Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Jan 2013 16:00

Ferminal wrote:He's in with a shot on the Stirling stage, no chance against proper sprinters on flat/downhill finishes though.

Presumably Matthews is riding for Raboblanco? Odds on fave for Stirling stage as usual, if so.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

01 Jan 2013 16:01

I see Demare wants a piece of the party. Could be an ideal course for the young Frenchman.
Dazed and Confused

01 Jan 2013 16:02

will10 wrote:Presumably Matthews is riding for Raboblanco? Odds on fave for Stirling stage as usual, if so.

He rides for the Aussie OGE team now... ;)

I don't really now who they're sending.
User avatar Pentacycle

01 Jan 2013 16:18

jens_attacks wrote:kash will make the peloton suffer no doubt

hear hear!
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone

01 Jan 2013 17:30

It seems that some teams haven't finalized their lineup yet.

Out of the riders mentioned Gerrans should be favourite. Lloyd could also be competitive. Pretty sure he will lead Lampre. Nathan Haas could be an outside bet.
User avatar the asian

01 Jan 2013 17:38

will10 wrote:Presumably Matthews is riding for Raboblanco? Odds on fave for Stirling stage as usual, if so.

Matthews will be riding in support of Gerrans, at Greenedge. But yeah, that Stirling finish suits him to a tee, won the sprint there twice already.
theyoungest

01 Jan 2013 17:56

Great to see they added another selective stage! Stage 2 could potentially be a great stage. With that sharp uphill climb followed by a descent all the way to the finish, an attack will almost certainly stay away imo.
maltiv

01 Jan 2013 18:20

The world champ and gerrans are the main contenders here.
Hopefully Gilbert won't be affected by the curse of the rainbow jersey:eek:
Proud champion of the first ever 2012 Giro d'Italia CQ game[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]
User avatar dlwssonic

01 Jan 2013 19:10

dlwssonic wrote:The world champ and gerrans are the main contenders here.

He had his curse already last season. My guess is that he learned from that and he'll be back to business
User avatar trevim

01 Jan 2013 19:36

dlwssonic wrote:The world champ and gerrans are the main contenders here.

Let's hope he'll delivers :D
User avatar Miburo

01 Jan 2013 19:43

theyoungest wrote:Matthews will be riding in support of Gerrans, at Greenedge. But yeah, that Stirling finish suits him to a tee, won the sprint there twice already.

I'd got it in my head that Matthews had gone from Greenedge to Rabo but obviously that's not right! I'll blame the NYE hangover :D
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

01 Jan 2013 19:49

calinmarian wrote:I disagree:
1.Big Phil
2.Simon "the wheelsucker" Gerrans
3.A.Valverde
4.Gasparotto
5.De Gendt
off the pace for Andy Schleck a place between 15th and 20th.

I predict Andy will finish in 58th place
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

01 Jan 2013 19:55

will10 wrote:I'd got it in my head that Matthews had gone from Greenedge to Rabo but obviously that's not right! I'll blame the NYE hangover :D

The Tour Down Under has only one hill finish that being Old Willunga Hill?It is very hard to find close to Willunga hill gradients another hill to be included as another hill finish to be as a counterweight to the boring stages decided in the last 200 metres of a stage?Please someone from down under to answer me?
calinmarian

01 Jan 2013 20:01

LaFlorecita wrote:I predict Andy will finish in 58th place

Florecita, could you tell me or predict the Saxo-Tinkoff team for TDU?
calinmarian

01 Jan 2013 20:05

calinmarian wrote:Florecita, could you tell me or predict the Saxo-Tinkoff team for TDU?

Cantwell, Rogers, CAS and Duggan are starting.
User avatar the asian

01 Jan 2013 20:08

the asian wrote:Cantwell, Rogers, CAS and Duggan are starting.

Also Chris Juul Jensen
User avatar LaFlorecita

01 Jan 2013 20:14

LaFlorecita wrote:I predict Andy will finish in 58th place

Are you serious?

You think he'll finish the race? :o
User avatar Miburo

01 Jan 2013 20:17

will10 wrote:I'd got it in my head that Matthews had gone from Greenedge to Rabo but obviously that's not right! I'll blame the NYE hangover :D

No, Rabo got the short end of the deal, Bobridge.

calinmarian wrote:The Tour Down Under has only one hill finish that being Old Willunga Hill?It is very hard to find close to Willunga hill gradients another hill to be included as another hill finish to be as a counterweight to the boring stages decided in the last 200 metres of a stage?Please someone from down under to answer me?

They've included another hill, in the 2nd stage, 7 k from the finish line. Quite a steep one, at least it looks that way on paper (maybe the Aussies can enlighten us)
theyoungest

01 Jan 2013 20:18

Miburo wrote:Are you serious?

You think he'll finish the race? :o

Hmm :D yes :D
User avatar LaFlorecita

01 Jan 2013 20:54

theyoungest wrote:No, Rabo got the short end of the deal, Bobridge.

They've included another hill, in the 2nd stage, 7 k from the finish line. Quite a steep one, at least it looks that way on paper (maybe the Aussies can enlighten us)

Rabo probably got the cheapest part of the deal too. ;)

About that climb: from the stage profile(at least if it's accurate) that stage 2 final climb is 2.5 kms at 9%, so it's quite a tough one.
Maybe even too hard for Gilbert and Gerrans, so it might be a climber who wins it.
User avatar Pentacycle

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing