Register

Cycling Commentators/Experts Frustations

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

06 Jan 2013 11:21

Buffalo Soldier wrote:Was 5th(/4th) in the 2010 tour too.

But to stay on topic: In general I'm rather pleased with the Sporza commentators. They tend to be a bit too patriotic sometimes, but I guess most of the Belgian viewers prefer to hear about the Belgian riders.

When there's no Sporza coverage (which luckily is almost never) for races I want to see, I sometimes watch Dutch Eurosport. I can honestly say I was shocked the first time I listened to those noobs. (tbh: last time I watched, it was rather good though...)

The Eurosport NL/VL commentators aren't that bad. They know quite a lot, but their problem is they're boring as hell most of the time.
User avatar Pentacycle

06 Jan 2013 11:25

Pentacycle wrote:The Eurosport NL/VL commentators aren't that bad. They know quite a lot, but their problem is they're boring as hell most of the time.

Their stupid prize contests are also very irritating.
User avatar GP Blanco

06 Jan 2013 11:35

GP Blanco wrote:A drunk Mart Smeets during Paris-Nice 2011.

To be fair, Paris-Nice 2011 could well have caused anybody other than Bavarianrider or blood relatives of Tony Martin and Andreas Klöden to turn to drink.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

06 Jan 2013 11:38

Libertine Seguros wrote:To be fair, Paris-Nice 2011 could well have caused anybody other than Bavarianrider or blood relatives of Tony Martin and Andreas Klöden to turn to drink.

You're right but you should be sober when you are working.
User avatar GP Blanco

06 Jan 2013 11:41

GP Blanco wrote:You're right but you should be sober when you are working.

Was Jean Nelissen ever sober?
theyoungest

06 Jan 2013 11:42

I remember that L. Van Impe said in 2009 that Cancellara could win the tour :o
User avatar Miburo

06 Jan 2013 11:44

theyoungest wrote:Was Jean Nelissen ever sober?

But he is on top of the Olympus. Zeus could get away with rape and kidnapping, Jean with drinking.
User avatar GP Blanco

06 Jan 2013 11:46

Miburo wrote:I remember that L. Van Impe said in 2009 that Cancellara could win the tour :o

There was serious discussion going on about that back then. Lose a few kilos and he should be good to go. After all, he won the amazingly hard Tour de Suisse.
theyoungest

06 Jan 2013 11:53

theyoungest wrote:There was serious discussion going on about that back then. Lose a few kilos and he should be good to go. After all, he won the amazingly hard Tour de Suisse.

The amazingly hard Tour de Suisse that had the easier side of Serfaus and the easiest side of Crans-Montana as summit finishes along with a longish ITT?

At the same time, with the route of the 2009 Tour it wouldn't have been too surprising. I think Sean Kelly also had a chaque Cancellara might have done a good GC that year.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

06 Jan 2013 11:55

The Hitch wrote:Anthony Tan is so sickening people on this forum generally slam anyone who even brings him up. And i apologize in advance.

He presents ozzie tdf coverage with some other bonehead

I remember 1 comment was that Cadel Evans would comfortably put 4 minutes into Samuel Sanchez in the 2011 tt. I mean natiohnal cycling expert, you cant make this stuff up.

glackar is wiggins ghost writer (well 1 of them) . Lots of the stupdity he comes up with is clinic (eg the only reason British riders werent winning the Tour de France in the 90's and 2000's was because British riders dont take drugs like everyone else).

But since this the road section, his rabobank folding article was memorable. He wrote that they won x ammount of tdf stages " the last of which came when Luis Leon Sanchez won into Saint-Flour in 2011". - apologies if you banged your head against your desk like i did.

He also said before the Vuelta that Froome has to win the Vuelta in order to have any claim at leading the Tour in 2013.
So in other words beat Froome when he is under orders not beat you>>>>> beat Contador on a mountain fest, while off form because you just spend your season peak domestiquing for someone at the Tour :rolleyes::rolleyes::

The trouble with Tan is he is not suited to television and every single comment sounds like it could have been said by anyone else. For a guy who has been around the sport for quite a while you would think he had something interesting to to say sometimes but often it's made worse by the stupid questions he is asked.
movingtarget

06 Jan 2013 11:55

The Hitch wrote:So he is predicting that about 10 gc riders crash out.

ANyway that is nothing compared to the notorious mindblowing stupidity of people like anthony tan and brendan gallackar.

How were you able to listen to him if he was on SBS?

I do agree that the guy is seriously frustrating. Another one of his great comments was stating that the reason the Schlecks did not win the 2011 Tour de France was because they were not "malleable enough". I was crying with laughter after that comment.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94

06 Jan 2013 12:00

Libertine Seguros wrote:The amazingly hard Tour de Suisse that had the easier side of Serfaus and the easiest side of Crans-Montana as summit finishes along with a longish ITT?

At the same time, with the route of the 2009 Tour it wouldn't have been too surprising. I think Sean Kelly also had a chaque Cancellara might have done a good GC that year.

You're quite bad at picking up sarcasm, I must say.
theyoungest

06 Jan 2013 12:21

Phil Liggett was the worst for always talking about Armstrong....which should hopefully stop now. But here is a classic case of Phil pumping Armstrong and bagging out others, in this case Contador. It was taken from the stage 3 pre-race Versus show from the 2010 Tour de France, where they talk about the riders and how they'll go on the cobble stage. I edited it into a nice little video for everyone

Click here
The computer is smarter than me Bjarne, I no need to understand computer it need understand me - Carlos Sastre in Overcoming
RIP - Swordsman
RIP - Craig1985

Wallace wrote:In Lance's prime, you could take all the drugs you wanted, whenever you wanted. Ah, those were the days... If you put Contador on the program Lance was on in his prime, it would be like watching a bicycle duct-taped to the space shuttle go up the alps. You have to factor all that in when figuring out which one is the most talented
User avatar El Imbatido

06 Jan 2013 12:45

when Museeuw said that thomas DG is a potential Ronde van Vlaanderen winner, after he won the stage to serfaus in 2011 :o :o
User avatar Flamin

06 Jan 2013 12:55

Red Rick wrote:"They're gonna ride to Mordor"

Ducrot when the peleton ascends Port de Bales when the weather is bad

http://nl.wikiquote.org/wiki/Maarten_Ducrot

wtf, a whole wiki page full of quotes of the guy? :D
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

06 Jan 2013 12:59

Flamin wrote:when Museeuw said that thomas DG is a potential Ronde van Vlaanderen winner, after he won the stage to serfaus in 2011 :o :o

He could, if he focused on that.
User avatar Buffalo Soldier

06 Jan 2013 13:01

Flamin wrote:when Museeuw said that thomas DG is a potential Ronde van Vlaanderen winner, after he won the stage to serfaus in 2011 :o :o

Was that when he beat renowned RvV contender Andy Schleck?
Ferminal

06 Jan 2013 13:13

Buffalo Soldier wrote:wtf, a whole wiki page full of quotes of the guy? :D

This one is hilarious:
"Deze kasseien zijn strakker gelegd dan verderop, daar heeft Napoleon ze nog zelf gelegd. Zó vanuit een helikopter!!"
(These cobblestones are much better placed than the ones further up the road. There, Napoleon himself placed the cobblestones. Throwing them out of the helicopter.)
janraaskalt

06 Jan 2013 13:19

janraaskalt wrote:This one is hilarious:
"Deze kasseien zijn strakker gelegd dan verderop, daar heeft Napoleon ze nog zelf gelegd. Zó vanuit een helikopter!!"
(These cobblestones are much better placed than the ones further up the road. There, Napoleon himself placed the cobblestones. Throwing them out of the helicopter.)

Ducrot is cool. He's just very annoying next to Herbert Dijkstra (i.e. always).
theyoungest

06 Jan 2013 13:45

Buffalo Soldier wrote:He could, if he focused on that.

definitely not, as he can't ride for sh*t in the peloton and simply doesn't like it at all either. these are his own words...

Ferminal wrote:Was that when he beat renowned RvV contender Andy Schleck?

yes :cool:
User avatar Flamin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing