Register

Boni Seconds In The Tour? Bring it Back?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Boni Seconds in the tour? Bring it Back?

Poll ended at 02 Apr 2013 20:44

Yes.
42%
Yes but only on flat stages.
8%
Yes but limited (eg. 10/6/4)
22%
No.
28%

Total votes : 74

24 Dec 2012 06:24

I'm going for yes, except in the TT.
User avatar Joachim

24 Dec 2012 06:35

Joachim wrote:I'm going for yes, except in the TT.

I thought you said you "had been following Grand Tours for 30 years". There are no bonus seconds in TT's. UCI rule 2.6.021

Noob, get back to trolling in the Clinic.
User avatar wirral

24 Dec 2012 11:18

I think no. It discourages attacking on mountain stages, look what the Vuelta & Giro turned Rodriguez into, guy never attacks further than 3k out because he knows he can just take up 20sec every day.
deValtos

24 Dec 2012 15:04

Maybe in the Giro, but there were attacks EVERYDAY in the Vuelta with Contador winning it with a huge one from nowhere.

Remember, the Tour also usually has less big attacks than any other GT because people are too afraid to blow it and the big teams make it hard.
rzombie1988

24 Dec 2012 16:47

I voted for the limited option, but it can be used on mountains as well, which will confuse Sky train tactics when riders gain on them, without actually attacking them.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

25 Dec 2012 11:51

rzombie1988 wrote:Maybe in the Giro, but there were attacks EVERYDAY in the Vuelta with Contador winning it with a huge one from nowhere.

Remember, the Tour also usually has less big attacks than any other GT because people are too afraid to blow it and the big teams make it hard.

What? This year the Tour had more "big attacks" than both Giro and Vuelta. Giro and Vuelta only had one big attack each one, Stelvio and Fuente Dé, every other stage was an uphill sprint finish.
Viskovitz

25 Dec 2012 11:55

Viskovitz wrote:What? This year the Tour had more "big attacks" than both Giro and Vuelta. Giro and Vuelta only had one big attack each one, Stelvio and Fuente Dé, every other stage was an uphill sprint finish.

That's because by your definition any attack in the 2012 tour was a big attack because the mountains were all 50+km away. But how many of those big attacks even had a chance of succeeding?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

25 Dec 2012 12:07

A big fat no. It encourages riders with a sprint to wheel suck and wait for the last 500m or so. GTs should be decided on who completes the course in the shortest time not who of the contenders has the best sprint. If a rider wants to gain 20seconds they should grit their teeth and earn it, metre by metre on the road.
User avatar Richeypen

25 Dec 2012 12:36

Richeypen wrote:A big fat no. It encourages riders with a sprint to wheel suck and wait for the last 500m or so. GTs should be decided on who completes the course in the shortest time not who of the contenders has the best sprint. If a rider wants to gain 20seconds they should grit their teeth and earn it, metre by metre on the road.

Yeah but when every gt has a ttt they arent earning it metre by metre either.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

25 Dec 2012 12:46

The Hitch wrote:Yeah but when every gt has a ttt they arent earning it metre by metre either.

But the solution to that is to get rid of the TTTs, not distort it further with bonuses.
User avatar Richeypen

25 Dec 2012 19:44

The only bonifications should be for the first three riders to sign in for the day who don't use the handrails and don't slip off, no ginger steps.

Racing should be straight up racing, no to attendance trophies in the form of charity time.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

25 Dec 2012 20:26

A big YES!!! :D

Richeypen wrote:It encourages riders with a sprint to wheel suck and wait for the last 500m or so. GTs should be decided on who completes the course in the shortest time not who of the contenders has the best sprint.
Why the shortest time? :confused: So you prefer all the favorites to come together to the finish?

I want the winner to be the best rider.
Passionate about road cycling competition and tactics.
@bicifanatico
User avatar bicifan

25 Dec 2012 21:16

bicifan wrote:A big YES!!! :D

Why the shortest time? :confused: So you prefer all the favorites to come together to the finish?

I want the winner to be the best rider.

Lmao how did you get that from what I wrote. Bonuses encourages the favourites to arrive together.
User avatar Richeypen

25 Dec 2012 22:03

Richeypen wrote:Lmao how did you get that from what I wrote. Bonuses encourages the favourites to arrive together.
It wasn't based on your post, it's based on what happens year after year in the mountain stages. Favorites arrive together more often than not. Bonus secs have brought excitement to the races.
Passionate about road cycling competition and tactics.
@bicifanatico
User avatar bicifan

27 Dec 2012 12:28

a BIG yes to the finishline (30, 20 10 sec)
a yes to the HC mountains (20, 12, 8 sec)
and ban the radios, please
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
Arthur Conan Doyle
User avatar Capablanca and me

27 Dec 2012 13:20

Capablanca and me wrote:a BIG yes to the finishline (30, 20 10 sec)
a yes to the HC mountains (20, 12, 8 sec)
and ban the radios, please
Absolutely, I'd like to see also bonus sec. on intermediate mountains tops, but I guess the polka dot and green jersey competition would suffer from that.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

Previous

Return to Professional road racing