Register

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

Wiggins
30%
Nibali
30%
Rodriguez
6%
Hesjedal
6%
Gesink
12%
Sanchez
3%
Basso
4%
Scarponi
1%
A colombian
2%
Other/Vino
5%

Total votes : 171

18 Dec 2012 00:51

theyoungest wrote:Wiggo. If he stays off the booze.

The people who think that Nibali will be any competition to him need to rewatch the Tour.

Nibali was ill during the last week of the Tour, not at his best. Giro is also a different race to the Tour and will suit Nibali better.

My tip is Rodriguez.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

18 Dec 2012 03:30

auscyclefan94 wrote:Nibali was ill during the last week of the Tour, not at his best. Giro is also a different race to the Tour and will suit Nibali better.

My tip is Rodriguez.

I've got a feeling that Purito is nearly ready to win a GT and the Giro might be it.

But I can't see your logic on Nibali.

Like Wiggo himself, Nibali is one of those riders who just has to hang in there when the true mountain goats pile on the pressure, but unlike Wiggo, Nibali is rubbish at pacing himself and riding to a schedule.

Nibali will have team support, but certainly no more team support than Wiggo ... probably less in quality and quantity.
Tei6chai

18 Dec 2012 04:45

Tei6chai wrote:Nibali will have team support, but certainly no more team support than Wiggo ... probably less in quality and quantity.

Quantity? Is Astana not allowed to have 9 riders on their team?
User avatar Afrank

18 Dec 2012 06:59

Dazed and Confused wrote:Scarponi will be back in business. Podium contender for sure.

Agreed. He wasn't very exciting to watch and not at his best, but was still very much up there. He also didn't suck in the later mountain stages... unlike Basso.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

18 Dec 2012 10:12

Wiggins with provocative ease. I fear he will scatter opponents as Indurain on La Plagne. Soft pedaling, 53 gear, winsome smile and... the rivals will be overthrown on the way to Trecime Di Lavaredo.
User avatar airstream

18 Dec 2012 10:19

I voted Nibali but I actually think Rodriguez will.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

18 Dec 2012 10:33

Nibali to win. Samu and Pozzovivo to round up the podium.

Gesnik to crash again, and Wiggins to retire after losing ten minutes on a mountain stage and complain bitterly that Sky's Marginal Gains have been leaked to the other teams.
User avatar the asian

18 Dec 2012 11:42

Wiggins will win followed by Ryder and Rodriguez.
movingtarget

18 Dec 2012 11:49

Afrank wrote:Different team, different parcours, different climbs, different competition, different level of motivation. Just because Wiggo beat Nibali on a course custom made for him doesn't necessarily mean he can do it again in a completely different race.

Wiggo as a climber is on par with Nibali, at the very least. And there's a 50 k flattish TT in the race. If he approaches the form of the Tour next year, I don't see how Nibali can beat him.
theyoungest

18 Dec 2012 12:06

Afrank wrote: Just because Wiggo beat Nibali on a course custom made for him doesn't necessarily mean he can do it again in a completely different race.

He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?
User avatar airstream

18 Dec 2012 12:14

airstream wrote:He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?

Very much true. His best performance was the 2010 Giro, still without the pressure of leadership. In the 2011 Giro he attacked on a descent, but immediately dropped on the next climb. He did the same in TdF, on the stage to Peyragudes, but he finished the stage together with Van Garderen. Terrific rider indeed. :rolleyes: His podium spot symbolized the poor field of the Tour.
User avatar Pentacycle

18 Dec 2012 12:22

Pentacycle wrote:Very much true. His best performance was the 2010 Giro, still without the pressure of leadership. In the 2011 Giro he attacked on a descent, but immediately dropped on the next climb. He did the same in TdF, on the stage to Peyragudes, but he finished the stage together with Van Garderen. Terrific rider indeed. :rolleyes: His podium spot symbolized the poor field of the Tour.

wait, Nibali attacked on the descent in that stage? I must have missed that :confused:
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

18 Dec 2012 12:31

Pentacycle wrote:Very much true. His best performance was the 2010 Giro, still without the pressure of leadership. In the 2011 Giro he attacked on a descent, but immediately dropped on the next climb. He did the same in TdF, on the stage to Peyragudes, but he finished the stage together with Van Garderen. Terrific rider indeed. :rolleyes: His podium spot symbolized the poor field of the Tour.

Well, he deserved this actually. To me, Nibali is the first (neither Rodriguez nor Valverde) man in a sesquialteral echelon of GT riders after Schleck, Froome, Wiggins and Contador. But he needs to make a big step to beat Wiggins at such a type of parcours. 50 k TT. What is a plausible margin? 2'30 - 3 min. In this year's Tour Wiggins rode both TT's miraculously sure, but Nibali did them better than I personally expected too.
User avatar airstream

18 Dec 2012 12:31

Eshnar wrote:wait, Nibali attacked on the descent in that stage? I must have missed that :confused:

yes he followed the breakaway early on the mente descent but alejandro told him to stop.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

18 Dec 2012 12:41

You're trying to confuse some readers here. The only serious attack was on stage 10 on the descent of Grand Colombier. In the stage (17) that Valverde won, he was already injured. It was just a bluff attack in an effort to mask his injury, but Valverde convinced him to drop back to the peloton so that the breakaway would have a chance.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

18 Dec 2012 12:56

cineteq wrote:Thanks. I guess Henao/Uran combo is option 9 :o

Poor guys, for some posters and Sky, they're always the mules, the donkeys, the columbians...but never mentioned by their names. No much respect for them.

PS: Not talking about you or the OP.

henao and uran are probably also not going.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Dec 2012 13:07

airstream wrote:He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?

We're talking about a climb that suited Wiggins perfectly... and yet he still got dropped by his teammate.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

18 Dec 2012 13:09

jens_attacks wrote:yes he followed the breakaway early on the mente descent but alejandro told him to stop.

oh, right. Wasn't exactly the same as he did in the Giro though.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

18 Dec 2012 13:26

Eshnar wrote:wait, Nibali attacked on the descent in that stage? I must have missed that :confused:

We forgive you. Most of us nodded off multiple times during most stages.
Dazed and Confused

18 Dec 2012 13:39

Dazed and Confused wrote:We forgive you. Most of us nodded off multiple times during most stages.

That wasn't a proper attack so I just deleted it from my memory :D

User avatar Eshnar

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing