Log in:  

Register

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

Wiggins
137
35%
Nibali
140
36%
Gesink
26
7%
Hesjedal
28
7%
Sanchez
12
3%
Basso/Scarponi
7
2%
Rujano
3
1%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti
9
2%
A Colombian
10
3%
Other/Garzelli
16
4%
 
Total votes : 388

13 Apr 2013 14:44

The Hitch wrote:lol wtf nibali ahead of wiggins in this poll?

People really are deluded.

How is a rider who is an inferior tter an inferior climber an inferior gt racer more likely to crack on long mountain stages, with a weaker team, going to beat wiggins?
Ok yes its possible wiggins doesnt prepare right or crashes but thats also possible for Nibali. Its also possible that some guy wins a gc in a 30 minute breakaway. But im guessing the people voting for nibali arent all basing their votes on deus ex machina.


Probably these people don't consider Wiggo a better climber than Nibali.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,612
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

13 Apr 2013 14:47

The Hitch wrote:lol wtf nibali ahead of wiggins in this poll?

People really are deluded.

How is a rider who is an inferior tter an inferior climber an inferior gt racer more likely to crack on long mountain stages, with a weaker team, going to beat wiggins?

You're talking like Wiggins is the new Merckx or something.
He definitely is a better tter than Nibali. As for the rest, still to prove.
How many times in his career did Wiggins crack on a long mountain stage? Not sure they're that less than those of Nibali...
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,089
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

13 Apr 2013 14:51

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Probably these people don't consider Wiggo a better climber than Nibali.


Exactly,plus(as for me) I think Wiggins won't be at Tour12 level.IMO Nibali will fight for the win with Henao,not with Wiggins:cool:
Alberto Contador fanboy
Proud Participant of a Thrilling Foxxy's GGTG 2014-15
User avatar ILovecycling
Senior Member
 
Posts: 8,226
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

13 Apr 2013 15:11

So Wiggins will go from GT winner last year to off the podium, and Henao will go from 7th or 8th or wherever he finished to top2?
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

13 Apr 2013 15:13

The Hitch wrote:lol wtf nibali ahead of wiggins in this poll?

People really are deluded.

How is a rider who is an inferior tter an inferior climber an inferior gt racer more likely to crack on long mountain stages, with a weaker team, going to beat wiggins?
Ok yes its possible wiggins doesnt prepare right or crashes but thats also possible for Nibali. Its also possible that some guy wins a gc in a 30 minute breakaway. But im guessing the people voting for nibali arent all basing their votes on deus ex machina.

You will look really silly after May.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

13 Apr 2013 15:19

Netserk wrote:You will look really silly after May.


Do you think Nibali has any chance against 2012 level Wiggins?
User avatar the sceptic
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,484
Joined: 21 Jul 2012 20:17

13 Apr 2013 15:20

Netserk wrote:You will look really silly after May.


Wiggins has to fail completely to give Nibali a chance.

And right now he looks good.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,185
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

13 Apr 2013 15:28

Ferminal wrote:So Wiggins will go from GT winner last year to off the podium, and Henao will go from 7th or 8th or wherever he finished to top2?


You have to remember that Henao is stillyoung, it was the beginning of his first season in Europe, his first GT, he worked a bit for other riders etc.

There's all the reason in the world to expect Henao to do much much better than previous Giro, but yeah, he'll be domestiqueing for Wiggo, I guess, which is only reasonable considering Wiggo won the TDF last year.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,612
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

13 Apr 2013 15:33

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:You have to remember that Henao is stillyoung, it was the beginning of his first season in Europe, his first GT, he worked a bit for other riders etc.

There's all the reason in the world to expect Henao to do much much better than previous Giro, but yeah, he'll be domestiqueing for Wiggo, I guess, which is only reasonable considering Wiggo won the TDF last year.


If Henao so far hasn't really been near his top shape this season, he could be very dangerous to the other contenders next month.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,185
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

13 Apr 2013 15:35

the sceptic wrote:Do you think Nibali has any chance against 2012 level Wiggins?

On this parcours yes.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,503
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

13 Apr 2013 15:41

Eshnar wrote:You're talking like Wiggins is the new Merckx or something.
He definitely is a better tter than Nibali. As for the rest, still to prove.
How many times in his career did Wiggins crack on a long mountain stage? Not sure they're that less than those of Nibali...


Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Probably these people don't consider Wiggo a better climber than Nibali.


Ok lets be generous and say Nibali is a better climber than Wiggins (for which there is absolutely no proof, but lets pretend)

He is going to need to be sufficiently better than wiggins to be able to drop him conclusively for time, on several mountain stages.

When have we ever seen that from Nibali. He did it against Kreuziger and Horner in TA last year. Now lets see if he can do it against a team with 5 riders better than those 2.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,108
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

gimme sunshine

13 Apr 2013 15:42

The Hitch wrote:lol wtf nibali ahead of wiggins in this poll?

People really are deluded.



not deluded...................optimistic

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,857
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

13 Apr 2013 15:44

Netserk wrote:On this parcours yes.


Even if he is able to drop Wiggo in the mountains, how is he going to make up for the 3-4 minutes he will lose in the ITT's? I cant see it happening but i would love to be proven wrong.
User avatar the sceptic
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,484
Joined: 21 Jul 2012 20:17

13 Apr 2013 15:48

Wiggins in a weak team would be a lot more vulnerable but he isn't. I still think the only way Nibali wins is if Wiggins has bad luck at the wrong time like a crash or a mechanical and gets isolated or he bonks and has a horrible stage and loses big time which is unlikely.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,875
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

13 Apr 2013 15:55

The Hitch wrote:Ok lets be generous and say Nibali is a better climber than Wiggins (for which there is absolutely no proof, but lets pretend)

He is going to need to be sufficiently better than wiggins to be able to drop him conclusively for time, on several mountain stages.

When have we ever seen that from Nibali. He did it against Kreuziger and Horner in TA last year. Now lets see if he can do it against a team with 5 riders better than those 2.


Oh it's pure speculation that Nibali is a better climber, or that he will have the ability to gain a load of time on Wiggins, I'll hand you that. What's mainly been appealing to people is that he rides much more aggressively these days, with reasonable succes (see this years TA and last years TA).

Last year's TDF was the only real time that we got to see the new improved Wiggins against the new attacking Nibali, but the parcours didn't lend itself to attacking and he was the only one trying to attack.

We'll only get a preview in Trentino I guess, of whether Nibali stands a chance. Otherwise we'll just have to wait till the Giro. :D
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,612
Joined: 23 Oct 2011 17:47

13 Apr 2013 15:55

No one is talking about last year's winner either. I guess we will see whether that win was an anomaly or not. He was very consistent last year but of course Sky did not figure nor did Nibali. But Rodriguez's subsequent ride in the Vuelta indicates that it was a great win by Ryder in the Giro.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,875
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

13 Apr 2013 16:07

movingtarget wrote:No one is talking about last year's winner either. I guess we will see whether that win was an anomaly or not. He was very consistent last year but of course Sky did not figure nor did Nibali. But Rodriguez's subsequent ride in the Vuelta indicates that it was a great win by Ryder in the Giro.


Rodriguez still sometimes suffered in the cold there though, he was much better in the heat of Spain. Hesjedal, as a quite heavy GC rider, is much more suited to colder weather.
User avatar Pentacycle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,185
Joined: 28 May 2012 08:28
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands

13 Apr 2013 16:22

The Hitch wrote:Now lets see if he can do it against a team with 5 riders better than those 2.

Don't ask me, my crystal ball is under maintenance. I had to give it back when it made me pick Froome for Tirreno. :o
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.


Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7,089
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 11:25
Location: Frankfurt am Main

13 Apr 2013 16:29

Eshnar wrote:Don't ask me, my crystal ball is under maintenance. I had to give it back when it made me pick Froome for Tirreno. :o


so Nibali is going to win the Giro by taking 30 seconds on a hilly stage, thanks in part to the pulling done by Sagan and Purito.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago


journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Senior Member
 
Posts: 27,108
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

13 Apr 2013 16:30

The Hitch wrote:Ok lets be generous and say Nibali is a better climber than Wiggins (for which there is absolutely no proof, but lets pretend)

He is going to need to be sufficiently better than wiggins to be able to drop him conclusively for time, on several mountain stages.

When have we ever seen that from Nibali. He did it against Kreuziger and Horner in TA last year. Now lets see if he can do it against a team with 5 riders better than those 2.


He never dropped Contador or Froome in T/A and managed to win the race.
Giro is not only about TTs and big climbs. It's a far more complex parcours than the Tour.
I don't think Nibbles winning the Giro is likely. But it's not as absurd as you make it sound either.

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Gesink did have an injury free prep for once. Only in PN he has gotten ill (which is also why he performed badly), then after only 2 good training rides and a lot of rest he still got 6th at Catalunya.

He said today in an interview that a podium is his goal. Main question with Gesink is if he stays injury free for 3 weeks and doesn't lose time in stages you don't expect it. Only then is podium a possibility, there is no room for ****ups in a GT


KEy will be the first week in my opinion. There's a couple of stages where he could **** up big time. I'm trying to stay positive anyway.
User avatar SafeBet
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,020
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 13:38
Location: Milano, Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandre B., BeagRigh, drj12, Google [Bot], Maaaaaaaarten, OlavEH and 50 guests

Back to top