Log in:  

Register

Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 GIRO?

Wiggins
52
30%
Nibali
51
30%
Rodriguez
11
6%
Hesjedal
10
6%
Gesink
21
12%
Sanchez
5
3%
Basso
6
4%
Scarponi
2
1%
A colombian
4
2%
Other/Vino
9
5%
 
Total votes : 171

07 Jan 2013 19:13

Dazed and Confused wrote:yes, but he will only gain 10s rather than 30s. See the diff?

He will also only have lost 3 minutes in the time trial, rather than 6.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

07 Jan 2013 19:18

theyoungest wrote:He will also only have lost 3 minutes in the time trial, rather than 6.


lol, we disagree about the numbers.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,355
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

07 Jan 2013 19:26

Dazed and Confused wrote:lol, we disagree about the numbers.

There's a 30 k flat time trial, and a 30 k hilly one. Purito lost only 1 minute to Contador in a 40 k (!) hilly TT in the Vuelta. According to the descriptions, the one in the Tour is at least as hard.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

07 Jan 2013 19:27

theyoungest wrote:He will also only have lost 3 minutes in the time trial, rather than 6.

and how many of those 3 minutes will he gain on the other contenders?
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,086
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

07 Jan 2013 19:40

theyoungest wrote:There's a 30 k flat time trial, and a 30 k hilly one. Purito lost only 1 minute to Contador in a 40 k (!) hilly TT in the Vuelta. According to the descriptions, the one in the Tour is at least as hard.

I don't think I'm too far off the mark.


well, just by those numbers it sounds more like 4 mins to Wiggins in the tour overall. And I don't agree J-Rod will lose 6 mins in the Giro TT's. Anyway I don't think we can get closer. Final word is yours.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,355
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

07 Jan 2013 20:10

I think Purito would lose just as much in the Giro ITT as in the two Tour ITTs.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

07 Jan 2013 20:47

As much as I like Rodriguez one short steep walls, I dislike seeing him win GT's or gt mountain stages. Because they always go the same way. Wheelsuck every other contender and attack the final km. Bleh.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

07 Jan 2013 22:28

staubsauger wrote:As I mentioned earlier: Franco Pellizotti

(I rate him higher than Basso, Scarponi or Hesjedal)

4 years since the last GT he rode... Long time.
But if he manages to reach level of before the pause, he could be dangerous.
I wouldn't rate him above Hesjedal and Basso.
Speaking of Hesjedal, I'm rating him high because he's defending champion, but I'm not convinced he can repeat last year's performance. Can't say it was a fluke, GT is hardly won by a fluke, but it was an extraordinary result. He needs couple of GT podiums more to be considered as a GT force in my eyes.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

07 Jan 2013 22:49

Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder. :confused:
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

07 Jan 2013 22:49

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder. :confused:


Agree. The guy's got a big engine and will be tough to beat.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

07 Jan 2013 23:01

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder. :confused:

Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

07 Jan 2013 23:09

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.
People use common sense so that's why we don't rate him high this year. Fellow Canadian doesn't hava a lot of leverage, plus he won't have a strong team IMO.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,598
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

07 Jan 2013 23:17

Voted Nibali, but would be happy with Hesjedal taking another pink.
peloton
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,373
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 11:20

07 Jan 2013 23:34

serfla wrote:Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.

De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

07 Jan 2013 23:54

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud


He was at least better than Cunego otherwise Damiano would've won that stage and maybe even the whole Giro ;)

And I'm still a bit ****ed of none of Cunego's attacks payed out. He was at least the only one of the big names to take some risk.

And Nibali beat Mosquera who was around there at the Top of the Vuelta some years already and Velits just rode a fantastic grand tour that year (although he seems to remain as a one hit wonder). He also beat Rodriguez and I highly doubt Anton would've had that Vuelta in his pocket without his crash, now.
User avatar staubsauger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

08 Jan 2013 00:58

He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,787
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

08 Jan 2013 01:22

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.


I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .
User avatar staubsauger
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,164
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

08 Jan 2013 01:50

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.


Even that giro had weaknesses. Notably the way he was dropped a long way from the end on Marmolada and then again really struggled at the top of Finnestre.

Maybe its a distance thing because as i recall Finnestre came 200k on stgae 20, and the Gardeccia stage was 230k so around the 200k mark he cracked there too. Meanwhile on Zoncolan 150k he was hanging tough with Contador.

Giro 2010 is probably the best Nibali has been. The fact that he dropped Evans near the top of Grappa, and that he Basso and Scarponi flew away from him on Mortirolo are the 2 things that keep me thinking that Nibali is one of the great gt riders. and even then he was worse than Scarponi.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,103
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

08 Jan 2013 01:53

staubsauger wrote:I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .


Yeah but as i posted in the original thread this happens every 20 years.

1952 Coppi
1953 Coppi

1972 Merckx
1973 Merckx

1992 Indurain
1993 Indurain

2012 Hejsedal.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,103
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

08 Jan 2013 01:57



Thats the first time ive ever heard Samu talk sense.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,103
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: burning, Google [Bot], irondan and 18 guests

Back to top