Log in:  

Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
137
35%
Nibali
140
36%
Gesink
26
7%
Hesjedal
28
7%
Sanchez
12
3%
Basso/Scarponi
7
2%
Rujano
3
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
9
2%
A Colombian
10
3%
Other/Garzelli
16
4%
 
Total votes : 388

26 Feb 2013 23:45

Ryo Hazuki wrote:why would they need anyone to control flat stages? whatever sprinters teams there are will do of course :facepalm:


:rolleyes:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.
JRanton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,116
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 21:14

26 Feb 2013 23:48

JRanton wrote::rolleyes:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.

And how many was there for the Tour? EBH and Knees.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,450
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

26 Feb 2013 23:51

Netserk wrote:And how many was there for the Tour? EBH and Knees.


Eisel? You can say he was there for Cavendish (which he obviously was) but he still rode as a flat dom protecting yellow for Wiggins.
JRanton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,116
Joined: 02 Apr 2010 21:14

27 Feb 2013 00:02

JRanton wrote:Eisel? You can say he was there for Cavendish (which he obviously was) but he still rode as a flat dom protecting yellow for Wiggins.

And Cav, himself, was an useful teammate.
The fact he wasn't satisfied with that role misleads many to conclude he was useless.
User avatar serfla
Junior Member
 
Posts: 728
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 13:54

27 Feb 2013 07:49

JRanton wrote::rolleyes:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.


Comparing TdF and Giro parcours.

In my mind the Giro route makes it much tougher to control the action compared to last year's TdF stages.

Just check out the "flat" stage immediately after the first TT (sorry for the size):

Image

A train going for 12 stages? Maybe.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,296
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

27 Feb 2013 08:41

The tactic for a stage like that is too let a good sized group with no one who is likely to threaten overall go and do not attempt catch them. If you happen to put someone in the lead for a day or two it does not really matter.

Stages 5 and 6 go along the coast. Is there any chance of wind and echelons? Wiggins will need somebody to help him stay at the front if there is any chance of this.
Mad Elephant Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 14:23

27 Feb 2013 09:25

The problem with that for Sky would be that a Voeckler/ Arroyo-esque situation could emerge/ it would be after the last ITT- so Wiggins might not be able to regain back all the time.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,257
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

27 Feb 2013 10:04

Froome19 wrote:Knees is generally used as Wiggins's wind buffer so that leaves them with only one.


Yes, Knees even seems to do all his races with Wiggins, did Oman, will do Catalunya, Trentino.

In a German interview in January, he said he´d like to do Giro AND Tour this year.

No matter who´ll start the Giro for Sky, Wiggins will have a strong team. Sky and Astana will have the strongest lineups probably.
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

27 Feb 2013 11:06

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yes, Knees even seems to do all his races with Wiggins, did Oman, will do Catalunya, Trentino.

In a German interview in January, he said he´d like to do Giro AND Tour this year.

No matter who´ll start the Giro for Sky, Wiggins will have a strong team. Sky and Astana will have the strongest lineups probably.


Sky's team will be the strongest. Astana will be quite strong but Garmin could put together quite a strong team as well. Do not know whether CVV, Danielson, Talansky, Zabriske are likely to do the Giro.
Even AG2R could put quite a few strong climbers in the team, but they will struggle with TTT and very doubtful they will ride as a team especially if they take Gadret
Mad Elephant Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 14:23

27 Feb 2013 11:17

greenedge wrote:The problem with that for Sky would be that a Voeckler/ Arroyo-esque situation could emerge/ it would be after the last ITT- so Wiggins might not be able to regain back all the time.

I really don't see a 50 sized group go or one with a top rider in it, and Wiggo will take massive time in the MTT from most.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,450
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

27 Feb 2013 11:21

JRanton wrote::rolleyes:

Why do teams with a big GC contender always include a minimum of two flat doms in their line-up then?

They've obviously been getting it wrong all of these years. The cycling news road race forum knows better. Wiggins + 8 tiny Colombian climbers it is then.


oh yeah? where is this unwritten(as in made up by you) rule based on? you mean with sky eisel and cavendish? :lolcry: I rest my case


btw, at leats last years tour had like 20 flat stages in them. giro has 3 :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

27 Feb 2013 11:23

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yes, Knees even seems to do all his races with Wiggins, did Oman, will do Catalunya, Trentino.

In a German interview in January, he said he´d like to do Giro AND Tour this year.

No matter who´ll start the Giro for Sky, Wiggins will have a strong team. Sky and Astana will have the strongest lineups probably.


astana's team is so overrated. I take androni's team over that any day of the week.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

27 Feb 2013 11:49

Ryo Hazuki wrote:astana's team is so overrated. I take androni's team over that any day of the week.


Yeah, I actually forgot them, but you´re right, they´ll have a great team for the Giro.

Almost every rider from this team has the potential to win a stage. pellizotti and Sella will be to watch in the mountains, Gavazzi in the sprints, all the others in the breakaways.
RHRH19861986
Junior Member
 
Posts: 988
Joined: 17 Mar 2012 14:33
Location: Germany, Europe

27 Feb 2013 12:06

RHRH19861986 wrote:Yeah, I actually forgot them, but you´re right, they´ll have a great team for the Giro.

Almost every rider from this team has the potential to win a stage. pellizotti and Sella will be to watch in the mountains, Gavazzi in the sprints, all the others in the breakaways.


I don't know if gavazzi will ride, but with:

pellizotti
rubiano
jackson
sella
ochoa
chiarini
felline
tomas gil
reda

mother of god, what a team for the mountains :eek: all of them are potentially top 30 riders in the mountains., having 9 guys so equally strong is rare
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

27 Feb 2013 12:16

Ryo Hazuki wrote:I don't know if gavazzi will ride, but with:

pellizotti
rubiano
jackson
sella
ochoa
chiarini
felline
tomas gil
reda

mother of god, what a team for the mountains :eek: all of them are potentially top 30 riders in the mountains., having 9 guys so equally strong is rare


All South Americans are brilliant, yes we get that.
Mad Elephant Man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 520
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 14:23

27 Feb 2013 12:30

Was looking forward to see Majka riding his own cahnce (especially after his 2012 Vuelta performance). But, alas, it seems his knee, which kept him out of the Giro last year, is acting up again (keeping him out of TA so far).
User avatar Cimber
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,868
Joined: 03 Jan 2011 08:55

27 Feb 2013 13:41

Mad Elephant Man wrote:All South Americans are brilliant, yes we get that.


are you denieing the truth? jackson (top20), ochoa(top 30), gil, winner tachira, venezuela and rubiano won stage in giro last year and is great allround climber and classics rider :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

27 Feb 2013 13:58

Ryo Hazuki wrote:astana's team is so overrated. I take androni's team over that any day of the week.


Overrated? we do not call it Astana 09 or anything, but

Brajko
Tira
Kessiakoff

Could all top 15 this race (brajko top 10) if they where captains, so your Androni team can suck it :p
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Vino attacks everyone
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,518
Joined: 05 May 2011 16:26

27 Feb 2013 14:58

Mad Elephant Man wrote:All South Americans are brilliant, yes we get that.


And yet there's only 4 on Ryo's proposed team. Is Pellizotti Colombian now?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

27 Feb 2013 15:00

Vino attacks everyone wrote:Overrated? we do not call it Astana 09 or anything, but

Brajko
Tira
Kessiakoff

Could all top 15 this race (brajko top 10) if they where captains, so your Androni team can suck it :p


brajko and kessifakoff? those guys that always fgade away after the first week? well good luck for them this giro in the third week and tiralongo is great yes. what else do they have?
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,534
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AA_ESP, dirkprovin, LaFlorecita, MatParker117, momotaro and 36 guests

Back to top