Log in:  

Register

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

Poll ended at 07 Feb 2013 15:20

A.Valverde
11
11%
P.Gilbert
55
56%
J.Rodriguez
15
15%
P.Sagan
18
18%
 
Total votes : 99

19 Dec 2012 23:22

Gilbert unless he was ill...with Sagan hot on his wheels.

Agree Cadel is scrappy and tough on this too...
craig walsh always with us
User avatar mewmewmew13
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,246
Joined: 09 Aug 2010 22:20
Location: co

20 Dec 2012 09:25

El Pistolero wrote:Rodriguez was a domestique for Valverde. Look how good he is now...

Uhm, Valverde has lost many races because he was afraid to go for it... If Evans, Valverde and Gilbert all had worked together they could've caught Vino and Kolobnev.

The WC is the perfect race for Valverde. Hilly, but not too hard, so often ends in a sprint. It's amazing how he hasn't won it yet.


Rodriguez IS a great rider,but when he was in Caisse he wasnt as good as Valverde cos of this he was a superdom.
Really how do you know it?How did you calculate it?Kolobnev and Vino were in super fitness so its not clear.I remember that Evans and Phil rode hard and wasnt enough.
Wc is perfect race?you cant say this in general...but always there was someone better Boonen,Freire,Evans etc. Now the chances from sprint are gone because Sagan is here:(
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,041
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

20 Dec 2012 12:06

El Pistolero wrote:He was still 24 when he became world champ. ;)

Sagan will be 23 very soon. And yeah like I said, let's wait a little before we call him the best for the next 10 years because we all know what happened to VDB. Sadly. So you kinda agree if you forget my analogy. ;)


yeah a massive one month away from his 25th birthday :rolleyes: and sagan is now almost 23, yes but earlier in the year he wasn't my god you really do your best a ant f*cking (mierenneuken) right?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,271
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

20 Dec 2012 12:06

Parrulo wrote:wasn't kreuziger supposed to be the next god back in 08 when he won the TdS only a month after turning 22?

to he honest with this eastern europeans guys i like to take it carefully :o


only to those who were blind. it was very clear he was at early physical peak. sagan it doesn't matter. he's so good even if he didn't grow anymore he'd be the best in the world.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,271
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

20 Dec 2012 13:37

All depends on length.

If it is only a short ramp of 6-8% then it's always Gilbert. But if it's a whole 1-2km then Rodriguez is more able to challenge. Who knows about Sagan given his epic Chieti ride which showed strong resistance (plus his win in Seraing) then you have actual uphill sprint of Bolougne-sur-Mer. Most notably though the other two were not present in top on those days.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,769
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

20 Dec 2012 13:44

Ferminal wrote:All depends on length.

If it is only a short ramp of 6-8% then it's always Gilbert. But if it's a whole 1-2km then Rodriguez is more able to challenge. Who knows about Sagan given his epic Chieti ride which showed strong resistance (plus his win in Seraing) then you have actual uphill sprint of Bolougne-sur-Mer. Most notably though the other two were not present in top on those days.


How short do you think the Cauberg is?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

20 Dec 2012 13:51

Hushovd, then Evans.
User avatar Descender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,898
Joined: 29 Aug 2010 11:16

20 Dec 2012 15:11

El Pistolero wrote:How short do you think the Cauberg is?


lol, Cauberg is like 300m at 8%+.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,769
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

20 Dec 2012 15:15

Ferminal wrote:lol, Cauberg is like 300m at 8%+.


It's 1.2km at 6% average.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

20 Dec 2012 15:30

Yeh, so a whole 70m vertical. Think Purito would need 100+
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,769
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

20 Dec 2012 15:54

Ferminal wrote:Yeh, so a whole 70m vertical. Think Purito would need 100+


Still lost to Phil at Mur de Huy, 1.3km with an average of 10%.

Even in his bad shape this spring he was third at FW.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

20 Dec 2012 17:59

El Pistolero wrote:Still lost to Phil at Mur de Huy, 1.3km with an average of 10%.

Even in his bad shape this spring he was third at FW.


What about FW '10 ? also bad shape? ;)
User avatar Miburo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,891
Joined: 29 Jul 2012 19:33

20 Dec 2012 18:08

Miburo wrote:What about FW '10 ? also bad shape? ;)


Gilbert improves season after season, he's the master of super compensation(recovery after training/races/season as a whole) so he was a better rider in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2012 his FTP in tests was higher than ever, but because he had to start too late with his preparation(due to tiredness from 2011), he had bad form and endurance. In FW endurance is less important than in LBL or AGR, that's why he still rode so well. The distance of the other 2 hurt him much more than FW's 200kms.

If Gilbert is in top shape next year in the Ardennes, he will beat his Cauberg an Mur de Huy climbing times once again, like he did on the Worlds. Only if his off season recovery starts getting worse, he'll be past his best. But until then he's unstoppable on hills when on form.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,147
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

20 Dec 2012 19:35

Pentacycle wrote:Gilbert improves season after season, he's the master of super compensation(recovery after training/races/season as a whole) so he was a better rider in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2012 his FTP in tests was higher than ever, but because he had to start too late with his preparation(due to tiredness from 2011), he had bad form and endurance. In FW endurance is less important than in LBL or AGR, that's why he still rode so well. The distance of the other 2 hurt him much more than FW's 200kms.

If Gilbert is in top shape next year in the Ardennes, he will beat his Cauberg an Mur de Huy climbing times once again, like he did on the Worlds. Only if his off season recovery starts getting worse, he'll be past his best. But until then he's unstoppable on hills when on form.



Where did you find his WC 2012 Cauberg time?
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 21:00

20 Dec 2012 19:42

Panda Claws wrote:Where did you find his WC 2012 Cauberg time?

Jens Attacks!

http://climbing-records.blogspot.ro/
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,735
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

20 Dec 2012 19:58

If it's 1KM it's definitely Gilbert. For 2 Km it would be tighter but I feel It will still be Phil over Valverde.
Have to see more of Sagan to judge whether he can hold it for 2 km.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,404
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

Previous

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 70kmph, Asero831, damian13ster, Dedelou, Google Adsense [Bot], KGB, nepetalactone, One Eyed Aussie, Pricey_sky and 26 guests

Back to top