Register

If Contador rides the Giro, will Wiggins still ride it?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

If Contador rides the giro, will wiggins still ride it?

Poll ended at 30 Jan 2013 16:41

Yes
58%
No
26%
He'll break his collarbone on purpose to make it legit
16%

Total votes : 126

22 Jan 2013 08:41

I hope Contador rides Giro because altough he has no chance against Wiggo at least he makes it interesting
User avatar iZnoGouD

22 Jan 2013 08:55

Afrank wrote: In cycling the legends of the sport become legends through epic attacks. Guys like Merckx or Hinault didn't become legends by riding up climbs at tempo. Plus when a rider attacks they are taking a risk, did Wiggins ever risk anything at the Tour?

Miguel Indurain???
BlenJones2

22 Jan 2013 09:11

BlenJones2 wrote:Miguel Indurain???

Attacked :rolleyes:
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

22 Jan 2013 09:25

It's wrong. A legend status has minimum to do with attacks. A rider winning a lot (not attacking a lot) becomes a legend. Wiggins' cycling is not ok for you visually? It is a different theme.

By the way, Indurain in a good mood could sprint quite well and won mountain stages a few times.
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 09:27

airstream wrote:It's wrong. A legend status has minimum to do with attacks. A rider winning a lot (not attacking a lot) becomes a legend. Wiggins' cycling is not ok for you visually? It is a different theme.

Pantani is a legend. Wiggins isn't.
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
User avatar Netserk

22 Jan 2013 09:31

Netserk wrote:Pantani is a legend. Wiggins isn't.

Saying this, you show nothing but hostility to Wiggins.
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 09:46

airstream wrote:It's wrong. A legend status has minimum to do with attacks. A rider winning a lot (not attacking a lot) becomes a legend.

Style and the background story also count. This is why Pantani is a legend. His palmares may not be as impressive as other's, after all he dominated only one year, but his riding style makes him a legend.
User avatar GP Blanco

22 Jan 2013 09:48

airstream wrote:It's wrong. A legend status has minimum to do with attacks. A rider winning a lot (not attacking a lot) becomes a legend.

Pantani won the double. Let's see if Wiggins can.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar

22 Jan 2013 09:57

Eshnar wrote:Pantani won the double. Let's see if Wiggins can.

Remembering that parcours he would have won.
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 09:59

GP Blanco wrote:Style and the background story also count. This is why Pantani is a legend. His palmares may not be as impressive as other's, after all he dominated only one year, but his riding style makes him a legend.

Uh, he was pretty dominant in the '99 Giro as well. :(
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)

22 Jan 2013 10:02

18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:Uh, he was pretty dominant in the '99 Giro as well. :(

I meant May 1998- May 1999
User avatar GP Blanco

22 Jan 2013 10:41

airstream wrote:Remembering that parcours he would have won.

who? .....
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar

22 Jan 2013 10:44

Eshnar wrote:who? .....

Wiggins. :)
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 10:50

airstream wrote:Wiggins. :)

oh. If Ullrich didn't, what makes you think Wiggins would?
Anyway, guesses don't make history.

User avatar Eshnar

22 Jan 2013 13:59

airstream wrote:It's wrong. A legend status has minimum to do with attacks. A rider winning a lot (not attacking a lot) becomes a legend. Wiggins' cycling is not ok for you visually? It is a different theme.

By the way, Indurain in a good mood could sprint quite well and won mountain stages a few times.

In cycling the biggest thing a rider is remembered for is how they rode (Magni for example will always be remembered for how he rode in 1956 Giro where he was 2nd, not 1st). The more a rider attacks the more likely it is that they will be remembered. Sure a good palmares will get you in the history books, but to get those palmares you have to have a aggressive and attacking riding style. You can't always get those results that would put you in the history books by relying on your team to neutralize all other racing by riding tempo up every mountain for you and then just win the race in the TT. I can't recall any of cycling's legends becoming legends the same way Wiggins won the Tour this year.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

22 Jan 2013 14:13

GP Blanco wrote:Style and the background story also count. This is why Pantani is a legend. His palmares may not be as impressive as other's, after all he dominated only one year, but his riding style makes him a legend.

love it, those kids who only followed cycling in recent years :o
User avatar Ryo Hazuki

22 Jan 2013 14:28

Eshnar wrote:oh. If Ullrich didn't, what makes you think Wiggins would?
Anyway, guesses don't make history.

First of all, I meant those parcours greatly suited Wiggins' skills. 75 and 110 km of TT'ing respectively.

Afrank wrote:In cycling the biggest thing a rider is remembered for is how they rode (Magni for example will always be remembered for how he rode in 1956 Giro where he was 2nd, not 1st). The more a rider attacks the more likely it is that they will be remembered. Sure a good palmares will get you in the history books, but to get those palmares you have to have a aggressive and attacking riding style. You can't always get those results that would put you in the history books by relying on your team to neutralize all other racing by riding tempo up every mountain for you and then just win the race in the TT. I can't recall any of cycling's legends becoming legends the same way Wiggins won the Tour this year.

The thing is everyone has its vision of cycling beauty and the thing they mostly remember. Attack is the most wide-spread but not the only one. There a lot of very successful riders who have minimum to proud of in terms of spectacle, but this doesn't belittle their merits because the result is always primary. IMO you equate concepts 'legend' and 'fans' preferences', but fans' preferences are very different.

Wiggins became a legend not because he just won the Tour. The man showed himself up in 2 polar cycling spheres [olympic champion at velotrack and gt contender] in an outstanding way. He is absolutely unprecedented in this.

And yet, to demand mountain attacks from a 192 cm ex track master is a bit sacrilegiously IMO.
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 15:28

airstream wrote:The thing is everyone has its vision of cycling beauty and the thing they mostly remember. Attack is the most wide-spread but not the only one. There a lot of very successful riders who have minimum to proud of in terms of spectacle, but this doesn't belittle their merits because the result is always primary. IMO you equate concepts 'legend' and 'fans' preferences', but fans' preferences are very different.

Wiggins became a legend not because he just won the Tour. The man showed himself up in 2 polar cycling spheres [olympic champion at velotrack and gt contender] in an outstanding way. He is absolutely unprecedented in this.

And yet, to demand mountain attacks from a 192 cm ex track master is a bit sacrilegiously IMO.

Fair enough, I'll agree with you on fans preference, people do have different preferences to which riders are legends and what makes them a legends. Of course some of the sports biggest past stars, the ones that everybody agrees are legends of the sport. Guys like Merckx, Hinault, Pantani, are agreed to be legends mostly because of the way the rode (not that their palmares don't also play a role in it).

Regarding Wiggins and track, I was mostly just considering his road performance, but if we were to consider his track performance then I agree his status goes up. Not to legend status IMO, but it goes up above his status if we just looked at his road performance.

I also don't think it would take too much for him to attack now and then, if he can climb like he did in the 2012 Tour and do "sprints" like the one he did in Romandie then I think he could attack.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank

22 Jan 2013 15:43

Afrank wrote:I also don't think it would take too much for him to attack now and then, if he can climb like he did in the 2012 Tour and do "sprints" like the one he did in Romandie then I think he could attack.

There was no reason. Attack is a necessary measure while everything was more than ok for him back then. Though if rivals will be not very good and Wiggins will have the race in the bag, we can not deny his attacking attempts :)
User avatar airstream

22 Jan 2013 16:07

This myth that Wiggo is somehow scared of Contador is laughable.

Yeah Contador would most likely beat him but to think Wiggo is scared and desperate to avoid him at all costs is pure fantasy.
Cavendash

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing