Log in:  

Register

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

01 Jan 2013 21:02

Pentacycle wrote:Rabo probably got the cheapest part of the deal too. ;)

About that climb: from the stage profile(at least if it's accurate) that stage 2 final climb is 2.5 kms at 9%, so it's quite a tough one.
Maybe even too hard for Gilbert and Gerrans, so it might be a climber who wins it.

A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:

Corkscrew is a 2.48km climb (starting at the bridge) that has 3 distinct sections and has an average gradient of 9.5%. The first relatively straight section (about 1km) is 8 - 12% gardient, and then comes the mini Alpe D'Huez - only 4 short hairpins covering about 700m, but the gradient sits at 15 - 17% on the straight bits, from there the last 700m slowly levels out to 7% at the end (from about 11%), and then comes the 135 degree corner and straight down Montacute.


Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW! ;)
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

01 Jan 2013 22:12

theyoungest wrote:A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:



Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW! ;)


so really improved parcours, better TV coverage, great lineup. Now we just need free drinks.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,887
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

01 Jan 2013 22:52

i decided to officially launch the 2013 season!!!!

added a race date to the tittle and made it a sticky, i know it's still 20 days to go but i bet we will be all over this thread all that time :p

anyway /mod hat off

stage 2 looks great!!!! isn't that little climb actually tougher then willunga?

on a serious machado note, he said he wanted to improve over his third place this year so we can count on him attacking there.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,140
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

01 Jan 2013 23:32

With most of the Australian and Kiwi riders in good form given that most will be racing their National Championships the week before, it will be a real selection dilemna for Orica. Not sure what they will be doing with Simon Clarke as he wasn't around for the early racing last season. This year he is racing in the Aussie team at the Herald Sun Tour and could be a key rider in the Australian Championships the week before the TDU.

He will ride alongside Gerrans in both races pre TDU, so wondering if they are setting him up as an inclusion to the OGE team this year? With his Vuelta KOM hot in his possession, he could be a real force in the Nationals and the TDU if included in the team. Will watch him with interest this Sunday at Arthurs Seat, which is the final leg of the Herald Sun Tour.

Mathews may have some stages that suit him well at TDU but will he get selected in his new team?
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

01 Jan 2013 23:45

Parrulo wrote:i decided to officially launch the 2013 season!!!!

added a race date to the tittle and made it a sticky, i know it's still 20 days to go but i bet we will be all over this thread all that time :p

anyway /mod hat off

stage 2 looks great!!!! isn't that little climb actually tougher then willunga?

on a serious machado note, he said he wanted to improve over his third place this year so we can count on him attacking there.

Everything looks great, it's January:)
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,305
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

02 Jan 2013 02:06

Wilba60 wrote:With most of the Australian and Kiwi riders in good form given ....
Mathews may have some stages that suit him well at TDU but will he get selected in his new team?


I expect all the guys with form or at least riding in the 'summer of cycling' to be in the team, so I see Mathews in the squad with possibly Howard as well, not sure about Goss. He's riding the Sun Tour and given Gerro has stated he will be easing off at MSR with an eye for the Ardennes perhaps OGE will look to get Goss up earlier than targeted last year, so possibly all 3 sprinters in the squad with Howard as lead out (depending on who has the legs). Add Gerro and Clarke (given he's riding Sun Tour I agree, he looks like Gerro's helper) and probably Durbridge since he will be in full prep for the National TT and thus carrying form, Stuey for his home race will always be a good guess and maybe the last spot goes to Jens Mouris who's been looking strong given his off season spent in Australia
PCutter
Junior Member
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 02:08

02 Jan 2013 06:57

Gerrans or Gilbert to win I think.

I think Gavazzi or Ponzi could go well here.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,169
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

02 Jan 2013 08:52

PCutter wrote:I expect all the guys with form or at least riding in the 'summer of cycling' to be in the team, so I see Mathews in the squad with possibly Howard as well, not sure about Goss. He's riding the Sun Tour and given Gerro has stated he will be easing off at MSR with an eye for the Ardennes perhaps OGE will look to get Goss up earlier than targeted last year, so possibly all 3 sprinters in the squad with Howard as lead out (depending on who has the legs). Add Gerro and Clarke (given he's riding Sun Tour I agree, he looks like Gerro's helper) and probably Durbridge since he will be in full prep for the National TT and thus carrying form, Stuey for his home race will always be a good guess and maybe the last spot goes to Jens Mouris who's been looking strong given his off season spent in Australia


Wonder how much of an advantage it will be for the guys riding the Herald Sun Tour and then Nationals? I am not sure if the first road stage of the Sun Tour is going to be an advantage or disadvantage, 41C and headwind all the way will be a day to forget for most. Watch out this Friday to see the very worst South East Australian weather conditions and who survives it.

I would love to see Mathews riding the TDU, I predict he will be like Gerrans, Clarke, Davis and Impey to name a few who kick on with OGE and the way they race. Stuey has an interview on SBS and it sounds like he is a certainty for the TDU. Durbridge is flying and won today at Portarlington, so I reckon your team is pretty close to the mark. I remember reading an article with some names of the OGE riders going to San Luis, not sure if it was Howard or Docker mentioned.
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

02 Jan 2013 08:56

Did find this article on the San Luis thread;
http://procyclingbet.com/fr/content/tour-de-san-luis-1

If it is accurate, it would seem like Howard won't be riding in South Australia.
Wilba60
Junior Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: 06 May 2009 01:49

02 Jan 2013 11:12

jens_attacks wrote:valverde...he won't even be present i guess ???

anyway this is simon's race to lose.i don't think phil will match a full form aussie in tour down under.

kash will make the peloton suffer no doubt

Valverde is not competing. Personally, I would not want a GreenEdge walkover like last year...zzz.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

02 Jan 2013 11:15

A Greenedge walkover? They didn't win a single stage... and the overall only due to some lucky bonus seconds.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

02 Jan 2013 11:15

theyoungest wrote:A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:



Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW! ;)

Woah, didn't realize it was that hard! That could take guys like EBH out of contention. Seems way harder than Willunga imo, but people might come back on the descent.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,238
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

02 Jan 2013 11:19

Wilba60 wrote:Did find this article on the San Luis thread;
http://procyclingbet.com/fr/content/tour-de-san-luis-1

If it is accurate, it would seem like Howard won't be riding in South Australia.


Had forgotten that, I think I saw him in an interview saying he was going and hoping to clock up an early season win, so maybe swap in Docker. And given your weather update for the Jayco Tour maybe a big day of sitting in the bunch for day 1!!
PCutter
Junior Member
 
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Apr 2010 02:08

02 Jan 2013 11:23

theyoungest wrote:A Greenedge walkover? They didn't win a single stage... and the overall only due to some lucky bonus seconds.


Them winning the overall was a walkover, something that I hope is not repeated.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

02 Jan 2013 11:34

auscyclefan94 wrote:Them winning the overall was a walkover, something that I hope is not repeated.

How was it a walkover? Valverde was the strongest, he only lost the race because Gerrans snuck in before him on that Stirling finish.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

02 Jan 2013 11:48

I can't wait for the Tour Down Under, the kick start to the season and a brilliant race in general. I'll be back on Twitter analyzing the races and providing advice on who the best bets are for the races ahead for the season. Last year I nominated Simon Gerrans for the win and had 3 stage wins so made a killing. This year, once again, the Aussie Champs will provide some key insights into who's in form but the stage wins should go Greipel's way again, at least early doors.
wheelie1977
Junior Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 02 Jan 2013 11:44
Location: Ireland

02 Jan 2013 11:54

auscyclefan94 wrote:Them winning the overall was a walkover, something that I hope is not repeated.

Winning the overall by 0 seconds is a walkover? :confused:
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,238
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

02 Jan 2013 11:58

theyoungest wrote:How was it a walkover? Valverde was the strongest, he only lost the race because Gerrans snuck in before him on that Stirling finish.


maltiv wrote:Winning the overall by 0 seconds is a walkover? :confused:


My comment was a bit hyperbolic. I think I was more so referring to the general Summer in Australia, where GreenEdge did quite well.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

02 Jan 2013 12:17

Hard to make a case for most of the Europeans coming out for an overall win unless they trained through from the end of the 2012 season. The Astana boys look solid though....
wheelie1977
Junior Member
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 02 Jan 2013 11:44
Location: Ireland

02 Jan 2013 12:50

wheelie1977 wrote:Hard to make a case for most of the Europeans coming out for an overall win unless they trained through from the end of the 2012 season. The Astana boys look solid though....

But apart from Gerrans, which Aussie stands a chance? Matt Lloyd?
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arredondo, BigMac, Carols, Elminutobueno, Fernandez, Google Adsense [Bot], ILovecycling, IndianCyclist, Jack_89, jens_attacks, jflemaire, lemon cheese cake, OlavEH, rghysens, rick james, sulgpallur, The Tristero, TourOfSardinia, Velolover2 and 78 guests

Back to top