Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
35%
Nibali
36%
Gesink
7%
Hesjedal
7%
Sanchez
3%
Basso/Scarponi
2%
Rujano
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
2%
A Colombian
3%
Other/Garzelli
4%

Total votes : 388

11 Jan 2013 13:11

Ryo Hazuki wrote:he didn't crash, his teammate jackson crashed and was behind that during the downhil of thet sterrato climb(little behind pozzovivo). jackson couldn't come back and rujano without teammates lost 5 minutes in the part to the finish

my bad then
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

11 Jan 2013 13:12

Eshnar wrote:my bad then

the only time I remember him crashing(injured) was in agr 2006 with unibet. he broke his shoulder I think and it was end of the season. but it was beyond ridiculous to let him start agr anyway
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

12 Jan 2013 09:33

C. Meyer is going.

Nice TTT squad shaping up there.
Ferminal

12 Jan 2013 12:40

Ferminal wrote:C. Meyer is going.

Nice TTT squad shaping up there.

It would be very surprising if Greenedge would not send a decent TTT squad considering their roster.
User avatar GP Blanco

13 Jan 2013 01:20

GP Blanco wrote:It would be very surprising if Greenedge would not send a decent TTT squad considering their roster.

Gossy was on that promo vid talking about how special the giro is so id guess he'll go.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

13 Jan 2013 09:14

Hoogerland is going.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

13 Jan 2013 14:50

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Hoogerland is going.

For what? No way he'll be able to fight for the maglia azzuro with guys like Garzelli, Rabottini, Chaves/Atapuma/Duarte around.

And a stage win? Well yeah maybe if he's lucky ...
User avatar staubsauger

13 Jan 2013 15:15

staubsauger wrote:For what? No way he'll be able to fight for the maglia azzuro with guys like Garzelli, Rabottini, Chaves/Atapuma/Duarte around.

And a stage win? Well yeah maybe if he's lucky ...

User avatar Ryo Hazuki

13 Jan 2013 15:18

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-nibali-and-fuglsang-time-trial-testing-with-specialized

be afraid wiggins. . . . be very afraid, nibali working on his time trial position.

apparently his old position was neither all that aero nor was it allowing him to use his most powerful muscles. . .

sounds too bad to be true imo and must be the typical specialized propaganda :o
User avatar Parrulo

13 Jan 2013 15:24

or marginal gains.
User avatar meat puppet

13 Jan 2013 16:41

Parrulo wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-nibali-and-fuglsang-time-trial-testing-with-specialized

be afraid wiggins. . . . be very afraid, nibali working on his time trial position.

apparently his old position was neither all that aero nor was it allowing him to use his most powerful muscles. . .

Nibbles will top-5 the ITT ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

13 Jan 2013 16:45

5th place in the Tour was 2:25 back on a shorter ride, so he better hope he's top 5.
Waterloo Sunrise

13 Jan 2013 17:02

Parrulo wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-nibali-and-fuglsang-time-trial-testing-with-specialized

I remember a similar clip from Kreuziger. He's been crushing time trials ever since :o
theyoungest

13 Jan 2013 19:10

theyoungest wrote:I remember a similar clip from Kreuziger. He's been crushing time trials ever since :o

kreuziguer be no squalo :cool:
User avatar Parrulo

13 Jan 2013 19:26

All the talk about Wiggins winning the Tour because of his TT ability, yet Nibali took zero time on him in the mountains. If Wiggins is in similar shape it will be tough for Nibali, although I think it will be a lot closer. Should be interesting.
User avatar Poursuivant

13 Jan 2013 19:35

Poursuivant wrote:All the talk about Wiggins winning the Tour because of his TT ability, yet Nibali took zero time on him in the mountains. If Wiggins is in similar shape it will be tough for Nibali, although I think it will be a lot closer. Should be interesting.

Differences :

- No Froome to close the gap when Nibs attacks and Wiggins's is all by himself when all teammates disperse. That of course depends how strong Henao will be ( should be his last helper ).

- Usually more steep mountains / hills not suited to Wiggo. He can do a lot to improve that trough riding lots of camps in Italy and races like Trentino or Tirreno though, or at least see how he fares and try to improve.

So yeah, it should be quite excting imo.

Not to forget, Samu, Hesjedal, Basso or Scarponi etc. won't make it easy for those 2 ;)
Gloin22

13 Jan 2013 19:59

Gloin22 wrote:Differences :

- No Froome to close the gap when Nibs attacks and Wiggins's is all by himself when all teammates disperse. That of course depends how strong Henao will be ( should be his last helper ).

- Usually more steep mountains / hills not suited to Wiggo. He can do a lot to improve that trough riding lots of camps in Italy and races like Trentino or Tirreno though, or at least see how he fares and try to improve.

So yeah, it should be quite excting imo.

Not to forget, Samu, Hesjedal, Basso or Scarponi etc. won't make it easy for those 2 ;)

this, people really underestimate how much different it makes to have another rider (and a particularly tall one in froome's case) pacing you back to another rider on the shallow climbs used in the tour. la toussuire being the most obvious case as the % rarely goes over 6% and froome closed most of the gap to the nibali group on the flat/downhill section in the middle of the climb. he only closed about 10 seconds on the 7% part and that put wiggins really on the ropes for a little bit (a very little bit ofc)

also let's not forget that while froome appeared to be cracking wiggins was losing time to the nibali group and if not for froome's nitro boost he would have most likely lost a significant amount of time all the way to the top as he would be solo against a group of 4 decent climbers working together for about 7 kilometers on a very shallow climb.

i am not saying nibali has the advantage for the giro but the fight will certainly be much closer then at the tour as wiggins most likely won't have the best climber in the race working for him and the field appears to be very strong.

just imagine a similar situation with wiggins solo against nibali, hesjedal and sanchez 20 seconds up the road and 7 kilometers of climb left. who do you reckon would win? wiggins or the group?
User avatar Parrulo

13 Jan 2013 20:31

Parrulo wrote:this, people really underestimate how much different it makes to have another rider (and a particularly tall one in froome's case) pacing you back to another rider on the shallow climbs used in the tour. la toussuire being the most obvious case as the % rarely goes over 6% and froome closed most of the gap to the nibali group on the flat/downhill section in the middle of the climb. he only closed about 10 seconds on the 7% part and that put wiggins really on the ropes for a little bit (a very little bit ofc)

also let's not forget that while froome appeared to be cracking wiggins was losing time to the nibali group and if not for froome's nitro boost he would have most likely lost a significant amount of time all the way to the top as he would be solo against a group of 4 decent climbers working together for about 7 kilometers on a very shallow climb.

i am not saying nibali has the advantage for the giro but the fight will certainly be much closer then at the tour as wiggins most likely won't have the best climber in the race working for him and the field appears to be very strong.

just imagine a similar situation with wiggins solo against nibali, hesjedal and sanchez 20 seconds up the road and 7 kilometers of climb left. who do you reckon would win? wiggins or the group?

Like Wiggo said in the Vuelta, if I just ride on the front at 7 w/kg no one will be able to ride away for very long, or whatever it was (a little less probably). It's only on a climb like Zoncolan that this logic doesn't really apply, it's too steep for Wiggo and his very non-climberly climbing style.
theyoungest

13 Jan 2013 20:51

Parrulo wrote:who do you reckon would win? wiggins or the group?

Wiggins would have turned out to be not worse climber than Hesjedal.
User avatar airstream

13 Jan 2013 21:00

Parrulo wrote:this, people really underestimate how much different it makes to have another rider (and a particularly tall one in froome's case) pacing you back to another rider on the shallow climbs used in the tour. la toussuire being the most obvious case as the % rarely goes over 6% and froome closed most of the gap to the nibali group on the flat/downhill section in the middle of the climb. he only closed about 10 seconds on the 7% part and that put wiggins really on the ropes for a little bit (a very little bit ofc)

Its very unlikely that Hejsedal Sanchez and Nibali to all just drop wiggins and fly away into gc podium. Also unlikely that Wiggins would to be left with no helpers if they did.

And if they did I dont see why Nibali would neccesarily win.

Its actually far more likely that the others will be flying away from Nibali and not from Wiggins since Nibali is the gc rider with the most storied history of cracking on mountain stages.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing