Register

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Poll ended at 07 Feb 2013 15:20

A.Valverde
11%
P.Gilbert
56%
J.Rodriguez
15%
P.Sagan
18%

Total votes : 99

19 Dec 2012 15:19

Only counting those 4 guys, who do you think is the best?

Btw let's assume it's a 2km hill around 6-8 %
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 15:20

Another poll :eek: :eek:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

19 Dec 2012 15:21

I voted Sagan :) he is the real deal
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

19 Dec 2012 15:21

LaFlorecita wrote:Another poll :eek: :eek:

Yeah, right now i'm in cycling mood. I'll stop with it though but this one I thought was interesting.
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 15:26

Gilbert.

Winner of WC in Valkenburg, winner of AGR(2010, 2011), winner of FW, winner of 6 great GT stages all uphill, etc
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 15:29

Gilbert for now, but lets see what Sagan can do in the next few years for a return of this discussion.
Dazed and Confused

19 Dec 2012 15:33

I'm sure it is Valverde. If it were 300-500 meters, it would be Gilbert.
User avatar airstream

19 Dec 2012 15:42

Depends a lot on the stage/race that precedes the sprint. If it's easy, Sagan. Medium, can be Sagan, Gilbert or Purito. If it's hard, Purito.

I am sure some posters will counter with a result in an obscure race, but this is just a generality.
User avatar Arnout

19 Dec 2012 15:44

Arnout wrote:Depends a lot on the stage/race that precedes the sprint. If it's easy, Sagan. Medium, can be Sagan, Gilbert or Purito. If it's hard, Purito.

I am sure some posters will counter with a result in an obscure race, but this is just a generality.

A 1 km hill at 6%, Gilbert has been unbeatable on those for a while. I don't know if he still is, but I guess so.

Anything longer, I don't know. Valverde maybe.
theyoungest

19 Dec 2012 15:51

Gilbert is the better hill.rider but if he wins its because he dropped valverde and sagan earlier, sprinting got **** to do.with it.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Dec 2012 15:54

The Hitch wrote:Gilbert is the better hill.rider but if he wins its because he dropped valverde and sagan earlier, sprinting got **** to do.with it.

Why didn't he follow him at Valkenburg then? Or La Lastrilla in the Vuelta? Or Saint Nicholas at LBL?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 15:59

El Pistolero wrote:Why didn't he follow him at Valkenburg then? Or La Lastrilla in the Vuelta? Or Saint Nicholas at LBL?

:confused:how do any of.those examples.contradict anything i said?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

User avatar The Hitch

19 Dec 2012 16:00

The Hitch wrote::confused:how do any of.those examples.contradict anything i said?

Sprinting for 2k at 6% isn't really sprinting, so the thread is sort of pointless anyway. A real uphill sprint is max 500 meters or so, and then Sagan is without a doubt the fastest. Maybe even Greipel.
theyoungest

19 Dec 2012 16:02

theyoungest wrote:Sprinting for 2k at 6% isn't really sprinting, so the thread is sort of pointless anyway. A real uphill sprint is max 500 meters or so, and then Sagan is without a doubt the fastest. Maybe even Greipel.

They mean a short explosive effort on a hill. I think all my examples are a statement of that.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 16:05

Gilbert can hold his acceleration longer than the other names. He is unbeatable on the Cauberg after all, though I am not sure if that really counts as a sprint.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws

19 Dec 2012 16:09

theyoungest wrote:Sprinting for 2k at 6% isn't really sprinting, so the thread is sort of pointless anyway. A real uphill sprint is max 500 meters or so, and then Sagan is without a doubt the fastest. Maybe even Greipel.

I made it 2km cause when it's 500 m Sagan wins easy IMO. But will he still have that after having a hill of 1.5 km. Not sprinting for 2 km obviously.

Who can 'sprint' for 2 km? impossible ;)
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 16:24

Miburo wrote:I made it 2km cause when it's 500 m Sagan wins easy IMO. But will he still have that after having a hill of 1.5 km. Not sprinting for 2 km obviously.

Who can 'sprint' for 2 km? impossible ;)

No one, but not many people can do this for almost a km:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2xwSleWeOqs#t=514s

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 16:32

El Pistolero wrote:They mean a short explosive effort on a hill. I think all my examples are a statement of that.

I said valverde and sagan could beat Gilbert in a sprint but that Gilbert can drop them earlier and you come back with 3 examples of.Gilbert dropping valverde earlier 2 of which the race did not end on the hill 1 of which valverde actually came back and beat them.

And you ask.me.how i explain them:confused:

User avatar The Hitch

19 Dec 2012 16:36

The Hitch wrote:I said valverde and sagan could beat Gilbert in a sprint but that Gilbert can drop them earlier and you come back with 3 examples of.Gilbert dropping valverde earlier 2 of which the race did not end on the hill 1 of which valverde actually came back and beat them.

And you ask.me.how i explain them:confused:

Do you really think the outcome of the WC would've been any different had it finished on the Cauberg? :confused: Gilbert's time on the Cauberg at the WC was faster than Gaspa's time on the Cauberg during the AGR lol(and thus also faster than Sagan's time).

And La Lastrilla was an uphill finish where Gilbert won. Where did he drop Valverde earlier lol?

Same goes for Saint Nicholas. Had the finish been on it, Valverde would've lost.

Ps: Valverde didn't come back and beat Gilbert in LBL. Evans came back with someone in his wheel all the time. ;)

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 17:12

El Pistolero wrote:Do you really think the outcome of the WC would've been any different had it finished on the Cauberg? :confused: Gilbert's time on the Cauberg at the WC was faster than Gaspa's time on the Cauberg during the AGR lol(and thus also faster than Sagan's time).

And La Lastrilla was an uphill finish where Gilbert won. Where did he drop Valverde earlier lol?

Same goes for Saint Nicholas. Had the finish been on it, Valverde would've lost.

Ps: Valverde didn't come back and beat Gilbert in LBL. Evans came back with someone in his wheel all the time. ;)

He dropped valverde earlier on the hill, it wasn't a sprint. If contador had won on gallina world you have called it a sprint because it was less than 2km? Even.though his advantage came from an earlier attack and not actually a sprint.

User avatar The Hitch

Next

Return to Professional road racing