Register

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

Poll ended at 07 Feb 2013 15:20

A.Valverde
11%
P.Gilbert
56%
J.Rodriguez
15%
P.Sagan
18%

Total votes : 99

19 Dec 2012 21:06

ILovecycling wrote:oh my:o...guys,Gilbert is not better uphill sprinter than Sagan,Purito or Valverde.He is excelent in dropping them in high percentages(above 6%) but in sprint he wont win against them.:rolleyes:

my ladder:
Valverde
Sagan
Purito
Gilbert

Yeah, that's why Purito was second in Barcelona this year.

Phil sure wins a lot uphill for being the worst on your ladder. :o
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 21:12

BTW i think 1 name that should be in here if we are doing 2k at 8% is Contador. He wont outsprint anyone, but if we are doing just first to the top i think it would be just about long and hard enough for him to dance away on.

and if it were a tt, no one else would stand a chance;)

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, that's why Purito was second in Barcelona this year.

He worked with phil to keep an advantage and let Gilbert take the stage.

But yes i agree with you that had it gone to a sprint then Gilbert is a better sprinter than Purito, not than Sagan or Valverde though.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Dec 2012 21:12

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah, that's why Purito was second in Barcelona this year.

Phil won cos it was deal,and you know it.Purito cared about general,Phil for stage,its clear.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

19 Dec 2012 21:14

ILovecycling wrote:Phil won cos it was deal,and you know it.Purito cared about general,Phil for stage,its clear.

Yeah the guy that outsprinted Boonen at Paris-Tours made a deal because otherwise he wouldn't be able to outsprint a Spaniard of 38kg.

:rolleyes:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 21:18

The Hitch wrote:BTW i think 1 name that should be in here if we are doing 2k at 8% is Contador. He wont outsprint anyone, but if we are doing just first to the top i think it would be just about long and hard enough for him to dance away on.

and if it were a tt, no one else would stand a chance;)

He worked with phil to keep an advantage and let Gilbert take the stage.

But yes i agree with you that had it gone to a sprint then Gilbert is a better sprinter than Purito, not than Sagan or Valverde though.

They both worked together, strongest man of the day on that kind of stage won.

Tiralongo would've won if Phil and Purito didn't drop everyone on Montjuic. If Valverde had the legs he would've followed Tiralongo.

A time trial on a 2km hill around 6-8%? Phil definitely. He already came 9th in this year's flat Tour prologue and he wasn't in his best shape.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 21:23

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah the guy that outsprinted Boonen at Paris-Tours made a deal because otherwise he wouldn't be able to outsprint a Spaniard of 38kg.

using that logic:

pff, as if the guy who has the Cauberg record and won all 3 ardennes classics last year isnt going to beat Gasparoto on the Cauberg

Oh wait:o
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

19 Dec 2012 21:25

The Hitch wrote:using that logic:

pff, as if the guy who has the Cauberg record and won all 3 ardennes classics last year isnt going to beat Gasparoto on the Cauberg

Oh wait:o

I can't think of a single scenario where Rodriguez would ever outsprint Gilbert. Maybe if he has a flat tire.

This is the guy that outsprinted Tyler Farrar while the latter was sitting in his wheel.

Even in his bad shape Gilbert was still among the best on the Cauberg and Mur de Huy. Without Phil Freire would've won the AGR, keep that in mind.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 21:27

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah the guy that outsprinted Boonen at Paris-Tours made a deal because otherwise he wouldn't be able to outsprint a Spaniard of 38kg.

There is always danger that you lose for exapmle bad tactics.And Phil wasnt selfconscious before this stage;).

Anyway,if Phil wont drop Valverde on stNicholas he wont stand a chance in sprint against him in april;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling

19 Dec 2012 21:28

El Pistolero wrote:I can't think of a single scenario where Rodriguez would ever outsprint Gilbert. Maybe if he has a flat tire.

This is the guy that outsprinted Tyler Farrar while the latter was sitting in his wheel.

Even in his bad shape Gilbert was still among the best on the Cauberg and Mur de Huy. Without Phil Freire would've won the AGR, keep that in mind.

what?what a theory:eek:
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
User avatar ILovecycling

19 Dec 2012 21:28

ILovecycling wrote:There is always danger that you lose for exapmle bad tactics.And Phil wasnt selfconscious before this stage;).

Anyway,if Phil wont drop Valverde on stNicholas he wont stand a chance in sprint against him in april;)

That's hardly the kind of sprint we're talking about in this topic. ;)

And I wouldn't be too sure of that. But knowing Valverde he'll probably be happy with a second or third place. As long as he doesn't have to stick his nose in the wind too much he'll be happy. It's amazing how much of a fanbase this guy has around here. And they're the same kind of fan that hate Leipheimer. :o

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 21:29

Even though I would not vote for him in this poll, on a gradient of 6-8%, Evans certainly should be considered on a poll like this.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

19 Dec 2012 21:41

El Pistolero wrote:That's hardly the kind of sprint we're talking about in this topic. ;)

And I wouldn't be too sure of that. But knowing Valverde he'll probably be happy with a second or third place. As long as he doesn't have to stick his nose in the wind too much he'll be happy. It's amazing how much of a fanbase this guy has around here. And they're the same kind of fan that hate Leipheimer. :o

dont worry he wont take a single pull,he relys on sprint.
Yeah sure,he will be happy with podium when he already won it 2times:o.
And I hate Leipheimer cos he didnt want to be a domestique for Alberto in 07 n 08,stupid guy.

btw.for you Valverde is wheelsucker,for me it is best classic rider in tactics:D = its the same
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
User avatar ILovecycling

19 Dec 2012 21:46

ILovecycling wrote:dont worry he wont take a single pull,he relys on sprint.
Yeah sure,he will be happy with podium when he already won it 2times:o.
And I hate Leipheimer cos he didnt want to be a domestique for Alberto in 07 n 08,stupid guy.

btw.for you Valverde is wheelsucker,for me it is best classic rider in tactics:D = its the same

Take a look at his 4 podiums of the WC.

Best classic rider in tactics? Yeah, no. He sucks wheel, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Valverde has probably only been a domestique once or twice in his life. For Freire, who criticized Valverde after the WC this year lol.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 22:01

El Pistolero wrote:A time trial on a 2km hill around 6-8%? Phil definitely. He already came 9th in this year's flat Tour prologue and he wasn't in his best shape.

Contador will crush Gilbert in any TT possible. A Hill will only make it more obvious.
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 22:03

auscyclefan94 wrote:Even though I would not vote for him in this poll, on a gradient of 6-8%, Evans certainly should be considered on a poll like this.

You're still going to bring it up :D

It's between those 4. I stated that explicitly. But anyways Evans has no chance against those guys in top shape. So what's the point of putting him up when he'll get 0 votes?

Oh wait, maybe 1 ;)
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 22:08

Miburo wrote:Contador will crush Gilbert in any TT possible. A Hill will only make it more obvious.

A time trial on the Cauberg, Contador will always lose.

You wouldn't even need a time trial bike for such short hill time trials like Hitch is suggesting. Just one short explosive effort and we all know who's master in that.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 22:13

El Pistolero wrote:A time trial on the Cauberg, Contador will always lose.

You wouldn't even need a time trial bike for such short hill time trials like Hitch is suggesting. Just one short explosive effort and we all know who's master in that.

Contador in top shape? I want to see it. So just a hill, right?

10 km flat therefore, then Contador wins it no question
User avatar Miburo

19 Dec 2012 22:16

Miburo wrote:Contador in top shape? I want to see it. So just a hill, right?

10 km flat therefore, then Contador wins it no question

Most likely yeah, but we're just talking about hills. So starting at the foot and finishing at the top.

User avatar El Pistolero

19 Dec 2012 22:26

El Pistolero wrote:Take a look at his 4 podiums of the WC.

Best classic rider in tactics? Yeah, no. He sucks wheel, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Valverde has probably only been a domestique once or twice in his life. For Freire, who criticized Valverde after the WC this year lol.

Wc is not Liege,this course suits him.There is not medal or anything,only top step so I dont think he would be happy with podium
When did it fail?If we dont count 2012,it failed only in Fleche in previous years.Liege 2010 wasnt that case he didnt lose cos of wheelsucking.
Why he should be a domestique?he never didnt have a better rider in Caisse than himself,he was always a leader unlikely Leipheimer.And this season he was domestique for Costa in Suisse,without him Costa would be lost.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
User avatar ILovecycling

19 Dec 2012 22:36

ILovecycling wrote:Wc is not Liege,this course suits him.There is not medal or anything,only top step so I dont think he would be happy with podium
When did it fail?If we dont count 2012,it failed only in Fleche in previous years.Liege 2010 wasnt that case he didnt lose cos of wheelsucking.
Why he should be a domestique?he never didnt have a better rider in Caisse than himself,he was always a leader unlikely Leipheimer.And this season he was domestique for Costa in Suisse,without him Costa would be lost.

Rodriguez was a domestique for Valverde. Look how good he is now...

Uhm, Valverde has lost many races because he was afraid to go for it... If Evans, Valverde and Gilbert all had worked together they could've caught Vino and Kolobnev.

The WC is the perfect race for Valverde. Hilly, but not too hard, so often ends in a sprint. It's amazing how he hasn't won it yet.

User avatar El Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing