Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

07 Jan 2013 16:37

Thanx :)

Btw, when CQ ranking says that Ausie TT is on 9th afternoon I guess ?

Would time and day would that be for Europeans ?
Gloin22

07 Jan 2013 17:34

It seems Michael Hepburn isn't starting either the RR or TT. Does anybody know the reason?
User avatar the asian

07 Jan 2013 18:07

Gloin22 wrote:Thanx :)

Wednesday, 9 January – Time Trials

Lake Wendouree, Ballarat

•9:30am: U23 Men’s Time Trial (29.2kms)
•12:00pm: Elite & U23 Women’s Time Trial (29.2kms)
2:30pm: Elite Men’s Time Trial (37kms)

Saturday 12 & Sunday 13 January – Road Races

Geelong Rd, Buninyong

Saturday

•9:00am: U23 Men’s Road Race (2 x Big & 8 x Small laps) 137.2kms
•1:30pm: Elite & U23 Women’s Road Race (2 x Big & 5 x Small laps) 106.6kms

Sunday

•11:30am: Elite Men’s Road Race (3 x Big & 11 x Small laps) 195.6kms

Its somewhere at night in europe.
User avatar Ruudz0r

07 Jan 2013 19:16

Think this race will be an important indicator for us Astana fans to see if Maxim has managed to get his *** on the bike and trained properly this winter.
Personally I am afraid that the LBL victory might have killed his motivation to do what needs to be done form him to reach his top form :(
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

07 Jan 2013 19:22

Gloin22 wrote:Thanx :)

2.30pm on the 9th will be -11hrs for London time, so 3.30am in the UK (same day).
Wilba60

07 Jan 2013 19:53

Early weather forecast suggests perfect weather for the TDU. No sign in the early forecasts of 35-45C temps, which mean there may not be a lot of wind around either.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/adelaide/25257/january-weather/25257
Warmer
31° Lo 20°
Colder
25° Lo 16°
Sunny
27° Lo 16°
Sunny
27° Lo 16°
Sunny
30° Lo 21°
Sunny
30° Lo 20°
Cloudy
29° Lo 20°
Partly sunny
30° Lo 21°
Wilba60

07 Jan 2013 19:58

And for the Australian Championships; only suggesting one really hot day and there is no racing on the Friday, so looks perfect. Could be a degree or two cooler in Ballarat.

Wednesday 9 January
SummaryMin 13Max 20Morning shower or two.
Melbourne area
Isolated showers during the morning. Afternoon sunny periods. Winds southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h.

Thursday 10 January
SummaryMin 13Max 28Becoming sunny.
Melbourne area
Mostly sunny. Light winds.

Friday 11 January
SummaryMin 18Max 37Possible late shower.
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. The chance of showers during the afternoon and evening. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h shifting cooler south to southwesterly during the afternoon.

Saturday 12 January
SummaryMin 18Max 25Possible morning shower.
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. The chance of showers during the morning. Winds south to southwesterly and light increasing to 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Sunday 13 January
SummaryMin 15Max 26Partly cloudy.
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Winds south to southeasterly and light increasing to 15 to 20 km/h during the morning.
Wilba60

07 Jan 2013 20:58

Vino attacks everyone wrote:Think this race will be an important indicator for us Astana fans to see if Maxim has managed to get his *** on the bike and trained properly this winter.
Personally I am afraid that the LBL victory might have killed his motivation to do what needs to be done form him to reach his top form :(

well we have kash anyway:p
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

07 Jan 2013 21:02

jens_attacks wrote:well we have kash anyway:p

Yes ofc, but it would be nice to have Iglinsky there to win some classics to, not just GCs with Kash :D
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

08 Jan 2013 01:29

auscyclefan94 wrote:Can he go with better puncheurs like Gerrans or some of the other Australians and Spaniards? I doubt that.

Many of the Euros come out a week before to acclimatise. I think they should be alright.

I'm interested to see what Koen de Kort can do in the TDU for Argos now they finally have an invite. He has spent the last 3-4 off seasons based on the Gold Coast and is usually flying this time of the year.

He obviously won't win the GC but does anyone think that he could shake things up a little?
How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss

08 Jan 2013 01:31

gustienordic wrote:Only for stage races without climbs. He is not a great climber by any stretch of the imagination.

I would also say that but there is the instance of Wiggins and Meyer has even gone better at a younger age (GT/ stage race wise), so anything is now possible.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

08 Jan 2013 01:48

The stage into Stirling could be good for him as Kittel will not be able to sprint- he will lose up to 20 or so seconds.

I can't help but feel Argos should have brought Degenkolb, he could have won a few stages and not lost so much time on the climbs and could have then finished in the top 5 or so.

D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

08 Jan 2013 03:41

Wilba60 wrote:And for the Australian Championships; only suggesting one really hot day and there is no racing on the Friday, so looks perfect. Could be a degree or two cooler in Ballarat.

The Bureau of Meteorology's interactive weather forecasting chart has added new colours – deep purple and pink – to extend its previous temperature range that had been capped at 50 degrees. The range now extends to 54 degrees – well above the all-time record temperature of 50.7 degrees reached on January 2, 1960 at Oodnadatta Airport in South Australia – and, perhaps worringly, the forecast outlook is starting to deploy the new colours

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/temperatures-off-the-charts-as-australia-turns-deep-purple-20130108-2ce33.html#ixzz2HLsQNu2j
User avatar swuzzlebubble

Greetings from South Australia

09 Jan 2013 11:16

Just chiming in, I'm more a lurker than contributor, but I live near Adelaide, and ride with a local veterans club over many of these roads. I know this race well, have been here for 9/15 editions, so can't resist putting my 2 cents in.

The first few years that this was a WT race it was dominated by sprinters. The climbs here are too short to really set up any kind of climbers battle at that level (even in the early season). The organisers have done well to alter this, first with 2 times up Willunga, then last year with the HTF. So more of a hilly classics type profile. Willunga Hill is far from the hardest climb in the area (Penny's Hill, the descent, is actually steeper), but that stage has endured due to spectator-friendliness and fabulous community support.

There are two big changes this year - the Corkscrew Road climb, and the increase in the Stirling loop from three to six times around. The climb up Corkscrew is definitely hard, but relatively short. The descent is a screamer, only ~7 K to the finish, and pretty curvy. So not a descent that a group is going to have much luck chasing on, but a skilled descender could do well.

The profile of the Stirling loop is pretty lumpy, and increasing the loops from three to six will likely sap the sprinters legs. (sorry Bling)

Overall this race favours the puncheurs for the overall,with stages 1, 4, and 6 grist for the quicks. Of course opportunists can always surprise, and the weather can intervene. At this point we're having a cooling trend but 2 weeks is a long time. They are skipping the windy Fleurieu this year, but the winds can also play up in the Barrossa. (BTW, Ballarat for the Nats is looking decidedly cool, forecast for Sunday is for top of 18C with showers. I'll be there as well:))

So Gerro, Gilbert, Valverde (if he comes, Movistar haven't announced yet), CAS
Kash, for the GC, Watch out for Adam Hansen. Greipel will be hard to beat for the sprints, but a lot will try. Don't know who OGE are sending, but my bets are O'Grady, Goss, Cam Meyer, Gerro, Matthews, Clarke, and ??. (Durbridge, Bobridge, Howard-------?)

I'd like to see them add a hill climb TT (Mt Lofty?) someday, they could do it on road bikes.

See you on Willunga Hill?
Tragic

09 Jan 2013 11:25

Thanks for your preview, Tragic. I was thinking about Corkscrew Road climb and how long it actually was. Profile didn't seem overly detailed in that respect. Someone could definitely get away and stay away on that climb. Who knows?
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

09 Jan 2013 11:31

auscyclefan94 wrote:Thanks for your preview, Tragic. I was thinking about Corkscrew Road climb and how long it actually was. Profile didn't seem overly detailed in that respect. Someone could definitely get away and stay away on that climb. Who knows?

It's only a little over 2K, but very steep in parts. If a good descender can get a gap at the top he won't be caught. On the other hand there probably won't be a big gap at the finish.
Tragic

09 Jan 2013 16:06

if the old willunga hill is the alpe d'huez of south australia then we should call corkscrew the aussie mortirolo :P

because i was interested in this new corkscrew road climb:

overall 3,7 km@6,3%

the first 2 kms are easy at 4%

after, you have 1,7 at 8,8%,there are some little hairpins too which are great for an attacker.
the problem is if the attacker can put a nice gap at the top,there are still 7 kms to the finish
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

09 Jan 2013 16:45

jens_attacks wrote:if the old willunga hill is the alpe d'huez of south australia then we should call corkscrew the aussie mortirolo :P

overall 3,7 km@6,3%

the first 2 kms are easy at 4%

after, you have 1,7 at 8,8%,there are some little hairpins too which are great for an attacker.
the problem is if the attacker can put a nice gap at the top,there are still 7 kms to the finish

Let me quote my own post from a few pages back. This I found on Google:

Corkscrew is a 2.48km climb (starting at the bridge) that has 3 distinct sections and has an average gradient of 9.5%. The first relatively straight section (about 1km) is 8 - 12% gardient, and then comes the mini Alpe D'Huez - only 4 short hairpins covering about 700m, but the gradient sits at 15 - 17% on the straight bits, from there the last 700m slowly levels out to 7% at the end (from about 11%), and then comes the 135 degree corner and straight down Montacute.

It sounds quite hard, surely for the allrounders like EBH it could be a bit of a problem. Yes, there's still 7 kms to the finish, but it's 7 kms of technical descent, apparently.
theyoungest

09 Jan 2013 18:50

theyoungest wrote:Yes, there's still 7 kms to the finish, but it's 7 kms of technical descent, apparently.

no, not at all, there is barely a corner in there
User avatar search

09 Jan 2013 22:55

Tragic wrote:So Gerro, Gilbert, Valverde (if he comes, Movistar haven't announced yet), CAS
Kash, for the GC, Watch out for Adam Hansen. Greipel will be hard to beat for the sprints, but a lot will try. Don't know who OGE are sending, but my bets are O'Grady, Goss, Cam Meyer, Gerro, Matthews, Clarke, and ??. (Durbridge, Bobridge, Howard-------?)

I'd like to see them add a hill climb TT (Mt Lofty?) someday, they could do it on road bikes.

See you on Willunga Hill?

Great Post.
I shall be there on Wilunga.
Bobridge does not ride on OGE any more- he rides for Rabobank/Blanco now.

D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing