Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Geraint Thomas

24 Jan 2013 15:30

So it's only a January training race, so not worth getting excited by Thomas's stage win yesterday. But was reading this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/opinion-is-skys-search-for-a-classics-rider-over

Suggesting that he could be a contender at LBL.

As a fairly new, UK based, cycling fan, I don't have enough understanding of the classics to get a strong grasp on whether this is a sensible view, or just non-sensical hype.

So I thought I'd throw this open to people who know more than me - basically two questions. What's anyone's opinion of:

- How far can Thomas go as a contender results wise? (say elite contender 5-10 wins+ a year, solid contributor 2-4 wins a year, occasional stage hunter/super dom, or just a solid pro)

- What should he specialise in - classics (hills, cobbles, both?), short stage races/prologues, grand tours?

Personally I don't have a strong opinion either way. I think he's already at the stage-hunter/super dom level, but just don't have any idea if he will progress. Just interested in others views.
RownhamHill
Junior Member
 
Posts: 945
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

24 Jan 2013 15:58

RownhamHill wrote:As a fairly new, UK based, cycling fan, I don't have enough understanding of the classics to get a strong grasp on whether this is a sensible view, or just non-sensical hype.

Normally it's the latter. Winning a stage in TDU doesn't make you a L-B-L contender, and G has never really been good in the hills. But according to this great article, winning a stage in TDU is a better indication of classic talent than being 2nd at Worlds.

Anyhow, since he's British and from Sky normal logic and progression doesn't apply. I guess he'll probably podium TDF this year and win all 5 monuments.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

24 Jan 2013 16:03

RownhamHill - I'm not sure about that article - it seems obvious that JTL will win LBL.

G will win RVV and PR, in the same year, several times*.

*Unless he's riding for Boassen Hagen, that is the only thing that could stop him :rolleyes:
Winterfold
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,508
Joined: 30 Jul 2009 22:54

24 Jan 2013 16:05

maltiv wrote:Normally it's the latter. Winning a stage in TDU doesn't make you a L-B-L contender, and G has never really been good in the hills. But according to this great article, winning a stage in TDU is a better indication of classic talent than being 2nd at Worlds.


The first bit was my reaction. Not sure I follow the second bit - who is it came second at the worlds who is being unfairly maligned?

maltiv wrote: Anyhow, since he's British and from Sky normal logic and progression doesn't apply. I guess he'll probably podium TDF this year and win all 5 monuments.


ouch!
RownhamHill
Junior Member
 
Posts: 945
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

24 Jan 2013 16:09

RownhamHill wrote:The first bit was my reaction. Not sure I follow the second bit - who is it came second at the worlds who is being unfairly maligned?

"...and although Edvald Boasson Hagen appears to have many of the right attributes, he seems to have found a place at Sky as a stage hunter and domestique de luxe at the grand tours"

Well **** you CN, to me it seems like Geraint Thomas has found his place as a stage hunter in the TDU! :D:rolleyes:
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

24 Jan 2013 16:11

maltiv wrote:Normally it's the latter. Winning a stage in TDU doesn't make you a L-B-L contender, and G has never really been good in the hills. But according to this great article, winning a stage in TDU is a better indication of classic talent than being 2nd at Worlds.

Anyhow, since he's British and from Sky normal logic and progression doesn't apply. I guess he'll probably podium TDF this year and win all 5 monuments.


I love the way you you give EBH a mention everytime :p

How is 2nd at Worlds any idication on any talent on cobbles ( as EBH said he's big target is PR ) I have no clue ? Did the Worlds include cobbles or what ?

Plus the Worlds weren't hard at all, compared to normal versions of races like Ronde or PR.

EBH said he was at best shape last year and still failed at PR. Let's say that I have more faith in Thomas producing on cobbles than EBH.

I hope EBH proves me wrong though of course, but I don't have much faith in him on cobbles .
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,744
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Jan 2013 16:15

Gloin22 wrote:
Plus the Worlds weren't hard at all, compared to normal versions of races like Ronde or PR.


Mostly this. Boasson Hagen's potential does seem limited at present, as far as Monuments and other BIG classics are concerned.
"The likelihood of cheats succeeding in the London Olympics is somewhat remote." - David Howman, WADA Director General
18-Valve. (pithy)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,151
Joined: 04 May 2011 12:50

24 Jan 2013 16:16

maltiv wrote:"...and although Edvald Boasson Hagen appears to have many of the right attributes, he seems to have found a place at Sky as a stage hunter and domestique de luxe at the grand tours"

Well **** you CN, to me it seems like Geraint Thomas has found his place as a stage hunter in the TDU! :D:rolleyes:


I feel pity for you having so many nationalistic frustrations.
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,434
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Jan 2013 16:16

G will at least podium P-R one day. He has never shown anything in the Ardennes though. Henao, Uran, EBH and JTL will fight out Skys Ardennes leadership
User avatar Richeypen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: 03 May 2011 12:21

24 Jan 2013 16:18

Thomas has shown some promise of being good on the cobbles, he won junior Paris-Roubaix in 2004 and was 2nd on the cobble stage in the 2010 Tour.
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,050
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

24 Jan 2013 16:19

Who really knows where GT is going to go on the road?

Despite his age and experience this is going to be his very first season going full-out on the roads at the top level.

His under-23 record suggests that he has reasonable prospects in the flatter classics.

Whether he yet has the capacity to win over the L-B-L hills is yet to be established.

It's unlikely, though possible, that he can win if they go really hard on all the L-B-L climbs.

That said, the Fleche finale is the only big climb that I'd be inclined to rule him out of contention entirely.
Tei6chai
Junior Member
 
Posts: 113
Joined: 24 Sep 2011 01:05

24 Jan 2013 16:19

Afrank wrote:Thomas has shown some promise of being good on the cobbles, he won junior Paris-Roubaix in 2004 and was 2nd on the cobble stage in the 2010 Tour.


Meanwhile you forget his best result of 10th at Ronde where he was voted the best domesqtiue that day puling flecha and hincapie back to the main group as probably most impresive feat except his work early on the race etc. :)
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,744
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Jan 2013 16:27

Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 16:40

Richeypen wrote:G will at least podium P-R one day. He has never shown anything in the Ardennes though. Henao, Uran, EBH and JTL will fight out Skys Ardennes leadership


Flanders is much better for G then PR, although he might also be able podium there if he would focus on it, but I think his focus is going more and more towards going for GCs. Whether that is in one week races or GTs only time will tell.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,996
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2013 16:43

On that Sky TV documentary / love-in series last year, Thomas said he expected to be a Tour contender within a couple of years (or something along those lines). A few years ago that would have been a joke but nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if Eisel did the cobbles double and Zandio won the Vuelta
User avatar Eyeballs Out
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,661
Joined: 19 Jun 2009 10:17
Location: Thames Valley

24 Jan 2013 16:46

Ruudz0r wrote:Flanders is much better for G then PR, although he might also be able podium there if he would focus on it, but I think his focus is going more and more towards going for GCs. Whether that is in one week races or GTs only time will tell.


Maybe in the past but the Flanders route is now joke. Glorified ardennes route
User avatar Richeypen
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: 03 May 2011 12:21

24 Jan 2013 16:48

El Pistolero wrote:Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.


He only rode it seriously once, in 2011. And then he fell once and had puncture twice... yeah...
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,744
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Jan 2013 16:51

Gloin22 wrote:I love the way you you give EBH a mention everytime :p

How is 2nd at Worlds any idication on any talent on cobbles ( as EBH said he's big target is PR ) I have no clue ? Did the Worlds include cobbles or what ?

Plus the Worlds weren't hard at all, compared to normal versions of races like Ronde or PR.

EBH said he was at best shape last year and still failed at PR. Let's say that I have more faith in Thomas producing on cobbles than EBH.

I hope EBH proves me wrong though of course, but I don't have much faith in him on cobbles .

I didn't mention cobbles at all, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I agree he has no chance whatsoever in P-R. Neither does Geraint Thomas, to be honest, normally he should be way too light for that race.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

24 Jan 2013 17:22

Afrank wrote:Thomas has shown some promise of being good on the cobbles, he won junior Paris-Roubaix in 2004 and was 2nd on the cobble stage in the 2010 Tour.

That result in the Tour doesn't count for anything classics wise, Schleck and VdB were in the top10 that day too. This said, I believe that his 2nd place on Waregem and 10th on the Ronde are good indicators that he can have some cobbled potential.
If he can become a regular top10 on Ronde/Roubaix he can win one of them, specially Roubaix since luck plays such a big role.
About his talent on the hills, specially LBL type, I think it remains to be proven: it's not like TDU is a good indicator of that. Still, it's fair to say that he was impressive on Corkscrew.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him become wherever Sky wants him too: from cobbled classics rider to GT contender. If they could change Froome, Thomas has shown far more until now than Froome ever had.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,383
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

24 Jan 2013 17:32

trevim wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see him become wherever Sky wants him too: from cobbled classics rider to GT contender. If they could change Froome, Thomas has shown far more until now than Froome ever had.

Thomas is older now than Froome was when he was 2nd in the Vuelta though.
maltiv
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5,260
Joined: 23 Oct 2009 20:25

Next

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bye Bye Bicycle, capuldemetal, carton, Christian, coppino, davebqvst, DenisMenchov, DFA123, djpbaltimore, Domulec, dubexcalibur, franic, Google Adsense [Bot], infeXio, jilbiker, Kwibus, Llirael Moroth, nuvolablu, qwer, Ryaguas, Squirbos_19, TheYouyou7 and 80 guests

Back to top