Log in:  

Register

New stage race in Dubai from 2014

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

05 Jan 2013 15:15

theyoungest wrote:It's unfortunate that the countries where there is actually some money to be invested in cycling have the most boring landscape ;)

(or incredible pollution)


I wonder why the Kazakhs aren't planning to have a race. They do have the money and terrain.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,404
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

05 Jan 2013 15:29

the asian wrote:I wonder why the Kazakhs aren't planning to have a race. They do have the money and terrain.


Bad roads outside of the wonderful city of Astana:rolleyes::D I think.
Alberto Contador fanboy
Vamos Colombia!
Ryo Hazuki in August 2013 wrote:what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,942
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

05 Jan 2013 15:34

Bernie's eyesore wrote:Sounds interesting. Maybe in the long term this race could merge with Qatar and Oman to form a fourth Grand Tour.


Lol, Cav the GT champ
Red Rick
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,685
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: The Netherlands

05 Jan 2013 15:44

ILovecycling wrote:Bad roads outside of the wonderful city of Astana:rolleyes::D I think.


Astana would be an awful host. Very poor terrain there for racing.

Almaty, on the other hand...
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,873
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

05 Jan 2013 15:47

Well, Qatar isn't a boring race and Oman is never shown live here.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 15:48

ILovecycling wrote:Bad roads outside of the wonderful city of Astana:rolleyes::D I think.


yea infrastructure is a problem in many old Soviet states
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
User avatar Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,447
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

05 Jan 2013 15:55

Almaty, however, would be comparatively fine owing to the injection of money for the hosting of the Asian Winter Games. They've got some state of the art arenas up in the mountains and good roads leading up to them.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,873
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

05 Jan 2013 16:02

El Pistolero wrote:Well, Qatar isn't a boring race and Oman is never shown live here.


Qatar is a highly predictable race. Only the wind can create a bit of havoc. Boring roads in dull surroundings.

Oman offers better terrain, but TV production needs to be improved.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,993
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

05 Jan 2013 16:17

Dazed and Confused wrote:Qatar is a highly predictable race. Only the wind can create a bit of havoc. Boring roads in dull surroundings.

Oman offers better terrain, but TV production needs to be improved.


Tell me a stage race that isn't predictable lol.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 16:18

Dazed and Confused wrote:Qatar is a highly predictable race. Only the wind can create a bit of havoc. Boring roads in dull surroundings.

Oman offers better terrain, but TV production needs to be improved.

Come on, you know why El Pisti doesn't think Qatar is a boring race... One echelon stage is more than enough. A week of them is just boring.

Oman is indeed the one that should be shown live, however due to censure it won't happen.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

05 Jan 2013 16:19

theyoungest wrote:Come on, you know why El Pisti doesn't think Qatar is a boring race...

Oman is indeed the one that should be shown live, however due to censure it won't happen.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc

Because Boonen beat some horrible Dutch rider?

You're so right. ;)

Yeah, I prefer watching Qatar over the horrible stage race that Paris-Nice has become.

Oman live? Reading the race reports are boring enough already.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 16:48

Red Rick wrote:Lol, Cav the GT champ


Hell, I think ASO could outsource the road job for TdF and move 20 stages to the middle east, ending the show with a super sprint on Champs-Elysees.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,993
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

05 Jan 2013 16:55

El Pistolero wrote:Tell me a stage race that isn't predictable lol.


well, we wouldn't want to try change that. 6 more flat stages.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,993
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

05 Jan 2013 16:59

Dazed and Confused wrote:well, we wouldn't want to try change that. 6 more flat stages.


As opposed to 11 uphill finishes in the Vuelta?

I'd rather watch some echelon racing then thank you very much. :)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 17:06

El Pistolero wrote:As opposed to 11 uphill finishes in the Vuelta?

I'd rather watch some echelon racing then thank you very much. :)


ah yes black or white.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,993
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

05 Jan 2013 17:08

El Pistolero wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_5Q8sQumrc

Because Boonen beat some horrible Dutch rider?

You're so right. ;)

Here we go again with the Dutch obsession. I can't bother to watch, probably Tom Veelers or something?

Who was the no-name Dutch rider who won there a few years ago? That guy from Vacansoleil. Says enough about the value or importance of this race. Heck, Mark Renshaw won it.

Yeah, I prefer watching Qatar over the horrible stage race that Paris-Nice has become.

Lol, you clearly don't enjoy cycling. Paris-Nice has echelons as well, plus climbs, sprints, TTs, rain, sun, breakaway stages... all in one race.

Oman live? Reading the race reports are boring enough already.

Oman is just a more entertaining race than Qatar, purely because of the undulations in the course. A bit more variation.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

05 Jan 2013 17:27

theyoungest wrote:Here we go again with the Dutch obsession. I can't bother to watch, probably Tom Veelers or something?


Hilarious, you come in here saying I only like this race because a Belgian wins and you call me obsessed. You have some Calimero issues to get over.

Who was the no-name Dutch rider who won there a few years ago? That guy from Vacansoleil. Says enough about the value or importance of this race. Heck, Mark Renshaw won it.


Yeah, from a breakaway. Oscar Pereiro won the Tour de France thanks to a breakaway. Does it also say enough about the value or importance of this race? Or only when it suits your argument? So what if Renshaw won it? Oliver Zaugg won Lombardia, Iglinsky won LBL, Nick Nuyens/Devolder won the Ronde, Nibali won the Vuelta(against Peter Velits of all people).

Lol, you clearly don't enjoy cycling. Paris-Nice has echelons as well, plus climbs, sprints, TTs, rain, sun, breakaway stages... all in one race.


I thought you just said I only liked Qatar because a Belgian won it? Now you're claiming I don't appreciate Paris-Nice even though a Belgian won the echelon stage(and the breakaway stage for that matter).

News fact for you, the last 2 editions of Paris-Nice have been boring. Dull course decided 90% in the time trial. Uphill climb in Mende was about the only decent thing this year's edition had. And it was won by a nobody à la Mark Renshaw. ;)

The echelon stage was probably great to watch, especially because Boonen originally missed the right echelon and had to race back à la Cipollini in G-W, but it all happened before the live broadcast. ;)

Oman is just a more entertaining race than Qatar, purely because of the undulations in the course. A bit more variation.


Yeah, that's why all stages end in a sprint except Green Mountain.

Something else you'd like to add? I wonder why you're defending the Tour of Oman, but I think everyone knows why.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 17:42

El Pistolero wrote:Hilarious, you come in here saying I only like this race because a Belgian wins and you call me obsessed. You have some Calimero issues to get over.

The fact is: I don't think this race is boring because Boonen tends to win it, I think it's boring because I like echelons but not six stages in a row or whatever. Whereas you love it because Boonen wins. Don't deny it, imagine if Cancellara won that race every year in the same way. You'd love it :o

Yeah, from a breakaway. Oscar Pereiro won the Tour de France thanks to a breakaway. Does it also say enough about the value or importance of this race? Or only when it suits your argument? So what if Renshaw won it? Oliver Zaugg won Lombardia, Iglinsky won LBL, Nick Nuyens/Devolder won the Ronde, Nibali won the Vuelta(against Peter Velits of all people).

You really don't get it, do you? You think everyone is a chauvinist like you are, that's why I give you the example of a Dutchman who won it, and how little I care about that. I can't even remember the guy's name. I also don't care how he won it, the fact is he did.

I thought you just said I only liked Qatar because a Belgian won it? Now you're claiming I don't appreciate Paris-Nice even though a Belgian won the echelon stage(and the breakaway stage for that matter)

Question: what was better about Qatar vs. that echelon stage in Paris-Nice? Apart from the fact that in Paris-Nice it was the only echelon stage.

News fact for you, the last 2 editions of Paris-Nice have been boring. Dull course decided 90% in the time trial. Uphill climb in Mende was about the only decent thing this year's edition had. And it was won by a nobody à la Mark Renshaw. ;)

Lol, talk about a Calimero complex. That was a good stage, indeed won by a surprising winner. Unlike 90% of the stages in Qatar.

The echelon stage was probably great to watch, especially because Boonen originally missed the right echelon and had to race back à la Cipollini in G-W, but it all happened before the live broadcast. ;)

It was great because of Boonen? Well that's a surprise...

Yeah, that's why all stages end in a sprint except Green Mountain.

They do, but the way the sprints are reached is a bit more varied than echelons-more echelons-sprint-Boonen wins.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

05 Jan 2013 17:45

Tour of Oman is 5 bunch sprints(some more selective than others, but still bunch sprints) and one "mountain" stage.

You smell of chauvinism yet you're too ashamed to admit it. Love it. You know cheering for your own countrymen isn't a terrible disease you know. You're not really insulting me when calling me chauvinistic. I'm glad I'm born here instead of some poor country. ;)

I like good racing, whether that's on a flat stage or a mountain stage, I don't care.

At the Tour of Oman nothing happens except one stage. You're only defending this race because Gesink won it, get over yourself.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

05 Jan 2013 17:54

Sigh... discussion is pointless. Yes, I love Oman because Gesink won it.

Anyway, unlike you I hope the Tour of Dubai won't be only flat echelon stages.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], movingtarget, Sciocco, TourOfTexas, Velolover2 and 21 guests

Back to top