Register

Ryder Hesjedal - Canadian Athlete of the year

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Ryder Hesjedal - Canadian Athlete of the year

26 Dec 2012 13:40

Or more accurately...

"Ryder Hesjedal wins the Lional Conacher award as Canadian male althete of the year."

National Post

TORONTO — Don’t tell Ryder Hesjedal he won the Giro d’Italia on the last day.

His victorious ride lasted 91 hours 39 minutes two seconds over 21 stages, covering 3,503.8 kilometres from Herning, Denmark, to Milan.

It took 23 days in May — there were two rest days — and the help of every one of his Garmin-Sharp teammates and support staff for Hesjedal to become the first Canadian racer to win a Grand Tour event and only the second non-European to win the Giro.

His journey from peloton to podium took him more than a dozen years as a pro, from mountain biker to road racer.....
User avatar FitSsikS

26 Dec 2012 15:59

Well deserved and should promote cycling in Canada!
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Carols

26 Dec 2012 16:16

Great news are there pictures of him receiving the trophy?
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

26 Dec 2012 17:45

Good win for him , in an Olympic year as well.

Cycling is getting more recognized in the non traditional countries now.
User avatar the asian

26 Dec 2012 17:59

Good for Ryder, he deserved it. Glad to see cyclists winning this types of awards.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

27 Dec 2012 14:24

The Hitch wrote:Great news are there pictures of him receiving the trophy?

The results of the poll were announced on Boxing Day. I don't think there's a formal awards ceremony, but maybe there will be a press conference in the new year.
User avatar GPdesAmeriques

27 Dec 2012 14:29

The Summer Olympics aren't really Canada's strength, I think, so the decision makes sense.
theyoungest

27 Dec 2012 14:31

theyoungest wrote:The Summer Olympics aren't really Canada's strength, I think, so the decision makes sense.

He barely beat a tennis player I never heard off.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

27 Dec 2012 14:59

El Pistolero wrote:He barely beat a tennis player I never heard off.
Never heard of Milos Raonic before. I guess Ryder was pretty much the only choice for this award. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

27 Dec 2012 15:05

I see Ben Johnson has won it twice and figure skaters have
won it three times, but congratulations anyway, mate.
Massive achievement winning the Giro.
User avatar oldcrank

27 Dec 2012 16:44

It is a huge tribute to Ryder and about time a cyclist got some recognition as an athlete from mainstream sports writers. Even as great and deserving as Ryder is in receiving the award the fact that a Tennis player with his win / loss record, came second is still an indication that cycling is a low profile sport to Canadian sports writers and in the media guys Like Michael Enwright editorialize that cycling is not even a sport.
Ryder is very deserving of the award and even though the award should have gone to Steve Bauer as the first I am more than happy Ryder was first.
In the women's choice Christine Sinclair wiped out second place which was no surprise. Given the magnitude of Ryders win I thoght the votes were too close for the men. Still a long way to go.
Congrats Ryder. You Earned it!
User avatar Master50

27 Dec 2012 18:17

oldcrank wrote:I see Ben Johnson has won it twice and figure skaters have
won it three times, but congratulations anyway, mate.

Jeesh, even a...a... golfer won it a few times!

That said -

Overall, hockey players have finished at the top of the annual polls the most times at 25. Track and field is second with 13 winners and football third with 10.
~Wikipedia~
User avatar FitSsikS

29 Dec 2012 05:29

Good for Ryder. I wondered if they were going to forget about a guy who's major accomplishment was back in May. Raonic had a hell of a year, but Ryder was the obvious choice.

Didn't realize what a legend Lionel Conacher was. A champion in pro football and pro hockey, played semi-pro baseball, a member of the Hockey, Lacrosse, and Football Halls of Fame, sat in the provincial and federal parliaments... Jesus, there's a resume a guy could be proud of.
User avatar pedaling squares

Return to Professional road racing