Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
35%
Nibali
36%
Gesink
7%
Hesjedal
7%
Sanchez
3%
Basso/Scarponi
2%
Rujano
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
2%
A Colombian
3%
Other/Garzelli
4%

Total votes : 388

12 Apr 2013 08:45

Stage 11 is slightly different as well. They won't be finishing on the flat section on Erto e Casso. Instead it will be right on the top of the last climb with no flat running off it. The stage is therefore 2km shorter.
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 08:46

gooner wrote:Stage 8 is slightly different as well. They won't be finishing on the flat section on Erto e Casso. Instead it will be right on the top of the last climb with no flat running off it. The stage is therefore 2km shorter.

you mean stage 11. :p thanks, I didn't know that.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 08:49

Eshnar wrote:you mean stage 11. :p thanks, I didn't know that.

Yes, I just corrected it beforehand,:p :)
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 08:56

Obviously realised only having 2 and a half sprints wasa good recipe for getting no sprinters at all to turn up.
Waterloo Sunrise

12 Apr 2013 08:57

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Obviously realised only having 2 and a half sprints wasa good recipe for getting no sprinters at all to turn up.

Imho it's more like: "Hi Cav, thanks for coming, here's your pink jersey." :o:D
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 09:22

There seems to be a few other changes as well in the length of some of the stages. The official programme now says stage 7 is 176km and stage 13 is 254km.

As well stage 9 is shorter at 170km. There is a shorter quicker descent coming off the Vetta Le Croci. Plus the finish into Firenze kicks up slightly in the last km or 2.
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 09:26

gooner wrote:There seems to be a few other changes as well in the length of some of the stages. The official programme now says stage 7 is 176km and stage 13 is 254km.

As well stage 9 is shorter at 170km. There is a shorter quicker descent coming off the Vetta Le Croci. Plus the finish into Firenze kicks up slightly in the last km or 2.

Where do you see all that? :confused:

User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 09:27

Argos preselection...

Bert de Backer, Thomas Damuseau, John Degenkolb, Patrick Gretsch, Cheng Ji, Koen de Kort, Tobias Ludvigsson, Luka Mezgec, Tom Peterson, Georg Preidler, Matthieu Sprick, Tom Stamsnijder, Albert Timmer.

Let's hope for Degenkolb at least :o

User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 09:35

Eshnar wrote:Where do you see all that? :confused:

The official programme. I presume these are the right ones. The Napoli stage which you showed has changed is the exact same one as the one in the programme. It says here that is 130km.

Stage 17 is now longer as well at 214km. It's practically the same profile but longer in length.
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 09:41

gooner wrote:The official programme. I presume these are the right ones. The Napoli stage which you showed has changed is the exact same one as the one in the programme. It says here that is 130km.

Stage 17 is now longer as well at 214km. It's practically the same profile but longer in length.

You have the program? Any chance to find it somewhere on the internet? :o

User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 09:43

How did stage 13 change? I was very curious about that.

User avatar Eshnar

12 Apr 2013 09:53

Eshnar wrote:You have the program? Any chance to find it somewhere on the internet? :o

I got it in a shop. You can buy it here though.

http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/cycling/giro-d-italia-official-programme-2013/

Eshnar wrote:How did stage 13 change? I was very curious about that.

Again it's more or less the same profile but again longer in length.
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 14:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZAQkviDfRE&feature=player_embedded

Third part of the official giro favourites video, these have been pretty cool but i must say ryder hesjedal is a bit too bland for my taste :o
User avatar Parrulo

12 Apr 2013 15:34

If they kept the finish the same for 13 that's good, with that length it could be interesting.

Hopefully they added another hill to the finish of 7.
Ferminal

12 Apr 2013 16:24

Ferminal wrote:If they kept the finish the same for 13 that's good, with that length it could be interesting.

Hopefully they added another hill to the finish of 7.

Small bit of difference in stage 7 which won't really affect the race too much if at all. Between Casacanditella and Villamagnia it is a bit more lumpier but not too much difference either. The Villamagna is now a categorised climb(GPM 4) where it wasn't in the provisional profile.

That has the makings of a good stage.

Just one difference actually to stage 13. The climb to Diano D'Alba is now gone and the big climb after it the Tre Cuni is now categorised(GPM 3) where it wasn't before. The descent is slightly different but otherwise the run in is very similar. A bit of downer about that first climb missing. It looked a nasty short sharp kick up.
User avatar gooner

12 Apr 2013 16:32

Thanks for the info.

Kinda sucks about 13, I guess the road wasn't usable.
Ferminal

12 Apr 2013 17:06

gooner wrote:Small bit of difference in stage 7 which won't really affect the race too much if at all. Between Casacanditella and Villamagnia it is a bit more lumpier but not too much difference either. The Villamagna is now a categorised climb(GPM 4) where it wasn't in the provisional profile.

That has the makings of a good stage.

Just one difference actually to stage 13. The climb to Diano D'Alba is now gone and the big climb after it the Tre Cuni is now categorised(GPM 3) where it wasn't before. The descent is slightly different but otherwise the run in is very similar. A bit of downer about that first climb missing. It looked a nasty short sharp kick up.

:( fortunately the "big" climbg is still there. Should be interesting anyway.

User avatar Eshnar

13 Apr 2013 07:31

I checked out the parcours again yesterday and noticed a TTT on stage 2. I was sure I recalled seeing a prologue instead (thought Fabian was riding to get the pink jersey via the prologue)?? If there was a late change to this then why? Anyhoo, I think a prologue would be better, especially as TDF has TTT this year. But overall it's still a great course. The first week is filled with hilly stages and having the long ITT so early (stage 8) is going to be great for the racing I believe. In Australia I gather that we are getting all the weekend stages live, which means we get 8, 9, 14, 15 (Galibier which will be epic) and 20 (even more epic). Really looking forward to it.

The field is so strong this year. Last year the main protagonists were Hjeidedel (still don't know how to spell it), Basso, Scarponi, Rodriguez and De Gent. This year you take out Rodriguez (not sure if De Gent is racing?), but add Wiggins, Nibali, Sanchez and Evans. Wow! Keen to see how Henao goes too. He might be a semi protected rider in case Wiggo cracks, and might be strong enough now to podium. I think that Basso could still be up there. His preparations for 2011 TDF and 2012 Giro were greatly interrupted (if memory serves me correctly) so if he has been injury free this season then he might be able to build up to closer to his 2010 form. It's not like he was horrible last 2 years either. Glad to see that Evans is riding too. Don't understand why more riders don't ride the Giro. If you are not THE favourite for the TDF then it's a good option. If you don't begin well then you can pull out halfway through and consider it as training for the TDF; otherwise continue on and try for a high overall finish. This will be Evans' mindset I am sure.

An early prediction? 1. Wiggins 2. Nibali 3. Basso (yes, that's all rather predictable)
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack :)

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1 :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

13 Apr 2013 08:23

I thought RSNT were going to be sending a massively strong TTT squad to go there- and Cancellara would not have had to drag them around as much as he does when with the Shlecks- so i think that was their plan.

TDG is not riding- he is doing the TDF instead.
Gesink will also be there- i like him so i hope he goes well- his 6th at the Vuelta last year was a great comeback from the 2012 TDF crash he had.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge

13 Apr 2013 09:03

The TTT was there in the first place... That hasn't changed.

User avatar Eshnar

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing