Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
35%
Nibali
36%
Gesink
7%
Hesjedal
7%
Sanchez
3%
Basso/Scarponi
2%
Rujano
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
2%
A Colombian
3%
Other/Garzelli
4%

Total votes : 388

02 Apr 2013 16:51

Blanco's line-up: Robert Gesink, Steven Kruijswijk, Wilco Kelderman, Juan Manuel Garate, Jack Bobridge, Paul Martens, Maarten Wynants, Maarten Tjallingii and Stef Clement.

A strong team according to Blanco standards.

http://nos.nl/artikel/491195-blanco-vijf-nederlanders-in-giro.html
User avatar GP Blanco

02 Apr 2013 17:17

strong team indeed. Let's hope they can deliver...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

02 Apr 2013 17:47

GP Blanco wrote:Blanco's line-up: Robert Gesink, Steven Kruijswijk, Wilco Kelderman, Juan Manuel Garate, Jack Bobridge, Paul Martens, Maarten Wynants, Maarten Tjallingii and Stef Clement.

A strong team according to Blanco standards.

http://nos.nl/artikel/491195-blanco-vijf-nederlanders-in-giro.html

Strong team on paper. Really hoping Bobby won't disappoint me :o
User avatar SafeBet

02 Apr 2013 18:09

strong team

for the first week
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks

03 Apr 2013 09:10

Sky's Pre-Selected Giro Squad

WIGGINS Bradley
HENAO Sergio Luis
LOPEZ David
KIRYIENKA Vasil
DOMBROWSKI Joe
CATALDO Dario
URAN Rigoberto
PATE Danny

R.: KENNAUGH Peter

As I said before and some didn't believe. No Porte in there. Same with Dombrowski.

Insane squad, definitely best team in race. Whether they win it is other matter.

Considering Pate is the weakest climber here, and he's still not too bad, we may see 8 rider train at some points :p
Gloin22

03 Apr 2013 09:26

That is only 8, Knees missing?
Ferminal

03 Apr 2013 10:10

Sky have an insanely strong team, on paper. Uran already looked a little uninspired in Catalunya though, and both Henao and Uran did in the Vuelta. I'm not sure they like the whole Wiggo train thing.

Blanco look like they're prepared for a lot of flat echelon stages. Just two or three real climbers, that's not much.
theyoungest

03 Apr 2013 10:24

They should have kept Kiryienka for the Tour.
User avatar Ruudz0r

03 Apr 2013 10:27

Gloin22 wrote:Sky's Pre-Selected Giro Squad

WIGGINS Bradley
HENAO Sergio Luis
LOPEZ David
KIRYIENKA Vasil
DOMBROWSKI Joe
CATALDO Dario
URAN Rigoberto
PATE Danny

As I said before and some didn't believe. No Porte in there. Same with Dombrowski.

Insane squad, definitely best team in race. Whether they win it is other matter.

Considering Pate is the weakest climber here, and he's still not too bad, we may see 8 rider train at some points :p

Yes it's very strong and also means that Froome won't have many fresh riders for the Tour amongst the best climbers, not that he needs them as badly as others. I think they would have been better off saving one of the Colombians for the Tour to complement Porte.
movingtarget

03 Apr 2013 10:28

WIGGINS Bradley
HENAO Sergio Luis
LOPEZ David
KIRYIENKA Vasil
DOMBROWSKI Joe
CATALDO Dario
URAN Rigoberto
PATE Danny

Imagine they had taken that team to the Tour, putting in Froome and Porte instead of Pate and dombrowski. Stupidly strong team. Potentialy they could have dominated the podium and had 5 in the top ten. Surely they can't hang on to all this talent next year:confused:
User avatar Contadoraus Schlecks

03 Apr 2013 10:31

Ferminal wrote:That is only 8, Knees missing?

I'll take it as such.
So Pate instead of Kennaugh in my first post. I'll leave Kennaugh marked as substitute
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

03 Apr 2013 10:45

Contadoraus Schlecks wrote:Imagine they had taken that team to the Tour, putting in Froome and Porte instead of Pate and dombrowski. Stupidly strong team. Potentialy they could have dominated the podium and had 5 in the top ten. Surely they can't hang on to all this talent next year:confused:

I agree. Not everyone wants to be a domestique and quite a few of those riders could be team leaders in other teams. I think there will be lot's of movement from Sky riders in the next two seasons but it's always the way with strong teams unless they have an unlimited bankroll and have plenty of riders that are not interested in winning races themselves. And Sky also have plenty of good young riders so the depth in talent is there.
movingtarget

03 Apr 2013 10:54

Ruudz0r wrote:They should have kept Kiryienka for the Tour.

He could ride both, I suppose. Sky already hinted that some of their riders would do the double, IIRC.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

03 Apr 2013 11:25

User avatar Eshnar

03 Apr 2013 11:43

WIGGINS Bradley
HENAO Sergio Luis
LOPEZ David
KIRYIENKA Vasil
DOMBROWSKI Joe
CATALDO Dario
URAN Rigoberto
PATE Danny

Where did you get this from? Only 8 riders? Sounds legit. ;)

I still don't think Dombrowski will ride the Giro. It's probably between him and Kennaugh for the last spot and I think the Manxman will take it.
JRanton

03 Apr 2013 17:50

WIGGINS Bradley
HENAO Sergio Luis
LOPEZ David
KIRYIENKA Vasil
DOMBROWSKI Joe
CATALDO Dario
URAN Rigoberto
PATE Danny

The team may be insanely strong but the one who matters is the leader Wiggins. So far i am not impressed by his performances at Oman, Catalunya. Last year he was winning almost everything he raced in. This year he is in two minds. Looks like he is not properly training for the Giro(overconfidence):( and wants to save his best for the tour(greedy):(. There is no way he can be best in both. He is already experienced in that.
IndianCyclist

03 Apr 2013 20:23

What's happening with Lampre? Are they sending Scarponi, Cunego, and Ulissi? If so, who's going to be the leader? If they did send the three of them and with Niemiec and Serpa they actually have a team which could compete with Skyborgs during climbs....maybe.
User avatar whittashau

03 Apr 2013 20:25

whittashau wrote:What's happening with Lampre? Are they sending Scarponi, Cunego, and Ulissi? If so, who's going to be the leader? If they did send the three of them and with Niemiec and Serpa they actually have a team which could compete with Skyborgs during climbs....maybe.

Cunego isn't going.

User avatar Eshnar

03 Apr 2013 22:01

IndianCyclist wrote:The team may be insanely strong but the one who matters is the leader Wiggins. So far i am not impressed by his performances at Oman, Catalunya. Last year he was winning almost everything he raced in. This year he is in two minds. Looks like he is not properly training for the Giro(overconfidence):( and wants to save his best for the tour(greedy):(. There is no way he can be best in both. He is already experienced in that.

As far as I know, riding the Giro means you can't be really good early in the season. Anyway, he's been doing OK.
User avatar trevim

04 Apr 2013 00:13

I think Wiggins looks fine along with Nibali and Henao. Ryder needs some improvement but he has another month. After those riders it's hard to know who will figure in the Giro unless Evans and Gesink can surprise or Sanchez.
movingtarget

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing