Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Jan 2013 17:34

Ruudz0r wrote:Flanders is much better for G then PR, although he might also be able podium there if he would focus on it, but I think his focus is going more and more towards going for GCs. Whether that is in one week races or GTs only time will tell.


Interesting. He can try and win the Eneco Tour Of Benelux.

If he fails, he can return and become a lead -out man, something which he's pretty decent at.;)
User avatar the asian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,393
Joined: 20 Jan 2011 18:09
Location: Colombo

24 Jan 2013 18:10

JTL said loud and clear he will target the ardennes triple
don't get me wrong,thomas is a great rider but i see him best suited to the stage races. he could be a force in flanders though but for roubaix, sky is strong enough without him.
anyway it will be very exciting to follow him this season.
Vino 4ever
User avatar jens_attacks
Senior Member
 
Posts: 12,147
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 18:00

24 Jan 2013 18:18

Eyeballs Out wrote:On that Sky TV documentary / love-in series last year, Thomas said he expected to be a Tour contender within a couple of years (or something along those lines). A few years ago that would have been a joke but nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if Eisel did the cobbles double and Zandio won the Vuelta


That interview was done a he was worming up for the prologue. I remember the forum at the time discussing wether or not he was referring to winning a prologue and therefore wear the yellow jersey someday or going full crack at the GC on a grand tour.

He is a similar rider to wiggins (and perhaps younger than when wiggins concentrated on the road) so he could turn to GC but i expect him to become a GC rider on shorter races with stage hunting at grand tours (though at team sky i expect little stage hunting on three week tours with the whole team uniting behind a GC rider) with some dabbling in the classics.

He made need to decide what he wants to be to really excel in one area rather than being good but not great in lots. I think EBH is in the same boat
williamp78
Junior Member
 
Posts: 313
Joined: 14 Nov 2011 23:11

24 Jan 2013 18:26

williamp78 wrote:That interview was done a he was worming up for the prologue. I remember the forum at the time discussing wether or not he was referring to winning a prologue and therefore wear the yellow jersey someday or going full crack at the GC on a grand tour.

He is a similar rider to wiggins (and perhaps younger than when wiggins concentrated on the road) so he could turn to GC but i expect him to become a GC rider on shorter races with stage hunting at grand tours (though at team sky i expect little stage hunting on three week tours with the whole team uniting behind a GC rider) with some dabbling in the classics.

He made need to decide what he wants to be to really excel in one area rather than being good but not great in lots. I think EBH is in the same boat


He said he wanted to be a contender for the GTs in several interviews.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,913
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2013 18:34

El Pistolero wrote:Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.


but thomas has shown that he can go well over 200 km in the classics, unlike ebh :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,075
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Jan 2013 18:47

Ryo Hazuki wrote:but thomas has shown that he can go well over 200 km in the classics, unlike ebh :rolleyes:


What has GT ever done in the classics? We're still hearing about his tenth place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen as if it's the best thing ever achieved in cycling. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile EBH has won Gent-Wevelgem(203km), Vattenfall Cyclassics(215km), GP Quest-France(243km) and second at the WC Road Race(269km).
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 18:58

El Pistolero wrote:What has GT ever done in the classics? We're still hearing about his tenth place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen as if it's the best thing ever achieved in cycling. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile EBH has won Gent-Wevelgem(203km), Vattenfall Cyclassics(215km), GP Quest-France(243km) and second at the WC Road Race(269km).

And some stage in the Giro with something like 240km I think. Obviously a classic is different stuff but he's good. I hope he can finally prove himself on the monuments.
User avatar trevim
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,299
Joined: 26 Oct 2010 09:40
Location: Portugal

24 Jan 2013 19:23

El Pistolero wrote:What has GT ever done in the classics? We're still hearing about his tenth place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen as if it's the best thing ever achieved in cycling. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile EBH has won Gent-Wevelgem(203km), Vattenfall Cyclassics(215km), GP Quest-France(243km) and second at the WC Road Race(269km).


you only look at results, that;s why you don't know a thing about cycling.

I'll speak to you in 1 or 2 years and we will see how thomas has done :rolleyes:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,075
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Jan 2013 19:34

Ryo Hazuki wrote:you only look at results, that;s why you don't know a thing about cycling.

I'll speak to you in 1 or 2 years and we will see how thomas has done :rolleyes:


Yeah and you can't look at results because GT has none in the classics besides one tenth place. :o

Oh, and you were the one that brought up the results from EBH, not me.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 19:56

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah and you can't look at results because GT has none in the classics besides one tenth place. :o

Oh, and you were the one that brought up the results from EBH, not me.


You don't half talk some shiite at times.
GT didn't even ride a Spring classic, last year, due to the Olympics.
That 10th place was the best 10th place I've seen in a long while.
A clear indicator of real potential.

I don't get this: "use one good rider to knock another good rider" logic, either.

So, I'll assume it's the usual Boonan cobbles and Gilbert hills, bias.
Mellow Velo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,591
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 09:48

24 Jan 2013 20:21

Mellow Velo wrote:You don't half talk some shiite at times.
GT didn't even ride a Spring classic, last year, due to the Olympics.
That 10th place was the best 10th place I've seen in a long while.
A clear indicator of real potential.

I don't get this: "use one good rider to knock another good rider" logic, either.

So, I'll assume it's the usual Boonan cobbles and Gilbert hills, bias.


The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT. :rolleyes:

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires. ;)
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 20:23

El Pistolero wrote:Yeah and you can't look at results because GT has none in the classics besides one tenth place. :o

Oh, and you were the one that brought up the results from EBH, not me.


El Pistolero wrote:Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.


I guess you are both blind and stupid :o
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,075
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

24 Jan 2013 20:29

El Pistolero wrote:The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT. :rolleyes:

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires. ;)


Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured in his first attempts ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this :D
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,714
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Jan 2013 20:37

Gloin22 wrote:Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this :D


Barely ever, only in 2011. What trololol? Watch a bike race.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed. Why didn't he take it seriously in 2010? What's he being paid for? Acting like a clown on the road?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me. :) I'd like to see you speak a different language, maybe we can join in on the laughs then.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 20:40

El Pistolero wrote:Barely ever, only in 2011.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me. :)


Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am :D Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. Why you sound like if he rode PR lots of times and always failed...
But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?
Gloin22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,714
Joined: 10 Apr 2011 11:45

24 Jan 2013 20:42

Gloin22 wrote:Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am :D Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?


Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 21:01

El Pistolero wrote:Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.


You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.
User avatar Bernie's eyesore
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,216
Joined: 14 Sep 2011 10:03

24 Jan 2013 21:16

Bernie's eyesore wrote:You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.


Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 21:41

El Pistolero wrote:Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.


Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.
User avatar Bernie's eyesore
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,216
Joined: 14 Sep 2011 10:03

24 Jan 2013 21:44

Bernie's eyesore wrote:Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.


I didn't even say anything about him performing or not in the classics. Just that his hype is unwarranted as he hasn't really done much in the classics as of yet. EBH on the other hand has already proven more(Ryo and some others are claiming it's the opposite way).

Massive potential because he came tenth once in the Ronde? Pfft, please. Massive potential is being on the podium in your very first Roubaix.

As I said, he barely did any track in 2009-2011. His tenth place in the Ronde was good, but not worth talking about 2 years after the fact.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bushman, Google [Bot], lemon cheese cake, Poursuivant, Wiggo Warrior and 27 guests

Back to top