Register

What team would Purito fit into to make it a Tour winning team?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Dec 2012 18:20

With the amount of money he's on, Astana is the only viable option unless he takes a pay cut.
He might have to contend with a Fuglsang hunger strike though.:D
User avatar the asian

24 Dec 2012 19:08

Why not Cannondale? With Nibali gone, there's room for a second GT leader and Basso is doing the Giro.

Edit: del1962 already mentioned them.
phanatic

24 Dec 2012 19:11

hayzer114 wrote:Would a move back to Movistar be a possibility, ok they have Valverde but Purito would have excellent support in the mountains with Quintana and Smydt to set the pace.

no, they don't want him.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

24 Dec 2012 19:12

Cannondale and Lampre to me seem valid suggestions.
argyllflyer

24 Dec 2012 19:14

It's too late for Rodriguez to make successful transfer now.
Besides that, he's too ambitious IMO. The Tour is out of his reach.
I'm afraid he could end in clinic if he doesn't restrain himself.
User avatar serfla

24 Dec 2012 19:17

Cannondale have become more of a classics squad this year. Sagan will be going for the Green jersey and even though he had no problem with Nibs this year would he want his team to be GC focus for the 2nd year in row?

The direction they have taken makes it an unlikely destination but if they have a change of heart he might go there on a one year contract.
User avatar the asian

24 Dec 2012 19:18

serfla wrote:It's too late for Rodriguez to make successful transfer now.
Besides that, he's too ambitious IMO. The Tour is out of his reach.
I'm afraid he could end in clinic if he doesn't restrain himself.

Out of his reach? He is a great climber and he has improved his tt a lot. (he's better than A Schleck now) So if Andy could win tdf why not Purito?
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

24 Dec 2012 19:33

LaFlorecita wrote:Out of his reach? He is a great climber

I wouldn't agree completely. He gets advantage only on specific climbs. Very different from Tour climbs, and very differently ridden from Giro or Vuelta ascents. Very possible his legs would be broken by tempo ride even before the final climb on a Tour stage.
LaFlorecita wrote: and he has improved his tt a lot. (he's better than A Schleck now) So if Andy could win tdf why not Purito?

Improved from losing quarter hour on flat itt to a fifth?

Not Tour caliber, IMO.
He couldn't beat returnee Contador and Valverde with the Tour in his legs, on a perfect route and in the season of his life.
User avatar serfla

24 Dec 2012 19:38

Man, what a mess.
J-Rod would make Astana a real force in TdF, but I like to see him and Moreno at Argos in '13.
Dazed and Confused

24 Dec 2012 20:03

LaFlorecita wrote:Out of his reach? He is a great climber and he has improved his tt a lot. (he's better than A Schleck now) So if Andy could win tdf why not Purito?
True. If anybody thinks Andy can win the Tour, then even more so Purito.
I'm not saying he will though. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

24 Dec 2012 20:12

Ryo Hazuki wrote:none, as purito will never win the tour, no matter what team

I agree as I don't see any of the contending teams wanting to take him.
User avatar masking_agent

24 Dec 2012 20:19

I could see Lampre picking him up, I doubt they have the money, but they only have Scarponi and he sucked last year, so maybe they want to upgrade :)
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

24 Dec 2012 20:40

gustienordic wrote:I could see Lampre picking him up, I doubt they have the money, but they only have Scarponi and he sucked last year, so maybe they want to upgrade :)

Il piccolo principe says hi.. :D
Wigwan

24 Dec 2012 20:56

mighty uk postal will take him on board
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

24 Dec 2012 21:01

jens_attacks wrote:mighty uk postal will take him on board

And designate for the Tour leader?
It's about the Tour, remember.
User avatar serfla

24 Dec 2012 23:39

Lampre and Euskatel I think would both be good teams for him but I'm not sure either have the money. Cannondale could support him but there might be some problems there with Sagan. BlancoBank would be able to support him in the Tour as long as they are 100% behind him.

I think it's a mistake for him to find another team and focus on the Tour though, especially at this time in the season. I think he should just stick with Katusha (assuming they take a step down to continental) and go for Giro Vuelta plus the classics.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

25 Dec 2012 01:07

I doubt he can win the Tour and the big teams have already filled their rosters pretty much for the new season. He will have to take a pay cut to ride in one of the smaller teams. Maybe sign a one year contract and look for something better at the end of 2013.
movingtarget

25 Dec 2012 08:52

Afrank wrote:Lampre and Euskatel I think would both be good teams for him but I'm not sure either have the money. Cannondale could support him but there might be some problems there with Sagan. BlancoBank would be able to support him in the Tour as long as they are 100% behind him.

I think it's a mistake for him to find another team and focus on the Tour though, especially at this time in the season. I think he should just stick with Katusha (assuming they take a step down to continental) and go for Giro Vuelta plus the classics.

He'll still target T-A and the Ardennes classics, I'm sure.

I don't think it's a mistake to focus on the Tour, though. The route suits him so much that he'd be a legitimate podium contender. He won't be a shoe-in for a podium spot, ofc, but he has a shot. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone who obviously cares about that and doesn't only care about winning, like Contador.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

25 Dec 2012 10:28

There is only 1 team for Purito, and that is the A to the S to the T to the A to the N to the A
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone

25 Dec 2012 16:52

Vino attacks everyone wrote:There is only 1 team for Purito, and that is the A to the S to the T to the A to the N to the A

This has to be the most likely choice. Only Sky, Astana, & BMC can afford him I think.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing