Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
35%
Nibali
36%
Gesink
7%
Hesjedal
7%
Sanchez
3%
Basso/Scarponi
2%
Rujano
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
2%
A Colombian
3%
Other/Garzelli
4%

Total votes : 388

14 Jan 2013 20:37

JRanton wrote:Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.

Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.
Gloin22

14 Jan 2013 20:48

Gloin22 wrote:Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.

Those three have experience but what will the communication and tactical input be like on the road? Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).

A certain Australian will be a big miss I think.
JRanton

14 Jan 2013 20:56

What's up with the Basso/Scarponi combination option?
"... because he set an amazing example. He has more courage than anyone I ever rode with and that's why he got respect from his team-mates. A great leader makes you want to go beyond the limits."

Andrea Noè on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
User avatar Altitude

14 Jan 2013 20:59

Altitude wrote:What's up with the Basso/Scarponi combination option?

Experiment of Fuentes gone too far.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

14 Jan 2013 22:17

Ryo Hazuki wrote:why are you bringen colombians up in this? did I? doesn't exactly make your argument any stronger

Isn't it obvious? Because they are seemingly riders you do like. You were berating the fondness people show Nibali on this forum. All I was asking is why would people dislike him? For his snarky comments against Wiggins on the last tour? Because as a cyclists he makes the best of what he has. And according to you he hasn't got much to work with. Whereas the Colombians you are always touting probably don't attack any more often than he does and are generally no where to be seen on downhill sections despite apparently being infinitely more talented. So enlighten me. What should we be looking for in a rider? Ones that resemble a Christmas elf? for the record, I am quite fond of several Colombian riders.
User avatar whittashau

14 Jan 2013 22:19

El Pistolero wrote:Experiment of Fuentes gone too far.

:D that's a good one
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

14 Jan 2013 22:21

Looking forward to seeing what Phinney can do in that ITT.
User avatar Descender

15 Jan 2013 00:08

Eshnar wrote::D that's a good one

Oh I want to vote for that now.
Ferminal

15 Jan 2013 09:21

JRanton wrote: Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).

Ha yeah I think sky could have some language difficulties across their team. Not sure about the english skills of the likes of Lopez, Siutsou, Henao, Uran, Kiri but thats why they're scheduled to ride the same pre-giro stage races and training camps, to build the chemistry and get on the same wave length.
BlenJones2

16 Jan 2013 00:29

JRanton wrote:Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.

Id be very suprised if Sky dont take one of Eisel or Stannard to the Giro. Both have been road captains before and can put in a good shift on the flat.
User avatar Pricey_sky

16 Jan 2013 13:39

why would they need flat riders for upcoming giro. this is not the tour. and they will get knees for that, also because wiggins wants him for his size
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

16 Jan 2013 20:25

The Hitch wrote:He needs to be careful not to have the best rider in the race slave for him?. Because after the way i saw froome ride his guts out for wiggins while wearing the leaders jersey in the vuelta and then at the tour, the term "froomed"can't possibly mean anything else.

Well, he ended up behind Froome in that particular GT, despite having Froome slave for him. Seems for his sake it's a good idea not to have that happen again.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

17 Jan 2013 03:49

Stannard rode very well for Froome at the Vuelta- right before each hill sprint in the first week.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

17 Jan 2013 11:31

I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.
Gloin22

18 Jan 2013 13:42

I think porte will definitely ride the giro. he is very essential for their mountain train. froome doesn't need that so much
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

18 Jan 2013 14:20

Porte prefers riding for Wiggins anyway.
Ferminal

18 Jan 2013 14:50

Gloin22 wrote:I think Stannard is set for Tour debut. Pate and Siutsou training lot of TTT lately with the riders already confirmed like Wiggo, Henao etc . I think they'll be in the squad very much so. No Porte for Giro me thinks. Might be given lead at PN and support Froome.

Porte was always going to do the Giro. He more or less confirmed it a long time ago.

He also said he wanted to go for GC himself (as a dom).
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

18 Jan 2013 15:15

Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

He said he wanted to do Giro. Never said he will ;) There's a difference.
Gloin22

18 Jan 2013 15:28

Gloin22 wrote:Well I don't think so personally. Froome is best friend of Porte ( not that it matters much, but it might a little ) and I think Porte will be given lead in WT stage races plus Tour. We'll see I guess.

He said he wanted to do Giro. Never said he will ;) There's a difference.

It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13336/Porte-ready-for-bigger-personal-opportunity-in-2013-hoping-for-a-secondary-leader-slot-in-Giro.aspx
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

18 Jan 2013 15:31

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:It seems to me like they told him he was probably going to do the Giro.

"What I've been told, if I'm good at the Giro and I think that's where I'll be riding, I'll be having the sort of role that Chris (Froome) had at the Tour - where he was the last guy that needs to sacrifice himself," he said

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13336/Porte-ready-for-bigger-personal-opportunity-in-2013-hoping-for-a-secondary-leader-slot-in-Giro.aspx

True, however that was in November. And all plans will be finalized this month. Things change. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do Giro. We'll see soon enough though. Giro squad will do Oman & Tirren together. If he isn't there, he's doing Tour.
Gloin22

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing