Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Jan 2013 06:50

mickkk wrote:The TDU seems to have suffered a form of breakdown, I think caused by its unwavering support of and association with lance Armstrong.

A lot of sponsors and people are gutted, the fall out tremendous. People just left burned.

Publicity in Australia has almost been zero this time around.

I think it has been knocked back a good 5 years in terms of development.

Really? I have heard many promos for it? It is just the same as other years. Don't sweat about it as the press around the event will increase once the event becomes closer. Over 2 weeks away.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

04 Jan 2013 07:26

mickkk wrote:The TDU seems to have suffered a form of breakdown, I think caused by its unwavering support of and association with lance Armstrong.

A lot of sponsors and people are gutted, the fall out tremendous. People just left burned.

Yeah it definitely used to get more advance publicity but the South Australians and the real cycling fans will keep supporting it. The shock of the Armstrong news was not such a a shock to many people although sponsors and the public always see things differently. Good riders keep attending and the good teams seem to think it is worthwhile. The furor will blow over and it is a good event early in the season. Eddy's appearance at the race and the Badger this year is also good PR for it.
movingtarget

04 Jan 2013 07:48

Really? I see lots more cyclists than ever on the roads, hopefully that translates to some spectators on the side of the road. I do get the odd smart **** coment at work though re drugs etc, but whats new. I am headed to the race for the first time and really looking forward to it. A family member lives at the bottom of old wilunga hill so I migh have to take the bike a do a recon ride.
austy37

04 Jan 2013 10:34

austy37 wrote:A family member lives at the bottom of old wilunga hill so I migh have to take the bike a do a recon ride.

I'd be interested in hearing how many people make it there. I went to the TDU the first year LA made it and hill was packed.

I think it's a great event that lets you get so close to some of the biggest names in cycling.
mherm79

04 Jan 2013 19:21

Radioshack Leopard Trek for People's Choice Classic and TdU:

BENNETT George
DIDIER Laurent
HERMANS Ben
MACHADO Tiago
SCHLECK Andy
SERGENT Jesse
VOIGT Jens

DS: José Azevedo (Kim Andersen broke a leg during skiing holiday)

http://sport.rtl.lu/cyclissem/news/373061.html
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

05 Jan 2013 09:52

Christian wrote:Radioshack Leopard Trek for People's Choice Classic and TdU:

BENNETT George
DIDIER Laurent
HERMANS Ben
MACHADO Tiago
SCHLECK Andy
SERGENT Jesse
VOIGT Jens

Damm I'd love to be there to see Schleck (and of course Mr Voigt.)
mherm79

05 Jan 2013 09:59

Christian wrote:Radioshack Leopard Trek for People's Choice Classic and TdU:

BENNETT George
DIDIER Laurent
HERMANS Ben
MACHADO Tiago
SCHLECK Andy
SERGENT Jesse
VOIGT Jens

watching schleck launching machado on stage 2 and on willunga will be something to behold :cool: :p
User avatar Parrulo

05 Jan 2013 10:01

Parrulo wrote:watching schleck launching machado on stage 2 and on willunga will be something to behold :cool: :p

Yes, Machado will be back with Andy at about 10 minutes behind the peloton. Machado will be holding Andy's hand on the descent of a small hill because Frank is not there.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

05 Jan 2013 10:32

Parrulo wrote:watching schleck launching machado on stage 2 and on willunga will be something to behold :cool: :p

You mean with 50 km to go on stage two and the first, not the second, ascent of Willunga? Let's face it, Machado never attacks at the right place ;)
maltiv

05 Jan 2013 10:42

maltiv wrote:You mean with 50 km to go on stage two and the first, not the second, ascent of Willunga? Let's face it, Machado never attacks at the right place ;)

can't disagree but isn't that why we love him? :p last year he attacked on the flat btw the willunga climbs so it wouldn't surprise me if he went sooner this year :o
User avatar Parrulo

05 Jan 2013 10:47

Parrulo wrote:can't disagree but isn't that why we love him? :p last year he did attack the first time up willunga so it wouldn't surprise me if he did it again this year :o

Well I had money on him last year at ridiculous odds (80 or so I think), so I won't ever forgive him for riding like a retard that day. I could've been rich! :D
maltiv

05 Jan 2013 11:00

maltiv wrote:Well I had money on him last year at ridiculous odds (80 or so I think), so I won't ever forgive him for riding like a retard that day. I could've been rich! :D

That was his only chance, he isn't going to beat Valverde and Gerrans in a sprint.

And let's face it, until 1 k to go his chances were looking pretty good.
theyoungest

05 Jan 2013 11:04

machado's racing style is hilariously idiotic.

last year with 3 or 4 team mates working in the group he counters pate and gutierrez attack(hardly dangerous riders) who obviously don't work with him so he pushes alone for like 3 or 4k of flat and part of the willunga hill until he is caught with 1 k to go, and then after getting caught instead of sitting on some1's wheel he rides side by side with the group the entire last km lol and it even wasn't side by side with valverde, no it was side by sade with bakelants who was last on the group
User avatar Parrulo

05 Jan 2013 11:06

theyoungest wrote:That was his only chance, he isn't going to beat Valverde and Gerrans in a sprint.

And let's face it, until 1 k to go his chances were looking pretty good.

he should have waited for the start of the climb imo, around the same time madrazo attacked, he wasted valuable energy on the flat imo.

also this year he must attack on that stage 2 hill, it looks from the info you posted like a place where a pure climber could put some time into the likes of gerrans and EBH.
User avatar Parrulo

05 Jan 2013 11:14

maltiv wrote:You mean with 50 km to go on stage two and the first, not the second, ascent of Willunga? Let's face it, Machado never attacks at the right place ;)

For Tiago Machado, no place is the wrong place to attack. His first cycling purchase, before he even got a bike, was "Cycling Tactics: A Comprehensive Guide" by Jacky Durand and Alexander Vinokourov.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

05 Jan 2013 11:43

Libertine Seguros wrote:For Tiago Machado, no place is the wrong place to attack. His first cycling purchase, before he even got a bike, was "Cycling Tactics: A Comprehensive Guide" by Jacky Durand and Alexander Vinokourov.

You should mention Barredo as well :)
burning

05 Jan 2013 12:04

Parrulo wrote:he should have waited for the start of the climb imo, around the same time madrazo attacked, he wasted valuable energy on the flat imo.

also this year he must attack on that stage 2 hill, it looks from the info you posted like a place where a pure climber could put some time into the likes of gerrans and EBH.

How is Machado on the steeper gradients? Not that great, I think?

Libertine Seguros wrote:For Tiago Machado, no place is the wrong place to attack. His first cycling purchase, before he even got a bike, was "Cycling Tactics: A Comprehensive Guide" by Jacky Durand and Alexander Vinokourov.

Vino? You mean the guy who won a lot of races not by being the strongest, but by being the smartest?
theyoungest

05 Jan 2013 12:55

auscyclefan94 wrote:Lab results have only been given high importance in Australia because of Evans breaking all of the lab records at the AIS and being described as one of the most talented athletes they have had at the AIS, according to the sport scientists. Due to the Evans achieving many top results, this has now become a defining indicator of talent on the road for future riders, which I believe is wrong.

lol, I stopped reading there. that is simply a lie and a really bad one
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

05 Jan 2013 12:56

mherm79 wrote:Why does GreenEdge need a strong GC rider? They could focus on classics and stages in the way HTC did and the Belgiums normally do.

because in australia only the tour is important
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

05 Jan 2013 13:26

Ryo Hazuki wrote:because in australia only the tour is important

What makes you think that ? Australian TV has good coverage of all the major races. The dedicated cycling fan in Australia is interested in more than just the Tour. Also GE had a pretty good first season and most of their buys are young guys, sprinters and classics riders. I don't think they are too worried about signing a quality GC rider at the moment as that would change the whole structure of the team they have already built. Obviously they are hoping some of the young guys improve in that direction.
movingtarget

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing