Register

Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN.

14 Jan 2013 20:18

Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.
Ben Aroundo

14 Jan 2013 20:33

Nothing is going to happen unless the UCI actually offer some support. Irrespective of what "gender" the UCI is
williamp78

14 Jan 2013 21:10

Ben Aroundo wrote:Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.

The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.
uphillstruggle

14 Jan 2013 21:29

uphillstruggle wrote:The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.

Do you live in Athens 450 B.C by any chance?
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato

The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero

New Wiggle/Honda team

27 Jan 2013 19:48

I am ashamed to say, I couldn't help laughing at this.

Asked what difference to the new Wiggle/Honda team support would make to OL gold medal winner Laura Trott, she said: "If I ever need anything, like a pair of shoes, I can get it"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21201082

I KNOW if a man said that I wouldn't find it funny, but what the hell, you're allowed a night off:D
coinneach

27 Jan 2013 19:53

I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.
It tasted like rabbit ;)
User avatar Joachim

27 Jan 2013 19:57

Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.
Waterloo Sunrise

27 Jan 2013 19:59

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.

Well, if my post was sexist,:o yours trumps it by quite some way!:p
coinneach

27 Jan 2013 20:00

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.

:confused:

You don't have to read it. The thread title is pretty clear, why did you click on it if you know it is going to displease you?

Odd.
It tasted like rabbit ;)
User avatar Joachim

27 Jan 2013 20:27

El Pistolero wrote:Do you live in Athens 450 B.C by any chance?

Lol i love how everytime you get taught something at uni you make.references to.that subject on here to try and look all clever. You've been on velorooms all week talking about how you have to revise ancient athens and all the specifics.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

28 Jan 2013 06:16

Joachim wrote:I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.

Is tennis the only sport where men and women compete together?
phanatic

28 Jan 2013 06:37

williamp78 wrote:Nothing is going to happen unless the UCI actually offer some support. Irrespective of what "gender" the UCI is

This. It's another way of saying they ALREADY FACE THIS ISSUE ON THEIR OWN. And the UCI is no help.

Remember, there was a Tour de France run for women for many years too. Both the male and female malliot jaune shared the podium.

FYI: Equestrian events like dressage men and women compete together.

Title IX anyone? The doom sayers claimed it would eviscerate Men's sports and it didn't. What a shocker. Equal prize purses should be a given in cycling at the elite level. The Women's racing can be good.
User avatar DirtyWorks

28 Jan 2013 06:46

phanatic wrote:Is tennis the only sport where men and women compete together?

I'm thinking in terms of pay differential
It tasted like rabbit ;)
User avatar Joachim

28 Jan 2013 08:18

Joachim wrote:I'm thinking in terms of pay differential

Cross Country, Biathlon, Alpine Skiing and Figure skating probably comes close to equality in pay structure/prize money.
Dazed and Confused

28 Jan 2013 09:17

http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/biathlon-world-cup-prize-money-201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.
User avatar Libertine Seguros

28 Jan 2013 09:33

What ever happened to, "I am woman hear me roar"? :confused: Or how ever that saying goes?

Funny thing is the powers that be are a bit busy with not getting overthrown so I think this one is going to be shelved for some time, if not indefinitely.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

28 Jan 2013 09:35

Libertine Seguros wrote:http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/biathlon-world-cup-prize-money-201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.

I thought LS knew quite a lot about cycling, but now I realise its not just cycling...you should get paid for this!
coinneach

28 Jan 2013 21:23

Prize money for Tour of Qatar (starting 29 January.)

Women (4 stages) €21 360
Men (5 stages + TTT) €103 375

If the number of stages were the same it would be about a 1:4 ratio - is this about the same as other parallel events (RVV, FW?) The prize money is better than the Giro Donne which is closer to €10K from what I've read.
User avatar GPdesAmeriques

29 Jan 2013 01:40

Interesting argument.

In NCAA college sports there is something called Title IX. It refers to equal opportunity for female sports participation, and isn't contingent on revenue generation. Lots of debates about Title IX.

In the US, women's soccer isn't on the level of MLS when it comes to money, but remains quite popular, especially in participation, with women making up nearly 50% of all athletes who play competitive soccer. Go to any school event and girls soccer is nearly equal in popularity to boys.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez

29 Jan 2013 01:55

Three words: Beach bike racing.

It did wonders for volleyball.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal

Next

Return to Professional road racing