Log in:  

Register

Amstel Gold finish line change

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Amstel Gold finish line change

15 Jan 2013 20:50

A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<
GatorGene
Junior Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 19:56
Location: Tampa, Florida USA

15 Jan 2013 20:57

GatorGene wrote:A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<


Winner will be slightly more unpredictable which is always good, but race action will likely continue to be a matter of minutes rather than anything approaching the hour mark. Try cutting the team size to 6.
Dazed and Confused
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,779
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

15 Jan 2013 21:00

thank god they moved the finish line!!!1

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.
User avatar Parrulo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 10,093
Joined: 05 Aug 2010 01:42

15 Jan 2013 21:06

Parrulo wrote:thank god they moved the finish line!!!1

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.


I already miss Freire :o
burning
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,138
Joined: 29 Feb 2012 21:33

15 Jan 2013 21:07

Parrulo wrote:thank god they moved the finish line!!!1

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.


That depends if you consider Degenkolb, EBH or Sagan sprinters. Who have won mass sprints plenty.

Both of them 3 can make it I'd say. It really depends what form they will have coming of out cobbled classics.
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,690
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

15 Jan 2013 21:23

Good decision IMO-but I think the race should get way more selective before the Cauberg by adding either more hills or direct it through more technical roads.
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
Sun Tzu
User avatar hfer07
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,297
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

15 Jan 2013 21:31

I doubt it will change that much, maybe the more sprinter type guys like Sagan or EBH will have a better chance against the puncheur types like Gilbert or Purito. If a rider can be very strong on the Cauberg though, they should be able to make it the remaining 2 km. Gilbert demonstrated this at worlds.

Overall I think it's a good idea though, it could definitely inspire more attacks. And maybe we'll get some counter attacks if a select group comes over the Cauberg together.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

15 Jan 2013 21:40

I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
User avatar ElChingon
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,919
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 03:19
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI

15 Jan 2013 21:50

ElChingon wrote:I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.


Basically same as Worlds.. So yeah :D
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,690
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

15 Jan 2013 21:59

hfer07 wrote:Good decision IMO-but I think the race should get way more selective before the Cauberg by adding either more hills or direct it through more technical roads.


The race will be more selective with less hills. Currently, every attack before Keutenberg is suicide. The sheer number of climbs kills any initiative. No race favourite or outsider takes the risk of trying a surprise move.

The new Tour of Flanders has the same problem IMO. This year an elite group with Boonen, Pozzato, Ballan and Sagan broke away at 35km to go. No way the peloton would catch them in the traditional Tour of Flanders. But this year it happened as the big guns where relying on the last ascent of the Kwaremont & Paterberg to make the difference.

As a race organiser you have to make sure the riders are willing to make the race. This will automatically result in a more selective and attractive race.
User avatar il_fiammingo
Junior Member
 
Posts: 257
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 07:25
Location: Geraardsbergen, Belgium

15 Jan 2013 22:16

I'd like to see the race go back to how it was before 2003 when it finished in Maastricht. It used to produce a wide variety of winners but since it has finished at the top of the Cauberg it has just felt like a seond rate Fleche Wallonne to me.
Carlo Algatrensig
Junior Member
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 14:34
Location: Solihull, UK

15 Jan 2013 23:43

Oscar Friere may now regret retiring after this course change. I personally prefer Amstel finishing on top of the hill. The hill sprint aspect of it and people surviving from a long range attack will die completely if you finish the race a couple of km's after the top of the climb.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,164
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 02:37
Location: Australia

15 Jan 2013 23:49

I doubt it will make much of a difference as long as we have someone like Gilbert who can last the distance. Without such a rider it will be very unpredictable however.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,048
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 21:00

16 Jan 2013 00:48

We saw at the Worlds that if Gilbert is on form he will still win- for this year. After that i expect riders like Sagan, Degenkolb and EBH to win as Gilbert will either wane or focus on M-SR/ RVV.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
User avatar greenedge
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,123
Joined: 27 Mar 2011 04:23

16 Jan 2013 03:04

I'd prefer Maastricht too, but anything is better than the HTF.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,747
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

16 Jan 2013 10:32

So this is gonna become Sagan Gold Race.
I like it :cool:
" wrote:"It's magnificent to end it like this," he said. "All the big champions like (Laurent) Jalabert and (Richard) Virenque went out on top and I wanted to do the same."?
User avatar Pippo_San
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,412
Joined: 02 Sep 2011 10:48
Location: On the Moon

16 Jan 2013 10:45

I do not know about Sagan. Right now he still seems a level beneath Gilbert and perhaps even Rodriguez on these hills.

Yes, I understand he has potential.
"It is going to be very scary." - Tom Boonen*
User avatar Panda Claws
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,048
Joined: 29 Aug 2011 21:00

16 Jan 2013 10:50

Panda Claws wrote:I do not know about Sagan. Right now he still seems a level beneath Gilbert and perhaps even Rodriguez on these hills.

Yes, I understand he has potential.

Tell me when Gilbert can do this:

Image


Image
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,865
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

16 Jan 2013 11:00

Netserk wrote:Tell me when Gilbert can do this:

Image
theyoungest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,239
Joined: 11 Jan 2010 14:47

16 Jan 2013 11:03

I think it is good the way it is.
movingtarget
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,446
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GP Blanco, Jack_89, Maaaaaaaarten, OlavEH, PunchingRouleur, Richeypen and 51 guests

Back to top