Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

16 Jan 2013 22:32

Good little stage previews up on youtube.

Here's stage 1 to get you started http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk4x3ymoe8c

Once there you can select the other stage videos from the suggestions menu.
Orbit501

16 Jan 2013 22:53

The warning given to team managers over night. This is why the stages aren't 200+ km long

https://twitter.com/i/#!/JensenJuul/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FWhVd2sPp
PCutter

16 Jan 2013 23:34

At Stage 1 there is a little uphill finish and before its a bit hilly.
Do you think, its enough, to be good to Rojas and Boasson?
Or no Problem to guys like Greipel, Guardini, Demare, Goss, Kittel etc?
Team Riis

17 Jan 2013 02:34

Team Riis wrote:At Stage 1 there is a little uphill finish and before its a bit hilly.
Do you think, its enough, to be good to Rojas and Boasson?
Or no Problem to guys like Greipel, Guardini, Demare, Goss, Kittel etc?

It is not that hilly. The profile exaggerates the difficult of the circuits in stage 1.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

17 Jan 2013 03:52

Goss will win, or at least i hope so, for him and my CQ squad.

Demare could go well on that stage too.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

18 Jan 2013 06:12

Planning to be at stages 1,2,3 and 5. Weather looks pretty good.

Stage 1 likely a sprint finish, unless a large group gets away on Checkers Hill

Still think a strong climber/good descender can grab the lead on stage 2 (sorry Andy). (who could that be? Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, Evans all not here, any ideas?)

Saw the Argos team training on the Stirling loop today - watch out for Will Clarke on Stage 3!
Tragic

18 Jan 2013 08:15

Tragic wrote:
Still think a strong climber/good descender can grab the lead on stage 2 (sorry Andy). (who could that be? Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, Evans all not here, any ideas?)

Gilbert and perhaps EBH could be in the mix.
Dazed and Confused

18 Jan 2013 09:18

Dazed and Confused wrote:Gilbert and perhaps EBH could be in the mix.

Think the climb may be a bit much for EBH, not sure about PG.

Just reviewed the start list, here is who I would watch: CAS, DeGendt, Moreno, Rohan Dennis (he's a local), ?Kash or Iglinsky?, Simon Clarke.
Tragic

18 Jan 2013 09:54

Tragic wrote:Think the climb may be a bit much for EBH, not sure about PG.

Just reviewed the start list, here is who I would watch: CAS, DeGendt, Moreno, Rohan Dennis (he's a local), ?Kash or Iglinsky?, Simon Clarke.

Could be too hard and not enough road to get the time back. Good stage design.

CAS lacks explosiveness and is a poor descender, can't see him win the stage.
Maybe Kelderman.
Dazed and Confused

18 Jan 2013 09:59

Tragic wrote:Think the climb may be a bit much for EBH, not sure about PG.

Probably, but most climbers would have to be quite far ahead of him over the top to not be caught on the descent. Unless it's Gilbert in front I think he should be able to catch up with everyone downhill.
maltiv

18 Jan 2013 10:15

Dazed and Confused wrote:Maybe Kelderman.

Slagter would be better; he's very punchy.

Don't know if Slagter is a good descender though.....
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

18 Jan 2013 10:36

Tragic wrote:Planning to be at stages 1,2,3 and 5. Weather looks pretty good.

Stage 1 likely a sprint finish, unless a large group gets away on Checkers Hill

Saw the Argos team training on the Stirling loop today - watch out for Will Clarke on Stage 3!

Is that the stage Clarke won last year? Of course things would have to pan out quite similar for him to win that stage ;)

Matthews would have been a sure bet for the win, but Greenedge decided in all their wisdom to leave him out.

maltiv wrote:Probably, but most climbers would have to be quite far ahead of him over the top to not be caught on the descent. Unless it's Gilbert in front I think he should be able to catch up with everyone downhill.

Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.
theyoungest

18 Jan 2013 10:44

maltiv wrote:Probably, but most climbers would have to be quite far ahead of him over the top to not be caught on the descent. Unless it's Gilbert in front I think he should be able to catch up with everyone downhill.

It's only the first half thats technical so you may be right.
Tragic

18 Jan 2013 10:46

Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.[/QUOTE]

The climb is one of the hardest in the Adelaide Hills, but admittedly short.
Tragic

18 Jan 2013 10:49

theyoungest wrote:Is that the stage Clarke won last year? Of course things would have to pan out quite similar for him to win that stage ;)

Matthews would have been a sure bet for the win, but Greenedge decided in all their wisdom to leave him out.

Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.

It's one of the hardest climbs in the area, but short.
Tragic

18 Jan 2013 11:06

Rode stage 2 corkscrew climb today.. Tough little climb.. Especially in the wind.. But it's done in under 10 minutes, so not enough to be game breaking. Will take some casualties though.
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

18 Jan 2013 11:47

theyoungest wrote:Is that the stage Clarke won last year? Of course things would have to pan out quite similar for him to win that stage ;)

The climb is rather difficult, especially the latter section according to some. An attacker with decent legs could get away and win.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

18 Jan 2013 13:45

Wouldn't rule it out, no one ever wants to chase on that circuit (especially teams with sprinters). Always seems left to Unzue's mob to try and make something happen.

Think this year though starting on a climb, hopefully it means a few bigger names trying to get into the break. A group of 10+ out front would cause real headaches.
Ferminal

18 Jan 2013 16:13

Gilbert tweets we have to watch stage 2 lol.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

18 Jan 2013 16:22

I get the impression that Gilbert is wound up for this race.
barmaher

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing