Log in:  

Register

Most overambitious rider?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

08 Jan 2013 16:16

airstream wrote:Rujano, Pozzato

They both strike me as tragically unambitious.
User avatar hrotha
Senior Member
 
Posts: 13,091
Joined: 10 Jun 2010 20:45

08 Jan 2013 16:38

Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.
User avatar Magnus
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,237
Joined: 08 Apr 2010 17:47
Location: Denmark

08 Jan 2013 16:40

Kash. (Dont know if hes down to earth now)
Purito. (TDF)

I am not including Fuglsang on the list because i agree with Magnus.
Vinokourov, Kashechkin, Lutsenko, Ricco and Aru fan, and i am proud of it!
User avatar markene2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: 07 Jan 2010 20:34

08 Jan 2013 17:03

Netserk wrote:I know Hushovd talks about winning P-R, but I have yet to see him try... For me he is the impersonation of riding for 2nd place :mad:

I guess I just don't like him (in fact I hate him) :mad:



Danes always have a morbide big-brother complex towards norwegians when it gets to sports they consider to be their own domene - soccer and cycling.

They will always be much better in the former, but the fact is that right now the norwegians OWN them on the road. Boy, they hate it when the "mountain-apes" win big races when their own useless slobs stinks at everything. And there seems to be no relief in sight ...

Now we just need Rolf Sörensen to admit 15 years of forbidden chemicals, and then everything the oath farmers ever achieved on the road is proved to be fraud.
velosiped
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 19:40

08 Jan 2013 17:14

markene2 wrote:Kash. (Dont know if hes down to earth now)
Purito. (TDF)

I am not including Fuglsang on the list because i agree with Magnus.


Traitor :mad:

:p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,457
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

08 Jan 2013 17:34

Magnus wrote:Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.

Yeah, I agree. If anything he's probably actually unambitious, though I'd say he's quite realistic in his ambitions.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:contador is such a coward :o
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,855
Joined: 09 May 2010 08:08

08 Jan 2013 17:40

Magnus wrote:Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.


Fuglsang climbed at a good level in that Dauphine, but hasn't been able to replicate that. His TT has improved to the detriment of his climbing. That's how he got those results in the Tour of Switzerland, by relying on his TT. It helps that that race doesn't have grueling mountain stages.

He was sort of consistent in the Vuelta, but other than that... he didn'tt impress in the mountain stages, let's put it that way.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

08 Jan 2013 17:57

El Pistolero wrote:Well, he's been second and third already and he actually didn't wheelsuck all the time in Roubaix 2011 like some people are claiming. Plus he had a team-mate up front.

If he didn't have a team-mate up front he would've ridden away with Ballan and Cancellara. Cancellara wouldn't be able to surprise attack them in a small group like that, so Hushovd would've had a great shot at winning Roubaix there.

Might add that he also attacked in 2009 just before Flecha etc fell. Obviously he was passed by Boonen and crashed right afterwards though (either because he was exhausted or just being a retard), but can't blame him for not trying at least.

I also find it weird that Netserk both says that Hushovd is overambitious at the same time as he says Hushovd never has tried to win P-R. Since he obviously thinks that it's "overambitious" for Hushovd to aim for winning P-R, then obviously riding for second would be the right tactic, no? :p
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,253
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

08 Jan 2013 17:59

velosiped wrote:Danes always have a morbide big-brother complex towards norwegians when it gets to sports they consider to be their own domene - soccer and cycling.

They will always be much better in the former, but the fact is that right now the norwegians OWN them on the road. Boy, they hate it when the "mountain-apes" win big races when their own useless slobs stinks at everything. And there seems to be no relief in sight ...

Now we just need Rolf Sörensen to admit 15 years of forbidden chemicals, and then everything the oath farmers ever achieved on the road is proved to be fraud.


Lol wut:confused:

It has *nothing* to do with him being Norwegian and me being Dane. In cobble races I cheer for Boonen (and have done so since I started watching them) even though he was the rival of Canc and CSC/Saxo. Likewise I also hate Fuglsang, and the only Danish rider I like is CAS, but that's only because he makes a funny face when racing. In the same way I like EBH as a stage hunter or in light hilly races.

And about football I could care any less. BOTH the Danish team as well as the Norwegian is total sh!t and play ugly.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,711
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

08 Jan 2013 18:01

maltiv wrote:Might add that he also attacked in 2009 just before Flecha etc fell. Obviously he was passed by Boonen and crashed right afterwards though (either because he was exhausted or just being a retard), but can't blame him for not trying at least.

I also find it weird that Netserk both says that Hushovd is overambitious at the same time as he says Hushovd never has tried to win P-R. Since he obviously thinks that it's "overambitious" for Hushovd to aim for winning P-R, then obviously riding for second would be the right tactic, no? :p

Overambitious for being (sole)captain as long as he still has a loser's attitude ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,711
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

08 Jan 2013 18:04

Hushovd won the green jersey in 2009 against Cav by riding superbly and even got in the breakaway to seal it. He generally rides well in the Tour. It's only at PR that he comes in for criticism, but IMO it's a bit unfair.
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,404
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

08 Jan 2013 18:26

/mod mode on

velosiped's post has been deleted and the user has been warned for his insulting post towards a member and his country

/mod mode off


only sticking his nose at the front for 50 meters on the velodrome to outsprint flecha didn't do hushovd any favours and i am not even going into the whole let's follow boonen until he is exhausted part because every other loser did it that year

i still think he will never win roubaix tho and that he is a bit overrated there. also i don't particularly like him but i do admire the way he changed his riding style after his speed dropped.

also waterloo why do fans hyping machado makes the him overambitious? if anything, according to his last interviews, his only ambition is riding a GT without any crashes or illness to see how far he can go so that's the opposite of being overambitious
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,172
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

08 Jan 2013 18:31

Sergio Henao said he would like to win Paris Roubaix. However i dont think he ever suggested that he thought it a possibility, just that it would be his dream win.

One of his fans on here though thinks it is possible ;)
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,268
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

08 Jan 2013 18:35

The Hitch wrote:Sergio Henao said he would like to win Paris Roubaix. However i dont think he ever suggested that he thought it a possibility, just that it would be his dream win.

One of his fans on here though thinks it is possible ;)

Yes... if it were a pure climber from, say, the Netherlands who had said it, this particular fan would be ROFLOL'ing us to death.
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

08 Jan 2013 18:53

theyoungest wrote:Yes... if it were a pure climber from, say, the Netherlands who had said it, this particular fan would be ROFLOL'ing us to death.

would be hilarious to see a PR without the cobble specialists but with only gc riders at the start.

PR, the battle between Contador, Henao, Evans, Hesjedal, Wiggins, A Schleck etc etc
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,300
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

08 Jan 2013 18:56

Intxausti was 7th in the Giro with about four days left but was ill. I think he'd have dropped out of the top 10 on Pampeago and Stelvio stages anyway, but not by as much as he did. He finished in the top 10 of the Vuelta, and when you bear in mind he lost nearly 4 minutes when he was sacrificed from the front group for Valverde on Valdezcaray he could have been among the bigger names there. I'm sure with the benefit of hindsight they may have preferred to leave him in the front group and have had Cobo do the pacing job for Valverde, but you simply don't call a defending GT winner back to assist a teammate on stage 4 of a GT he's still seemingly very much in contention for. It's just not on.

The problem with these is differentiating the most overambitious riders from the riders with the most overambitious expectations of them. Until last year I'd have said Simon Gerrans, owing to his tendency to give up on the race smarts that had won him some big victories in his Crédit Agricole and Cervélo days to instead back himself in the uphill sprint against the likes of Purito and Gilbert and finish in about 7th, but he seems to have rediscovered the knack of actually winning things. A lot of the people who came into the sport with seemingly vastly inflated expectations (either on their own part or those of their fans) appear to have readjusted in line with reality now - Devolder, Gerdemann, Machado, Karpets, Löfkvist and so on.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,880
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

08 Jan 2013 19:02

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:I thought this would be easy when i learned that Fuglsang would be aiming for a top-10 in this year's TDF, but then Intxausti announced that he would target a top-3 at the Giro. Course, I'd still pick Fuglsang as the most overambitious between the two of them. :D
Fuglsang by far. Can't think of anyone else who fits the bill.
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,467
Joined: 20 May 2009 00:52
Location: Montreal, Canada

08 Jan 2013 19:18

Rob Ruijgh when he stated last year that he would aim for a podium at the AGR. Of course you are free to aim but one needs more than a big mouth.
User avatar GP Blanco
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 26 Dec 2012 11:34
Location: Bottom of a lake which used to be a sea

08 Jan 2013 19:33

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:would be hilarious to see a PR without the cobble specialists but with only gc riders at the start.

PR, the battle between Contador, Henao, Evans, Hesjedal, Wiggins, A Schleck etc etc


The lack of cobbled stages at the tdf ranks among aso's greatest crimes.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 26,268
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

08 Jan 2013 19:41

The Hitch wrote:The lack of cobbled stages at the tdf ranks among aso's greatest crimes.


Of course the one time they did add them we still have to hear how Cadel Evans and other GT riders could win the Ronde van Vlaanderen or Paris-Roubaix if they rode them.

Because you know, crashing after 500 meters of easy cobbles which eliminated 95% of the peloton is a total indication of how well you ride over cobbles.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gregghoush, Jalgratas95, kingoftheoverpasses, motty89, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests

Back to top