Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
35%
Nibali
36%
Gesink
7%
Hesjedal
7%
Sanchez
3%
Basso/Scarponi
2%
Rujano
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
2%
A Colombian
3%
Other/Garzelli
4%

Total votes : 388

09 Jan 2013 15:52

Ryo Hazuki wrote:dombrowski isn't going to do any gt this year I'm sure of

You're clearly mistaken. Said in number of interview's he's doing Giro ;)
Gloin22

09 Jan 2013 15:59

Gloin22 wrote:You're clearly mistaken. Said in number of interview's he's doing Giro ;)

He was only told that he was on the shortlist, as far as I know.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

09 Jan 2013 16:03

Leendert82 wrote:Surprisingly more Nibali votes then Wiggins votes.

I doubt Nibali will win the Giro as his climbing is not the best and his time trialing is not the best. In top form he will be close to it but will always be outshone by others in either the climbs or the time trials. Nilbali is however very consistent which gives him a chance.

My top 10 will be
1. Gesink
2. Sanchez
3. Wiggins
4. Nibali
5. Scarponi
6. Basso
7. Henao/Uran (who ever helps Wiggins in the Giro not to sure)
8. Hesjedal
9. Pozzovivo
10. Kruiswijk

Rabobank's BoD will be glued to the TV if this happens.
Dazed and Confused

09 Jan 2013 16:06

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:He was only told that he was on the shortlist, as far as I know.

He's racing for definite ;)

If living in Europe for the first time wasn't challenging enough, in late December Dombrowski was presented with a more formidable task: joining the squad that would help Wiggins in the 21-stage Giro d'Italia, one of the three Grand Tours in professional cycling. (The other two are the Tour de France and the Vuelta a España.) The Italian race kicks off on May 3.

"I did not expect to do the Giro," he says. "I didn't really even expect to do a Grand Tour. I kinda ruled out the Giro because it's too early, there's no way they're gonna put me in that early, there's no way they're gonna have me to do the Giro if Wiggins is gonna go try to win. It's exciting, but it's a little bit daunting, I guess."

http://dcist.com/2013/01/joe_d.php

Posted on previous page too. He'll be racing it unless he's injured. He's season will have two peaks. Giro and a peak I believe around USA Pro Challenge.
Gloin22

09 Jan 2013 16:08

I doubt Nibali will win the Giro as his climbing is not the best and his time trialing is not the best. In top form he will be close to it but will always be outshone by others in either the climbs or the time trials. Nilbali is however very consistent which gives him a chance.

My top 10 will be
1. Gesink
2. Sanchez
3. Wiggins
4. Nibali
5. Scarponi
6. Basso
8. Hesjedal
9. Pozzovivo
10. Kruiswijk

wait, you say that Nibali can't win because he's not the best climber nor the best tter and then you say Gesink will win?
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

09 Jan 2013 16:13

Eshnar wrote:He was good at the Italian champs but he's completely untested over three weeks since '09. I think he'll go stage hunting.

He's on the long list (clue is in the name).

There will be plenty of riders being told they are riding a GT if things go right for them. Still a fair chance they decide the Giro is a bit much for a neopro
Waterloo Sunrise

09 Jan 2013 16:27

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:He's on the long list (clue is in the name).

There will be plenty of riders being told they are riding a GT if things go right for them. Still a fair chance they decide the Giro is a bit much for a neopro

what rider are you referring at? I don't understand. :confused:
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

09 Jan 2013 16:48

Eshnar wrote:wait, you say that Nibali can't win because he's not the best climber nor the best tter and then you say Gesink will win?

He's a Dutch fanboy.

Try to imagine you are forced to bet your life, your house or 250.000 dollars: who do you bet wins the Giro? You probably won't bet on Gesink.
janraaskalt

09 Jan 2013 16:50

Eshnar wrote:what rider are you referring at? I don't understand. :confused:

Sorry, thought I was quoting a Dombrowski post - not that I would want to stop anyone saying Ryo is wrong.
Waterloo Sunrise

09 Jan 2013 16:51

Dazed and Confused wrote:Rabobank's BoD will be glued to the TV if this happens.

Probably not, the Rabobank board doesn't watch the Giro. Just the Amstel Gold Race and the Tour.

My top 10 will be
1. Gesink
2. Sanchez
3. Wiggins
4. Nibali
5. Scarponi
6. Basso
8. Hesjedal
9. Pozzovivo
10. Kruiswijk

Come on, expecting Gesink to win is not realistic. His best result in a GT is 6th. Yes, I know Hesjedal's best result before last year was even worse, but he hadn't been trying as often.
theyoungest

09 Jan 2013 17:03

theyoungest wrote:Probably not, the Rabobank board doesn't watch the Giro. Just the Amstel Gold Race and the Tour.

Tragic, but they are not alone.
Dazed and Confused

09 Jan 2013 17:12

airstream wrote:Ah sorry, I noticed and I even was going to write all but Hitch, but forgot.

Nonetheless, I don't think that it was an accident

I voted Wiggins :D

But I hope Nibbles wins. It all depends on Wiggins's motivation and sky's marginal gains. And of course we don't know how the sky train deals with real climbers :rolleyes:
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

09 Jan 2013 17:29

LaFlorecita wrote:I voted Wiggins :D

But I hope Nibbles wins. It all depends on Wiggins's motivation and sky's marginal gains. And of course we don't know how the sky train deals with real climbers :rolleyes:

Yeah one proper attack of a real climber (Contador) at the TdF last year and Wiggins would've been blown up for sure!

But talking about the Giro. Who is that real climber than? Not Basso, Nibali, Scarponi, Gesink.

Maybe Sanchez or Pellizotti, but don't think so.

The steepness could be the killing factor here
User avatar staubsauger

09 Jan 2013 17:35

staubsauger wrote:Yeah one proper attack of a real climber (Contador) at the TdF last year and Wiggins would've been blown up for sure!

But talking about the Giro. Who is that real climber than? Not Basso, Nibali, Scarponi, Gesink.

Maybe Sanchez or Pellizotti, but don't think so.

The steepness could be the killing factor here

Rujano _O_

Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

09 Jan 2013 17:37

Damn that mountains jersey was so good. Screw the blue one.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

09 Jan 2013 17:39

will10 wrote:Damn that mountains jersey was so good. Screw the blue one.

Sure you don't want to screw the green one? :p ;)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

09 Jan 2013 18:24

Netserk wrote:Rujano _O_

He will lose about 4 or 6 minutes against the clock on Wiggins. No way he is consistent/ steady enough to take them all back. Based on that you could've also mentioned Atapuma or Chaves as overall challengers.
User avatar staubsauger

09 Jan 2013 18:36

Field looks good on paper.
I'm still voting Gesink. Don't believe it will happen, but cheering for him.
User avatar SafeBet

09 Jan 2013 19:02

Gloin22 wrote:You're clearly mistaken. Said in number of interview's he's doing Giro ;)

ok my bad. thought sky never let guys 21 or younger do gt's
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

09 Jan 2013 19:03

Netserk wrote:Rujano _O_

this is straight from heaven!
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing