Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

10 Jan 2013 00:14

Tragic wrote:So Gerro, Gilbert, Valverde (if he comes, Movistar haven't announced yet), CAS
Kash, for the GC, Watch out for Adam Hansen. Greipel will be hard to beat for the sprints, but a lot will try. Don't know who OGE are sending, but my bets are O'Grady, Goss, Cam Meyer, Gerro, Matthews, Clarke, and ??. (Durbridge, Bobridge, Howard-------?)

No Howard either, he will be at San Luis and as Greenedge mentions, Bobridge is no longer at OGE
Wilba60

10 Jan 2013 06:50

Hello, does anyone know whether Will Clarke will get a ride with UniSA again? Last year it worked out nicely for him since he won a stage.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian

10 Jan 2013 07:36

I don't think Argos would appreciate that.
Ferminal

10 Jan 2013 07:56

Of course they would, they'll have 8 riders in the race.
theyoungest

10 Jan 2013 08:22

greenedge wrote:Great Post.
I shall be there on Wilunga.
Bobridge does not ride on OGE any more- he rides for Rabobank/Blanco now.

Thanks, my bad.:p
Tragic

10 Jan 2013 08:31

search wrote:no, not at all, there is barely a corner in there

You're either being facetious or haven't been there. The first 2 Ks from the top to the hamlet of Montacute is a nearly continuous set of S bends - no hairpins but at least one is sharp enough for a 25KPH sign. On a closed road a skilled,nervy descender could make up a lot of time (or come to lots of grief!)

Drove the climb and descent this morning, will post more detail.
Tragic

10 Jan 2013 09:48

Tragic wrote:You're either being facetious or haven't been there. The first 2 Ks from the top to the hamlet of Montacute is a nearly continuous set of S bends - no hairpins but at least one is sharp enough for a 25KPH sign. On a closed road a skilled,nervy descender could make up a lot of time (or come to lots of grief!)

Drove the climb and descent this morning, will post more detail.

thanks

no, I have never been there, I have just had a look at it on the map
User avatar search

10 Jan 2013 09:49

theyoungest wrote:Let me quote my own post from a few pages back. This I found on Google:

It sounds quite hard, surely for the allrounders like EBH it could be a bit of a problem. Yes, there's still 7 kms to the finish, but it's 7 kms of technical descent, apparently.

I drove the climb and descent this morning, here's what I got. My percentages are guesses, yours could be more accurate, and some of my distances are approximate ( it's a little hard to drive, read the odometer AND write down your readings.)

KM

0 – Junction Corkscrew Rd and Gorge Rd. Gently curving up to
1 – One lane bridge. A few curves kicking up to ~4-5 %
1.8 Straightens out and gradually increases in pitch
2.4 Kicks up again, series of hairpin bends. Guessing 8 – 10 %, more on the bends. I think this is the steepest part
3.2 Eases off just a bit, short straight section then a couple more hairpins
3.7 Top and junction with Montacute Road. Descent not as steep as the climb, and no hairpins (but one bend sharp enough to have a 25/KPH sign). I would say steady 5 – 7% and many S bends
~7 Hamlet of Montacute. Pitch drops to ?2-4% , still curvy but gentler
~11 Roundabout, road widens, few curves. From Roundabout to finish~1.5 K later, is still down but only ~1%

It will be a VERY fast 7 K

The road surface between the top and Montacute is pretty rough.

I'm not prone to bold predictions, but would be very surprised if there are any sprinters left or any kind of organised chase on this descent. Possible scenario is small group at the top with a pretty exciting descending race (ala Mendriso?)
There probably won't be any big gaps between GC contenders, but none of them can afford to relax on this one.

Hard part is figuring out where to be, the top of the Corkscrew would be great but will be hard to get to.
Tragic

10 Jan 2013 11:39

Clearly Meyer is on very good form. Should be tough to beat on Wilunga.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

10 Jan 2013 15:25

auscyclefan94 wrote:Clearly Meyer is on very good form. Should be tough to beat on Wilunga.

Its prediction like that that got you a JVDB avatar.

Just dont see the logic, a strong crit performance isnt suddenly gonna mean he is capable of a great performance on Old Wilunga Hll.

Its unlikely he'll even be the leader for his team.
mc_mountain

10 Jan 2013 20:22

Christian wrote:Hello, does anyone know whether Will Clarke will get a ride with UniSA again? Last year it worked out nicely for him since he won a stage.

He's riding with Argos.
Tragic

10 Jan 2013 20:25

mc_mountain wrote:Its prediction like that that got you a JVDB avatar.

Just dont see the logic, a strong crit performance isnt suddenly gonna mean he is capable of a great performance on Old Wilunga Hll.

He's done pretty well in this race before:)
Tragic

10 Jan 2013 21:09

Tragic wrote:He's done pretty well in this race before:)

in a very different set of circumstances.
mc_mountain

10 Jan 2013 22:49

mc_mountain wrote:Its prediction like that that got you a JVDB avatar.

It is not an official prediction. From what others on here have said and how strong his performance was, it wouldn't surprise me if he is targetting the TDU. I have always said that the hype around Meyer is unjustified until he proves in the big races.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.

10 Jan 2013 22:50

mc_mountain wrote:...Just dont see the logic, a strong crit performance isnt suddenly gonna mean he is capable of a great performance on Old Wilunga Hll...

Its Wilunga Hill, not Angrilu.
PCutter

10 Jan 2013 23:27

PCutter wrote:Its Wilunga Hill, not Angrilu.

if it was Angrilu I'd be taklking about whether he'd be inside the time limit.

you know he lost 6+ mins on the same stage last year?
mc_mountain

10 Jan 2013 23:38

mc_mountain wrote:if it was Angrilu I'd be taklking about whether he'd be inside the time limit.

you know he lost 6+ mins on the same stage last year?

Did you watch the stage? He was caught behind a massive split up the road that went away over the top of the Wilunga Hill for the 1st time.

11 Jan 2013 00:13

auscyclefan94 wrote:Did you watch the stage? He was caught behind a massive split up the road that went away over the top of the Wilunga Hill for the 1st time.

I'm not sure what your point is, he wasnt up with the head of the race the first time they went over Wilunga in 2012. how does that dispute my position that it is unlikely he will be a major factor on the same stage in 2013.

perhpas you can help me out, do you think

a)meyer will be tough to be beat on stage 5 of tdu 2013
b)meyer wont be much of a factor on stage 5 tdu 2013
c)not sure i'll hedge my bets by hyping him and then saying hype for meyer is unjustified.

and in case I have misunderstood your position

d)i have a consistent view on how cam meyer will perform on the stage in question and it is this...
mc_mountain

11 Jan 2013 00:19

This will definately be the best edition of the TDU (not that some of the past have been great to watch). The Montacute stage will b very interesting and in my opinion more important than Willunga. I think it will probably have a solo winnner or very small group but the gain will be very minimal. It wouldnt surprise me if some contenders not on form ruin there race here and now though considering how close the final GC at the TDU always is.

Having grown up little more than a couple of Ks away I agree with a lot of what Tragic has to say. Corkscrew Rd is definately harder than Willunga but a lot shorter.

If your half decent down hill and get to the top of Corkscrew with a gap I cant see you getting caught. The desent is probably more difficult at the top and will b hard to organise a chase behind as you get closer to the bottom the road straightens out. Its a fast desent but the roads are good ( i think there relaying some of the surface at the moment) and its down hill all the way to the finish even the last couple hundred meters.

Willunga in my opinion will be similar to last year with a small group sprint meaning who ever out of that lead group can do well on Montacute should take GC out barring break aways. Stirling I dont think will have a major impact on GC but should be a good day of racing. The other days are typical TDU days flat and probably hot.
buster1

11 Jan 2013 03:45

Anyone who is in good form can top5-10 Wilunga. Form is a much better indicator than ability at this stage of the season.
Ferminal

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing