improvization is obviously unlikely.
User avatar airstream

17 Dec 2012 18:45

Afrank wrote:Basso couldn't do it, hesjedal couldn't do it, Contador couldn't do it, so there is no way Wiggins can do it.

Hesjedal crashed out so we don't know for certain that he "couldn't" do it.
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
User avatar Angliru

17 Dec 2012 18:52

airstream wrote:If Contador couldn't, it says only about him.

It is a matter of a super rider exceptionally. Contador may be can, Froome, Wiggins maybe. Probably, one will seriously hit a GT scene in the nearer years. It can happen next year, but it won't a miracle if no one wins in 50 years. Anyway, one should have much luck and many coincidences to do this. But I stick to my opinion. It would be easier for a rider with an emphasis on TT.

The main problem is a double has to be a need of supreme level as everything less significant should already be achieved. So in reality such an attempt can occur only from Contador, but I'm not absolutely sure. Even 2011 try was one global necessity for fear of skipping the Tour. Contador said something like he might be try after the 2010 Tour, but I don't think he would make his mind up go for it purposefully. Winning a Giro-Tour double like an improvization is obviously unlikely.

This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?
User avatar Angliru

17 Dec 2012 18:55

Angliru wrote:Hesjedal crashed out so we don't know for certain that he "couldn't" do it.

Yes, that true, but it's unlikely that Hesjedal would have beaten Wiggins on those parcours
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

17 Dec 2012 19:07

If he goes for both, he'll win both,.
User avatar Shardi

17 Dec 2012 19:16

Angliru wrote:This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?

I was saying he can, not he will. Ha can because all other GTs were won and he can deserve to take an extra risk and try even if he fails and the entire season will be a ineffective sacrifice. I just draw a principal line before 'total palmares' and 'actual strength' so I consider Froome #1 favorite for the Tour, though, clearly he won't try a double at an early date.

Fans and fanboys can be very different. Say jens_attacks, a big fanboy actually, but it is unfolded in a very kind manner. Blind fanboysism towards huge mountain show! Full contact! That is great. But many things make me laugh. Some fans assert a right for Contador's exceptionality and being underlinedly by far stronger than others so zealously and desperately. Lol, he defends himself far less actively than one do this on the forum. I'm not against fanboysism, I'm against when fanboysism makes people sling mud and belittle other riders. Calling people idiots, attempts to give rivals a role of gazelle, saying 'i hate him because he can beat Alberto'. There was a lot of things. :)

CRAP? Damn... What crap? With what should I agree?
User avatar airstream

17 Dec 2012 19:54

Afrank wrote:Yes, that true, but it's unlikely that Hesjedal would have beaten Wiggins on those parcours

On the day the Tour started, Cartlon Kirby picked Hejsedal for the win, so yeah he had no chance
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

17 Dec 2012 20:04

Afrank wrote:Yes, that true, but it's unlikely that Hesjedal would have beaten Wiggins on those parcours

Unfortunately we'll never know for certain.:(
User avatar Angliru

17 Dec 2012 20:05

Yes, any rider can. If the rider is 100% and he have a great team that allow. The team must protect and he (leader) shall not fall and pricinpalmente not have anyone better than him in the peloton.
User avatar pdluz7

17 Dec 2012 20:41

I like Wiggo, but not a chance in heck of doing the double next year or any year*
Its simply beyond anyone in the modern era. The residual effects of the Giro simply must affect the tour.

*unless they REALLY give favorable parcours with maybe 2-300km of ITT.
User avatar Catwhoorg

17 Dec 2012 20:56

I think it's possible. The double is hardly unprecedented. The key is being able to win the Giro without being at your best. Obviously that takes a rider with a large margin over the rest of the competition

Contador failed in 2011 partly because of crashes in the Tour but mostly because he was too good in the Giro - hitting that level of form again probably is impossible. If he'd been at a much lower level in May but still good enough to win narrowly then he may well have been in peak form for the Tour
User avatar Eyeballs Out

17 Dec 2012 21:04

Eshnar wrote:Basso 2006 was definitely gonna do it ;)

Against Ullrich 2006? No chance :cool:
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

18 Dec 2012 00:24

The Hitch wrote:On the day the Tour started, Cartlon Kirby picked Hejsedal for the win, so yeah he had no chance

You mean he didn't pick Flecha? Surprising
William H

18 Dec 2012 00:43

Wiggins will win neither next year, unless a Sky DS lies to him and telsl him that there are free bars around the next bend, for the first rider to reach them.
User avatar BYOP88

18 Dec 2012 00:44

I don't want to give away how I voted but I really hope Brad's Arabic/Hebrew classes are going well:rolleyes:
User avatar ferryman

18 Dec 2012 00:46

ferryman wrote:I don't want to give away how I voted but I really hope Brad's Arabic/Hebrew classes are going well:rolleyes:

Me too.

10 char
User avatar BYOP88

18 Dec 2012 00:48

He will win the giro, Cant see anyone getting close enough to him with the team he will have and the long TT.

He wont win the Tour though, Sky will need to focus on Froome as he's the only one who could come close to Contador.
User avatar Pricey_sky

18 Dec 2012 00:57

Of course he won't do it, but Kudos for raising the topic. At least this means Wiggins will go for the win at the Giro.
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

18 Dec 2012 03:23

Of course he can do it, but he probably won't.

I honestly, can't see Nibali beating him in the Giro. Quite a few people seem to seriously over-estimate Nibali's climbing ability.

Like Wiggo himself, Nibali is one of those riders who just has to hang in there when the true mountain goats pile on the pressure.

But, unlike Wiggo, Nibali is rubbish at pacing himself and riding to a schedule.

Unlike Purito, and Hesjedal, Nibali will at least have team support, but certainly no more team support than Wiggo ... probably less in quality and quantity.
Tei6chai

18 Dec 2012 12:43

he won't win either. which is great
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing