Log in:  

Register

Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

So, can he do it?

Poll ended at 16 Apr 2013 13:05

No
133
73%
Yes
12
7%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too
3
2%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East
35
19%
 
Total votes : 183

18 Dec 2012 13:54

I don't think he can win the tour even at a 100% next year, so I voted no.
User avatar T-Nielsen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 23 May 2011 18:19

18 Dec 2012 14:10

No, he might win the Giro next year but that will be difficult enough. If Contador and Andy are back in the TdF and both are 100% then Wiggins won't stand a chance. At the moment I think the only one capable of doing the double is Contador.

But I don't think Wiggins is seriously considering defending his Tour title. He will aim for the Giro and start the Tour to help Froome. His recent statement is just a gesture because he can't say he isn't interested in winning the Tour next year.
Leonardus
Junior Member
 
Posts: 199
Joined: 23 Feb 2012 14:34

18 Dec 2012 14:28

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he won't win either. which is great


Undoubtedly you said that about his chances of winning this year's tour, he won that and a few other races too. Which is great.
Vino love the rain. Vino love the cold. Vino love the hot. Vino not feel the difference.
User avatar happychappy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 862
Joined: 19 Apr 2010 21:49
Location: Nowhere

18 Dec 2012 14:49

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he won't win either. which is great


Betancur can only do the Giro or Tour not both, so there has to be one left over for Wiggins to win..
El Pistolero wrote: Gratz to Cav.
User avatar Froome19
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,119
Joined: 30 Dec 2011 13:34
Location: London

18 Dec 2012 15:11

wow- so Wiggo wins the Tour "under a very unique set of circumstances" & suddenly he's taking about doing the double?


wow.....

& mean- wow....

either at Sky they're foolishly overconfidence about their "programme" or Wiggo is back on drinking....
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,337
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

18 Dec 2012 15:16

hfer07 wrote:wow- so Wiggo wins the Tour "under a very unique set of circumstances" & suddenly he's taking about doing the double?


wow.....

& mean- wow....

either at Sky they're foolishly overconfidence about their "programme" or Wiggo is back on drinking....


He is

Image
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita
Senior Member
 
Posts: 18,933
Joined: 15 May 2011 09:53
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

18 Dec 2012 15:17

hfer07 wrote:wow- so Wiggo wins the Tour "under a very unique set of circumstances" & suddenly he's taking about doing the double?


wow.....

& mean- wow....

either at Sky they're foolishly overconfidence about their "programme" or Wiggo is back on drinking....


a little bit of both is my guess :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,361
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

18 Dec 2012 15:24

Wiggins says he is in better shape than last year at this point in time. Considering 2010 I dont know how far to trust him. It is good to see him drinking and enjoying himself on his week break from training in Mallorca..
Team Sky: Dauphine; Paris Nice; Romandy;[SIZE="1"][/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Tour:[/SIZE]
2012 and 2013:D
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]
The Hitch wrote:I think my post was the biggest epic fail in the history of the forum. I made 3 points and I was confused in all.
Lets forget it ever happened.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I doubt any rider will start with handlebars
User avatar Ruby United
Junior Member
 
Posts: 742
Joined: 03 Jan 2012 18:16
Location: London

18 Dec 2012 17:50

You shouldn't be drinking that much anymore this late in your preparation. From all the news stories I've heard he hasn't done much training either. Was also out for quite some time because of that car accident.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

18 Dec 2012 17:57

El Pistolero wrote:You shouldn't be drinking that much anymore this late in your preparation. From all the news stories I've heard he hasn't done much training either. Was also out for quite some time because of that car accident.


It's great when you're wrong more than once in a post.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

18 Dec 2012 17:58

will10 wrote:It's great when you're wrong more than once in a post.


Don't come complaining when Wiggo doesn't perform as good anymore as 2012. ;)

He's in better shape from what exactly? Smoking all the marginal gains?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

18 Dec 2012 17:59

El Pistolero wrote:Don't come complaining when Wiggo doesn't perform as good anymore as 2012. ;)

He's in better shape from what exactly? Smoking all the marginal gains?


I think you have me mistaken for a Wiggins fan.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

18 Dec 2012 18:01

will10 wrote:I think you have me mistaken for a Wiggins fan.


Not at all, I know you're not a Wiggins fan. Doesn't mean you can't be wrong about him though. ;)

This isn't the time of Bernard Hinault anymore where you could do nothing for a whole winter.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

18 Dec 2012 18:02

El Pistolero wrote:Not at all, I know you're not a Wiggins fan. Doesn't mean you can't be wrong about him though. ;)


When you catch me posting about how he'll win the Giro and/or Tour next year, let me know.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

18 Dec 2012 18:04

will10 wrote:When you catch me posting about how he'll win the Giro and/or Tour next year, let me know.


If he doesn't win the Giro then he clearly stuffed up his preparation because with last year's form it should be a walk in the park. Unless he crashes or gets terribly sick of course.

His early season form can't possibly be any good or he's the most talented cyclist in the world. These post-season pictures of Wiggins and Froome are hilarious. So much difference. :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

18 Dec 2012 18:15

El Pistolero wrote:If he doesn't win the Giro then he clearly stuffed up his preparation because with last year's form it should be a walk in the park. Unless he crashes or gets terribly sick of course.

His early season form can't possibly be any good or he's the most talented cyclist in the world. These post-season pictures of Wiggins and Froome are hilarious. So much difference. :o


What are you going on about?

All will10 did was say that you were wrong to speculate that Wiggins hadnt done much preperation.

And off that you project a bunch of imagined predictions on will10 and attack him for making them, when they all came from your wild imagination and notoriously poor comprehension skills.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,761
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

18 Dec 2012 18:17

The Hitch wrote:What are you going on about?

All will10 did was say that you were wrong to speculate that Wiggins hadnt done much preperation.

And off that you project a bunch of imagined predictions on will10 and attack him for making them, when they all came from your wild imagination and notoriously poor comprehension skills.


Taking a look at his second chin says all about Wiggins preparation. Why would I be wrong about his preparation? Because you say so? :o

Is condescension the only type of argument you're capable of using?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

18 Dec 2012 19:07

El Pistolero wrote:
Is condescension the only type of argument you're capable of using?


I wasnt making an argument. I asked why you were totally taking out of context everything will said.

. Why would I be wrong about his preparation? Because you say so?


I never said anything about Wiggins peperation. I have no idea how its going.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 25,761
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

18 Dec 2012 19:10

happychappy wrote:Undoubtedly you said that about his chances of winning this year's tour, he won that and a few other races too. Which is great.


no I didn't say that about this years tour :rolleyes: I knew very well he could win with the **** course and field that was there.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,084
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

18 Dec 2012 19:19

nope he cant!! Gesink will however ;)
Task_Force
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 21 Jun 2011 14:26
Location: Eersel

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, bala v, Google [Bot], The Barb and 13 guests

Back to top