Register

If Contador rides the Giro, will Wiggins still ride it?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

If Contador rides the giro, will wiggins still ride it?

Poll ended at 30 Jan 2013 16:41

Yes
58%
No
26%
He'll break his collarbone on purpose to make it legit
16%

Total votes : 126

20 Jan 2013 18:22

Eshnar wrote:For a guy with the ego of Wiggins it is plain impossible to back up after saying he's going for the Giro as primary goal.

Yeah, he'll start. I doubt he finishes it though if it turns out that his climbing isn't good enough to win the overall.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

20 Jan 2013 18:27

veganrob wrote:That is a pretty big if. While we know AC shows up to win.

Contador can be different too. They both may be different. Yes, if Contador will show up at the 2009 Tour level, it is extremely difficult to imagine Wiggins winning. But to say 'Wiggins has no chance' is way over.

IMO, people generally underrate defensive riding that Wiggins promotes, confusing visual show and effectiveness. It is like blanket stereotype which I can not understand. True, Wiggins is dependent on the team rider, but people tend to absolutize this. Nonetheless, all that was discussed numerous times and I have nothing new to say.
User avatar airstream

20 Jan 2013 18:31

Yes.

And if Contador doesn't ride the Giro, I think Wiggins will backoff too.
rghysens

20 Jan 2013 18:31

Eshnar wrote:For a guy with the ego of Wiggins it is plain impossible to back up after saying he's going for the Giro as primary goal.

I think Eshnar is spot on.
There's no way he's gonna skip it. And if he does it's gonna be awkward.
User avatar SafeBet

20 Jan 2013 18:53

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:Badly started thread with the title and the question asked in opposite orientation.

I pressed a different option than I had intended :o

Needs changing.
deValtos

20 Jan 2013 20:36

The newly knighted, and already arrogant Wiggins will never back off. If anything, he'll add Froome to his train. Game on!

Miburo: your poll streak is still intact. :D
Do you want to watch better bike racing? => Team radios (not race radio) must go!
User avatar cineteq

20 Jan 2013 20:39

He'll get crushed in the Giro, which will hurt his ego so much he'll become addicted to alcohol again.
Red Rick

20 Jan 2013 21:03

What?? Do you think Wiggins is afraid of Contador?
Last year Wiggins was at another level
User avatar iZnoGouD

20 Jan 2013 21:22

iZnoGouD wrote:What?? Do you think Wiggins is afraid of Contador?
Last year Wiggins was at another level

Of boredom?
User avatar Miburo

20 Jan 2013 21:33

I am of the opinion that Wiggos arrogance trumps all and he will think that he can change his mind about anything and no one has the right to question.
User avatar veganrob

20 Jan 2013 22:42

I hope AC will ride Giro, that will be a huge blow to W's "legend" fairytale
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
User avatar maxmartin

20 Jan 2013 22:49

Bertie would be a fool to ride the Giro in the 100th anniversary year of a climbing-heavy Tour this year, when he should reclaim Tour supremacy. Exhaust himself in the Giro to fall short in the Tour this year? No way. (Riis is no dummy.)

Much more sense for Brad to ride the Giro whoever shows up. Shane Sutton makes a lot of sense on this: Brad should aim for each GT, not repeat wins in one (if that's even possible).
User avatar Parrot23

20 Jan 2013 23:57

It's not going to happen. Giro finishes 26 May and Tour starts 29 June
User avatar ferryman

21 Jan 2013 00:09

airstream wrote:Contador can be different too. They both may be different. Yes, if Contador will show up at the 2009 Tour level, it is extremely difficult to imagine Wiggins winning. But to say 'Wiggins has no chance' is way over.

IMO, people generally underrate defensive riding that Wiggins promotes, confusing visual show and effectiveness. It is like blanket stereotype which I can not understand. True, Wiggins is dependent on the team rider, but people tend to absolutize this. Nonetheless, all that was discussed numerous times and I have nothing new to say.

Man you are a case. You abandoned our boy Andy cos he didn't have it to beat Bertie, you got on the Froome train cos you thought he could beat Bertie, now you are just about to get on the Wiggins train if I read where you are going with this.

And yes totally agree, you have nothing new to say.
User avatar ferryman

21 Jan 2013 00:14

iZnoGouD wrote:Last year Wiggins was at another level

And when the road tilted up, that level was a notch or two below Froome and a further notch behind Contador.
User avatar pedaling squares

21 Jan 2013 00:29

ferryman wrote:Man you are a case. You abandoned our boy Andy cos he didn't have it to beat Bertie, you got on the Froome train cos you thought he could beat Bertie, now you are just about to get on the Wiggins train if I read where you are going with this.

And yes totally agree, you have nothing new to say.

You guys actually believed he was an Andy fan? He only ever pretended to be an Andy fan because last year a lot of Contador fans were really hateful of Andy.

He never actually defended Andy if he was compared to other riders or talked him up in any thread that wasnt about Contador.

He has been willing put down Andy Schleck in a heartbeat if he feels Contador fans are defending him or if people are talking up his performances at the 2009 and 2010 Tours because Contador was there.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch

21 Jan 2013 00:47

The Hitch wrote:You guys actually believed he was an Andy fan? He only ever pretended to be an Andy fan because last year a lot of Contador fans were really hateful of Andy.

He never actually defended Andy if he was compared to other riders or talked him up in any thread that wasnt about Contador.

He has been willing put down Andy Schleck in a heartbeat if he feels Contador fans are defending him or if people are talking up his performances at the 2009 and 2010 Tours because Contador was there.

I know, but I like to work the Andy thing with him, which he never responds to. Although, to be clear, I am a genuine Andy fan:o :)
User avatar ferryman

21 Jan 2013 01:05

airstream wrote:Contador can be different too. They both may be different. Yes, if Contador will show up at the 2009 Tour level, it is extremely difficult to imagine Wiggins winning. But to say 'Wiggins has no chance' is way over.

Wiggins on pure talent is not in the same category as AC. Wiggins admits that also. Last year's "wins" were from the compensation of the Sky train. That train is back to the 2009 level in my opinion with the exit of some notable clinic related names. Actually I rate Wiggins below Nibali, Purito, Basso, the list continues.....
jilbiker

21 Jan 2013 02:04

the asian wrote:Pretty much this. Leaving enough time for recovery before Tour:D

Froome to be his slave for the 2nd year running.

But, I feel it will be a badly acted injury not the real one and then the UCI will have to decide if a faked injury against the rules.
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
User avatar ElChingon

21 Jan 2013 02:29

jilbiker wrote:Wiggins on pure talent is not in the same category as AC. Wiggins admits that also. Last year's "wins" were from the compensation of the Sky train. That train is back to the 2009 level in my opinion with the exit of some notable clinic related names. Actually I rate Wiggins below Nibali, Purito, Basso, the list continues.....

Kinda agree with the above quote,and Riis won,t let Alberto ride both tours.Knowing that winning both these days is simply impossible.
blaxland

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing