Register

Which 2013 GT has the best route?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Rank the three GTs

1st Giro, 2nd Tour, 3rd Vuelta
40%
1st Giro, 2nd Vuelta, 3rd Tour
32%
1st Tour, 2nd Giro, 3rd Vuelta
8%
1st Tour, 2nd Vuelta, 3rd Giro
9%
1st Vuelta, 2nd Giro, 3rd Tour
9%
1st Vuelta, 2nd Tour, 3rd Giro
2%

Total votes : 90

15 Jan 2013 16:05

Descender wrote:Am I the only one who can't access the TdF profiles?

Same here.

But steephill has them (the ones that are public)
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

15 Jan 2013 16:06

The Corsica stages:

User avatar Netserk

15 Jan 2013 16:07

Giro, vuelta, tour
"The second place is not good."
The great Alberto Contador :p
User avatar LaFlorecita

15 Jan 2013 16:18

oh, i get it. the tour is the same old borefest as opposed to super unpredictable stages to pena cabarga, valdepenas de jaen and other amazing uphill sprints after short climbs
User avatar roundabout

15 Jan 2013 16:23

Netserk wrote:The Corsica stages:

Well that second stage (Batista - Ajacco) looks like Europcar against the rest of the peloton. Pretty sure Voeckler or anyone else of them will try to do something there. And if it's just that Tommy could secure some first points for the polka dot jersey during that stage.
User avatar staubsauger

15 Jan 2013 16:24

staubsauger wrote:Well that second stage (Batista - Ajacco) looks like Europcar against the rest of the peloton. Pretty sure Voeckler or anyone else of them will try to do something there. And if it's just that Tommy could secure some first points for the polka dot jersey during that stage.

1st: Cav
2nd: Sagan
3rd: Breakaway
User avatar Netserk

15 Jan 2013 16:53

roundabout wrote:oh, i get it. the tour is the same old borefest as opposed to super unpredictable stages to pena cabarga, valdepenas de jaen and other amazing uphill sprints after short climbs

Shush!

Repeat with me 100 times: TdF is a borefest, TdF is a borefest, TdF is a borefest...
User avatar Descender

15 Jan 2013 16:56

These are all mighty good mountain stages, and they offer variety, unlike the monotonous MTF after MTF of Giro and Vuelta.
User avatar Descender

15 Jan 2013 17:23

I don't think the Giro has a bad parcours overall. It lacks in the mountains stages department, but the ITT is wonderful and there are interesting stages in the first week.
It's surely the best of the pack this year.
Tour and Vuelta haven't changed much from last year. I'll give the edge to the Vuelta since it provided some very good riding in 2012. Maybe it was only because of the riders, or maybe not. I need to see what happens this year.
User avatar SafeBet

15 Jan 2013 17:28

1. Giro
2. Tour
3. Vuelta

Having said that I am choosing the best of a bad bunch.
Jan the Man

15 Jan 2013 17:40

So a waste of the Madeleine, "Gap to Alpe-D'Huez" and a repeat of the Peyresourde are examples of why the Tour isn't the same old borefest.:rolleyes:
User avatar the asian

15 Jan 2013 17:56

Descender wrote:Shush!

Repeat with me 100 times: TdF is a borefest, TdF is a borefest, TdF is a borefest...

Why do you think that the Vuelta is better than the Giro??
User avatar Netserk

15 Jan 2013 18:56

Netserk wrote:Why do you think that the Vuelta is better than the Giro??

What?

-------

Descender wrote:Tour-Giro-Vuelta if forced to rank them.
User avatar Descender

15 Jan 2013 19:10

May I answer that?

It seems to me that I disagree with most of you, about the parcours a grand tour should have.

We could discuss whether a Tour or Vuelta should've a balanced route (In fact they nearly never have. Look at the TdF's back in the 80's with 6 time trails in it. That's not balanced at all. I doubt Lucho Herra is happy that they made it impossible for him to win a TdF that way). Or whether the route should change from times to times to not always let the best all-rounder win, but once a time trailer like Wiggins, once a climber like Pantani, or even once an uphill sprinter like possibly in this years Vuelta (Hell, there even once was a Vuelta Rudii Altig won. A guy which is mainly remembered as a sprinter today). And I accept that my point-of-view might be totally different than the one of most of yours.

But for me the Giro parcours is just crap with the long time trail in it. Hell, we are talking about the Giro. A giro doesn't have to be balanced at all. It's a climbers race. The giro should be won by guys like Pantani, Simoni, Cunego, Basso, Di Luca, Contador. I never want to see a guy like Denis Mentsjov winning the Giro again, because they include a long time trail especially for Lance Armstrong. That was such a shame, and it was the 100th edition!

Also the giro also isn't about globalization at all. The Giro is Italian. It's the corsa rosa! With mainly Italian competitors, Italian teams that get wildcard invitations and the beautiful, steep and brutal Italian climbs in the Alps as well as in the other parts of the country. This is the special, unique character Zomegnan gave to the Giro. And just that's was the reason why suddenly guys like Contador, Sastre, Schleck, Anton, Evans, Winokurow and even Armstrong in 2009 attempt there. Because it's just a special challenge. And either you try to face that challenge to adapt the Italian lifestyle and conquer Italy like Contador did, or you stay in France because you are afraid that even with as much Epo as possible you would get *** kicked in the dolomites by Gilberto Simon like Big Lance!

You can't compare the Giro to the Tour or Vuelta at all. The Giro is the delicacy for the real beaux! It's like trying to compare espresso with coffee. It looks and taste similar, but it isn't. The espresso has some special character to enjoy to the full. And that's why even the biggest coffee freak once will try to drink a good cup of espresso. But don't try to make the espresso taste like coffee. Don't trike to make the Giro "balanced" as the Tour. Don't try to globalize it. It won't be espresso and it won't be the Giro anymore!

Just my (maybe a bit strange) 2 cents.
User avatar staubsauger

15 Jan 2013 19:17

The Giro always had TTs. Its lack of tting is relatively recent. 2009 had a suspiciously long ITT, true, but it's not like before it was all about climbing. Only from 2010 to 2012 was. And, while I agree the old all-italians times were awesome, now Italian riders alone couldn't provide the show they used to offer. That's why globalising is the right thing.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

15 Jan 2013 19:38

But the current talented rage of Colombians/ South Americans could provide together with the Italians and some foreigners And that while they maybe wouldn't be able to ride for the overall in the Tour anytime! And in some way you just have globalized the Giro than by just staying with the unique character Angelo Zomegnan gave to te race! :)

But on the other side. If Thibaut Pinot confirms his talent in this years tour or another grand tour I'm excited if we suddenly will get a dramatically increase of mountains and decrease of time trails in the Tour :D ;)
User avatar staubsauger

15 Jan 2013 19:44

staubsauger wrote:But the current talented rage of Colombians/ South Americans could provide together with the Italians and some foreigners And that while they maybe wouldn't be able to ride for the overall in the Tour anytime! And in some way you just have globalized the Giro than by just staying with the unique character Angelo Zomegnan gave to te race! :)

But on the other side. If Thibaut Pinot confirms his talent in this years tour or another grand tour I'm excited if we suddenly will get a dramatically increase of mountains and decrease of time trails in the Tour :D ;)

?

2009-2011 routes were hardly heavy on ITTs.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10

15 Jan 2013 19:50

will10 wrote:?

2009-2011 routes were hardly heavy on ITTs.

Klopt, but on the other side 2009 for example didn't have much climbing either.

I'm just interested if they suddenly will go "Giro style" and design a very mountainous parcours that would suit him as a climber.

But first of all Pinot needs to confirm his talent and improve his level of course.
User avatar staubsauger

15 Jan 2013 19:56

Descender wrote:What?

-------

Sorry, it's just that you voted in the poll for Tour-Vuelta-Giro
User avatar Netserk

15 Jan 2013 21:37

Netserk wrote:Sorry, it's just that you [Descender] voted in the poll for Tour-Vuelta-Giro
This is funny as hell. LOL. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing