Register

Less well known cycling records or facts

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

04 Jan 2013 20:14

Or alternatively, it just covered the whole country. The Giro, Tour and Vuelta never cover all of the terrain the countries have to offer.

Here's a map of the 2009 Volta a Portugal, over 11 stages as the race is these days:

Especially bearing in mind that due to August's 40º heat in large parts of the country and some shorter stages due to the less élite péloton and the endurance factor of the heat, you can quite easily see how they could add 8 stages to that. Especially bearing in mind that the Volta ao Algarve is 5 stages!
User avatar Libertine Seguros

04 Jan 2013 22:29

There are two videos for stage 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xix7-g05NSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdEov26-Ec

Would be so great to see the whole race coverage. :D
User avatar Lupetto

05 Jan 2013 16:40

Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week. Phil did it in 2011 while Virenque did it in 1992.

Tom Boonen is the only cyclist in the world to have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey while being defending champion of the race.

Other cyclists who have won the Ronde van Vlaanderen in the rainbow jersey are Louison Bobet, Rik van Looy(comes up a lot in these kind of record lists of classics) and Eddy Merckx(1975).
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

06 Jan 2013 15:47

I was banned because I said that this thread Bore de France uber alles. + a little about the two sisters: Bore d'Italia and Bore a España. I stand by it and don't regret at all.

The rest, never heard of? :rolleyes:

Why have you registered on this website if you dont like cycling?

This elitism is sickening. There are hundreds of races in the calendar, there have been hundreds and hundreds of races in more than a century of cycle racing and all you're interested in is Bore de France ???

The greatness of this sport is its DIVERSITY and the quantity of events it has.

ASO is almighty and dozens of races are disappearing every year due to financial problems. Because of whom?

With such cycling fans, I'm sometimes wondering if cycling does not get what it deserves.

Sadly,

Echoes
Echoes

06 Jan 2013 16:20

Freedom of speech, blowin in the wind?

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

I MUST say it. And let me do it.

It's sad and disgusting to read that.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.
Echoes

06 Jan 2013 16:26

Echoes wrote:Freedom of speech, blowin in the wind?

For the third time, I'm trying to express my stupefaction at the fact that 90% oof the posts on this thread are about Bore de France (or Giro or Vuelta) and nothing about the other races that build up this sport.

There are so many great events in this sport and can't even see the beauty of it.

Distressing.

Well, part of the reason is surely that it's much easier to find information about and statistics from Tour de France.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet

06 Jan 2013 16:46

Echoes wrote:Freedom of speech, blowin in the wind?

Distressing.

How about putting some stats about classics instead of whining nonstop?

Maybe you can help a few people to enjoy classics instead of GT's
burning

06 Jan 2013 16:48

Frank Vandenbroucke has won only one single UCI race in the 2000s. Between his second-to-last and last UCI wins were nine years, six months and nine days.

26.9.1999 stage 19, Vuelta a Espana
4.4.2009 stage 2a, Boucle de l'Artois
User avatar Bye Bye Bicycle

06 Jan 2013 17:00

echoes all you have been doing is whining and calling(almost insulting) every1 lesser cycling fans because their favourite race isn't a 1.2 semi amateur one day race.

i dare say the tour is far from the favourite race of most people on this forum (it certainly is my case) but i won't deny it's existence and discuss the results of the Gooikse Pijl over some sense of superior hipster cycling knowledge.

also you have been warned and banned multiple times before for derailing threads (like you are doing with this one) with your endless dismissing of the tour de france(and other top races) and everyone that dares to discuss them so instead of complaining about lack of freedom of speech maybe you should think before posting or insulting other posters.

either way on this thread you can either post lesser know facts of the races you like (like all the other people have been doing) or keep up like now and get banned again for a longer period of time.

if you want to discuss why the tour, giro, vuelta and the monuments are boring and the Meiprijs - Ereprijs Victor De Bruyne is awesome then go ahead and create a new thread for it.
User avatar Parrulo

06 Jan 2013 17:07

El Pistolero wrote:Philippe Gilbert and Richard Virenque are the only cyclists in the history of the sport to have worn all 3 leader jerseys on the same day in the Tour de France during the first week..

Merckx never did that? :eek:
User avatar Miburo

06 Jan 2013 18:30

Bobet and Merckx are the only riders to have won both the Tour de France and the Tour of Flanders.
Boonen is the only rider to have achieved the Tour of Flanders/Paris-Roubaix double twice.
Every year Boonen won the Tour of Flanders, he also won the GP E3.
Ballan is the last world champion on home soil (road race).
User avatar EvansIsTheBest

07 Jan 2013 15:16

Yeah I see it's always the same trick. If I'm saing we should have a more global view on the sport and drop the blinkers that are focused on Bore de France, then you would single out one very little race and ask if it isn't normal that nobody talk about it. And then it's legit that Bore de France should get all the attention.

Predictable.

(By the way, Hoboken May 1 is a prestigious race with a long history)

(Ban me anytime you like, Parrulo, I don't mind. All I wish is that you stop deleting my posts. That's nastier. And Orwellian. I don't like that)

I have of course plenty of anecdotes and records I could bring on this thread but I'm not sure anybody will be interested and I don't want to waste my time and anyway I'm disgusted.
Echoes

07 Jan 2013 17:57

Echoes wrote:I have of course plenty of anecdotes and records I could bring on this thread but I'm not sure anybody will be interested and I don't want to waste my time and anyway I'm disgusted.

I'm interested in anecdotes and records, so there you go. Start posting them.
skidmark

07 Jan 2013 19:40

Michel Koch (Cannondale) and Nikias Arndt (Argos-Shimano) are the first riders born in a unified Germany to ride at the World Tour level.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

07 Jan 2013 22:07

EvansIsTheBest wrote:Ballan is the last world champion on home soil (road race).

User avatar GPdesAmeriques

07 Jan 2013 22:10

Courtesy of the Inner Ring:

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/288310818209140737

Pointless fact for the day: there are only 4 pros from Slovakia and they're two sets of brothers: the Sagan brothers and the Velits twins
User avatar GPdesAmeriques

07 Jan 2013 22:49

GPdesAmeriques wrote:Image

Guess next time I'll make sure to precise that I was talking about men only (it was obvious for me as I don't follow women cycling but I can see how it might not be for others) :o
User avatar EvansIsTheBest

08 Jan 2013 02:10

Echoes wrote:
I have of course plenty of anecdotes and records I could bring on this thread but I'm not sure anybody will be interested and I don't want to waste my time and anyway I'm disgusted.

Im interested if they are about the Tour.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

08 Jan 2013 16:01

Chris Hoy's debut for GB in the World Cup was in the Team Pursuit.
Wallace and Gromit

08 Jan 2013 18:07

The Hitch wrote:Im interested if they are about the Tour.

Good one ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing