Log in:  

Register

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

Wiggins
52
30%
Nibali
51
30%
Rodriguez
11
6%
Hesjedal
10
6%
Gesink
21
12%
Sanchez
5
3%
Basso
6
4%
Scarponi
2
1%
A colombian
4
2%
Other/Vino
9
5%
 
Total votes : 171

24 Dec 2012 17:51

and as always el calimero has to have the last word.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,576
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Dec 2012 18:07

Lol, this is what I'm talking about. You guys never try and counter my posts with cycling related stuff, but only personal insults. I could've just as easily posted this on a different account and you'd probably be agreeing with me. :o

What's your obsession with Calimero anyway?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 19:10

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, this is what I'm talking about. You guys never try and counter my posts with cycling related stuff, but only personal insults. I could've just as easily posted this on a different account and you'd probably be agreeing with me. :o

What's your obsession with Calimero anyway?


says the guy who literlaly comes out of nowhere with some random cancellara bashing
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,576
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Dec 2012 19:16

more calimero talk and bans will be handed. back on topic all of you.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

24 Dec 2012 19:19

With J-Rod looking for the Tour next year, I'm switching to Samu. He was definitely the best climber in 2010-11 Tours after Bertie and Andy, and I expect him to show his class, as they say in horse racing.
phanatic
Junior Member
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 16 Apr 2011 18:39

24 Dec 2012 19:25

Ryo Hazuki wrote:says the guy who literlaly comes out of nowhere with some random cancellara bashing


No, I reacted on Cancellara's news that he was riding the Giro and that he was attracted by the hard stages in the first week. That's hardly random. Just expressing my opinion lol.

phanatic wrote:With J-Rod looking for the Tour next year, I'm switching to Samu. He was definitely the best climber in 2010-11 Tours after Bertie and Andy, and I expect him to show his class, as they say in horse racing.


He's getting old though. I don't really know who will win. If Wiggins gets the same level as next year he'll win it I think. Otherwise it will be wide open. Hesjedal shouldn't be underestimated I guess. Although that's maybe the reason why he won't win next year. ;)

I'd love for Samu to win, but he said some pretty stupid things to the press recently.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 20:16

El Pistolero wrote:Lol, this is what I'm talking about. You guys never try and counter my posts with cycling related stuff, but only personal insults. I could've just as easily posted this on a different account and you'd probably be agreeing with me. :o


Excuse me where did I personally insult you?

The reason i never responded with an argument is because I dont care that Cancellara pulled out of the tt in 2009. Yeah he did, well done. Hes said and done some other crap too in his career.

Not all of us think the cyclists we like are infallible.

And the reason no one is responding when you try to sell Cancellara as a weak rider scared of hard races is because no one other than you believes that.

So when you kept bringing that up and wondering why we werent "responding with cycling arguments" its because we all just think - "whatever".

The only reason the thing even went on as long as it did is because you started to say that I was getting "angry" and then when I ignored this you went a level further and starting telling me that I was getting "mad" and that I need to "get over it" ?

And i thought id make it clear to you that no Cancellara fan in the world is going to become "mad" and "angry" becuase some uber patriotic belgian kid who has had arguments with half the forum says he thinks Cancellara is weak.

You made clear 3 years ago you werent a Cancellara fan, so I honestly dont get why you think that attacking him now is going to raise an eyebrow.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,081
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

24 Dec 2012 20:29

The Hitch wrote:Excuse me where did I personally insult you?

The reason i never responded with an argument is because I dont care that Cancellara pulled out of the tt in 2009. Yeah he did, well done. Hes said and done some other crap too in his career.

Not all of us think the cyclists we like are infallible.

And the reason no one is responding when you try to sell Cancellara as a weak rider scared of hard races is because no one other than you believes that.

So when you kept bringing that up and wondering why we werent "responding with cycling arguments" its because we all just think - "whatever".

The only reason the thing even went on as long as it did is because you started to say that I was getting "angry" and then when I ignored this you went a level further and starting telling me that I was getting "mad" and that I need to "get over it" ?

And i thought id make it clear to you that no Cancellara fan in the world is going to become "mad" and "angry" becuase some uber patriotic belgian kid who has had arguments with half the forum says he thinks Cancellara is weak.

You made clear 3 years ago you werent a Cancellara fan, so I honestly dont get why you think that attacking him now is going to raise an eyebrow.


Why do you always act so condescending in every single one of your posts? That's insulting. And again you give no real argument to my post, just insults and your own weird thoughts. "You mad" is just an internet meme. For the love of God lol.

Where did I say any of the things you claim I'm saying?

All I said was he wasn't coming to the Giro because of the hard classic like stages in the first week considering he spent years complaining/whining about such stages and how they're not respectful towards riders. And you think those stages are what lured him to the Giro? Yeah right. My post wasn't just about the Giro 2009, but I guess you didn't read it at all. I posted proof, what did you post except petty insults? Why would anyone come to the Giro for the hard classic like stages if he always complained that those stages "treat the riders like tools"? ;) I never once said that Cancellara was weak, but I guess you like to make that up. Why does this upset you so much? There's plenty of proof out there that Cancellara doesn't like those stages(unless he can win of course).

If there's a real reason why Cancellara is going to the Giro it's because he doesn't want to do the Tour. Simple as. I'm also not attacking anyone. Just debunking your statement that "the classic like stages in the first week of the Giro are paying off". Cancellara already decided before the Giro route was announced that he wasn't going to ride the Tour de France. So that left only the Giro and the Vuelta. He's of Italian descent, so that's another reason why he wants to ride the Giro.

"Go pick on someone your own size(smaller)"

If that is not an insult than I don't know what is. You really can't have a normal discussion with you before you start attacking the poster. You're a master in using fallacies.

My post is completely on-topic and related to the Giro. Insult free, can't say the same about your posts however. You post in an aggressive manner that suggests you are indeed getting angry. ;) It's just a harmless Giro d'Italia discussion about Cancellara's reason to ride the Giro lol. Stop dragging other things into this.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 21:42

El Pistolero wrote:If there's a real reason why Cancellara is going to the Giro it's because he doesn't want to do the Tour. Simple as. I'm also not attacking anyone. Just debunking your statement that "the classic like stages in the first week of the Giro are paying off". Cancellara already decided before the Giro route was announced that he wasn't going to ride the Tour de France. So that left only the Giro and the Vuelta. He's of Italian descent, so that's another reason why he wants to ride the Giro.

100% he does not wanna race the Tour, but he could always, you know... not race the Giro either. If he does race the Giro then he should have some reason more than just his Italian origins, since that 'reason' was always in place and it didn't matter at all apparently.
He wants the pink jersey as it's the only jersey he never won, and the next Giro gives him a big chance to do so. No doubt if the Giro had the same first week as 2012 he'd never think of racing a GT just after his highlight month of the season.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

24 Dec 2012 21:45

Eshnar wrote:100% he does not wanna race the Tour, but he could always, you know... not race the Giro either. If he does race the Giro then he should have some reason more than just his Italian origins, since that 'reason' was always in place and it didn't matter at all apparently.
He wants the pink jersey as it's the only jersey he never won, and the next Giro gives him a big chance to do so. No doubt if the Giro had the same first week as 2012 he'd never think of racing a GT just after his highlight month of the season.


Meh, no prologue. I don't think his team is capable of winning the TTT either.

2011 also had a couple of great early stages and he wasn't there either. The main difference now is that he's skipping the Tour next year. In all other years he did the Tour.

Cancellara is talented enough to ride excellent in both the classics and the Giro. If Pippo Pozzato can, so can Cancellara. Or Nibali who did a top ten in both the Giro and LBL in 2011.

Has Cancellara ever finished the Vuelta? I don't think he cares all that much about that race.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 21:55

El Pistolero wrote:Meh, no prologue. I don't think his team is capable of winning the TTT either.

2011 also had a couple of great early stages and he wasn't there either. The main difference now is that he's skipping the Tour next year. In all other years he did the Tour.

Cancellara is talented enough to ride excellent in both the classics and the Giro. If Pippo Pozzato can, so can Cancellara.

- He could win the first stage.
- He could win the third attacking on the descent.
- He could win the fifth.
- He could win the seventh.
- At this point he could be very easily ahead of Wiggo before the ITT so he could just limit his losses and wear pink already.
- The ninth stage will be the test on the WC circuit and he could definitely be with the best. He probably would end the Giro there.
if not,
- He could win stage 13 and 17 too.

on the contrary, the Giro 2011 had only 3-4 stages suited to him, considering that by stage 7 he would already be in serious trouble going to Montevergine.

So yes, this is his better chance ever. A short prologue may be slightly better, but it would be a one-only try instead af an entire week where he can take the pink any day.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

24 Dec 2012 21:57

Eshnar wrote:- He could win the first stage.
- He could win the third attacking on the descent.
- He could win the fifth.
- He could win the seventh.
- At this point he could be very easily ahead of Wiggo before the ITT so he could just limit his losses and wear pink already.
- The ninth stage will be the test on the WC circuit and he could definitely be with the best. He probably would end the Giro there.
if not,
- He could win stage 13 and 17 too.

on the contrary, the Giro 2011 had only 3-4 stages suited to him, considering that by stage 7 he would already be in serious trouble going to Montevergine.

So yes, this is his better chance ever. A short prologue may be slightly better, but it would be a one-only try instead af an entire week where he can take the pink any day.


But considering Cancellara has only ever won one stage in a GT that isn't a time trial I wouldn't give him as many chances as you seem to give him lol... :p

The hilly classic-type stages will only be paying off if more hilly riders are coming to the Giro... Cancellara is basically unbeatable in a prologue. It's where he gets all his leader jerseys. I think this year's Giro was his best chance ever, but he obviously could not start there.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 22:01

El Pistolero wrote:But considering Cancellara has only ever won one stage in a GT that isn't a time trial I wouldn't give him as many chances as you seem to give him lol... :p

you should probably tell him, so he won't waste his time chasing a jersey he can't win.

I'm not saying he'll win 7 stages. I say he can win 7 stages. Quite different, actually. Especially since his objective is not "winning stages" but taking the jersey.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

24 Dec 2012 22:05

Eshnar wrote:you should probably tell him, so he won't waste his time chasing a jersey he can't win.

I'm not saying he'll win 7 stages. I say he can win 7 stages. Quite different, actually. Especially since his objective is not "winning stages" but taking the jersey.


You misunderstand me. He can win the jersey, and it will be a motivation for him, but a prologue would always have been better for Cancellara. He's basically unbeatable there.

I'm still convinced the main reason he's riding the Giro is because he's fed up with riding the Tour de France as a domestique for the Schlecks.

If it was really an important goal for him he'd have started in a Giro that kicked things off with a prologue. I'm not sure, but I don't think he ever lost a prologue in a GT... Hence why he doesn't like the long time trials. :p
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 22:11

El Pistolero wrote:But I'm still convinced the main reason he's riding the Giro is because he's fed up with riding the Tour de France as a domestique for the Schlecks.

That's the main reason he won't race the Tour.
Starting from "I don't wanna race the Tdf for a reason X" you need another step to decide "I'll race the Giro" because a guy like Cancellara is certainly not forced to ride one of the two.
I don't think he would race a GT he's not really interested in (because let's face it, he doesn't give a **** about the Giro, he just wants the last piece of his collection), placed in an awful period of the year for a classic rider, in which there's only one stage he would win.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

24 Dec 2012 22:18

Eshnar wrote:That's the main reason he won't race the Tour.
Starting from "I don't wanna race the Tdf for a reason X" you need another step to decide "I'll race the Giro" because a guy like Cancellara is certainly not forced to ride one of the two.
I don't think he would race a GT he's not really interested in (because let's face it, he doesn't give a **** about the Giro, he just wants the last piece of his collection), placed in an awful period of the year for a classic rider, in which there's only one stage he would win.


Let's just say I'm not too convinced of that yet!

I have seen some amazing things over the last few years from classic riders in May-June.

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1034272

^ An example if you want(my favorite :p)

If he didn't give a **** about the Giro I doubt he'd give a **** for the leader jersey by the way. It's just that he always had obligations in the Tour until now. Even if you're a big rider you can still be forced to ride a certain race. Especially if that certain race happens to be the Tour.

You can't peak for the classics, Giro and the Tour, but I think the classics and Giro are a do-able combo. It's just that many cobbled classic riders really don't care at all about the Giro unlike Cancellara.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 22:53

El Pistolero wrote:It's just that many cobbled classic riders really don't care at all about the Giro unlike Cancellara.

So that's why he raced the Giro 2009 so hard, right? :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

24 Dec 2012 23:05

Eshnar wrote:So that's why he raced the Giro 2009 so hard, right? :o


He was pretty bad at the classics as well that year. ;)

He already agreed to ride the Giro that year in 2008 though. Probably because it was the 100th year anniversary of the Giro.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Dec 2012 23:24

We'll know Wiggins support quite quickly in the season.

The whole Giro team will do together Oman, Tirreno & Trentino as prep ( if not few races more ). Dombrowski is the first rider officially confirmed to do Giro after Wiggins through recent interview.
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,777
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Dec 2012 23:31

Gloin22 wrote:We'll know Wiggins support quite quickly in the season.

The whole Giro team will do together Oman, Tirreno & Trentino as prep ( if not few races more ). Dombrowski is the first rider officially confirmed to do Giro after Wiggins through recent interview.

Wiggo included?
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,078
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asero831, Google [Bot], stabbin31 and 17 guests

Back to top