Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

30 Mar 2015 07:59

superb rider. i don;t think he stands any chance for roubaix though, at least not this year
but flanders is definitely doable. go g!
User avatar jens_attacks

Re: Geraint Thomas

30 Mar 2015 08:21

Great performance again,i hope he can keep it up.

User avatar DBotero

30 Mar 2015 13:58

Amazing form in the past few weeks. While Sagan just does not seem to have it at the moment. With Boonen and Cancellara out Sagan in form would have been primed for the elusive monument win but it's just not happening.
movingtarget

30 Mar 2015 15:00

Very impressive to simply be able to catch back on after he was blown over.
nayr497

Re:

30 Mar 2015 15:25

jens_attacks wrote:superb rider. i don;t think he stands any chance for roubaix though, at least not this year

Doesn't stand any chance? I will be very surprised if he isn't competing for a chance to win in the final stages of the race.
User avatar Dog

Re:

30 Mar 2015 20:55

jens_attacks wrote:superb rider. i don;t think he stands any chance for roubaix though, at least not this year

Roubaix is reserved for Sir Bradley this year,G.have to wait for next year :)
User avatar DBotero

Re: Re:

30 Mar 2015 20:59

DBotero wrote:

I don't think Sky will be that silly. I think Wiggins, Thomas and Stannard will all ride to conserve energy and be ready for leadership.
User avatar King Boonen

30 Mar 2015 21:14

King Boonen wrote:
DBotero wrote:

I don't think Sky will be that silly. I think Wiggins, Thomas and Stannard will all ride to conserve energy and be ready for leadership.

I don't know,usually when Wiggins is focusing on something the others are just peons.It will be good for Sky to keep their other options open,but they failed so many times to do it.
User avatar DBotero

30 Mar 2015 21:15

DBotero wrote:I don't know,usually when Wiggins is focusing on something the others are just peons.It will be good for Sky to keep their other options open,but they failed so many times to do it.

They seem to be learning this year, we'll have to wait and see.
User avatar King Boonen

30 Mar 2015 23:06

King Boonen wrote:
DBotero wrote:

Don't worry, they'll go full Mapei :D
User avatar Mayomaniac

31 Mar 2015 02:48

Mayomaniac wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
DBotero wrote:

If that came true (and it's far from impossible I would think), it would be so heart breaking for Thomas and Stannard to have to surrender possibly their best shot at victory in Roubaix for Wiggins.
User avatar TMP402

31 Mar 2015 10:25

DBotero wrote:

That's what really annoys me. Wiggins just isnt as talented as Thomas. If there is just a spot of rain then Wiggins will go hiding in the team car. So if it rained he would be put as an early domestique on asphalt roads for Thomas and maybe Stannard.

Thats what other teams would do. Team Sky just wouldn't do that. They'd put all their eggs in one basket for Wiggins. Plus it wont rain.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

31 Mar 2015 11:04

lemon cheese cake wrote:
DBotero wrote:

That's what really annoys me. Wiggins just isnt as talented as Thomas. If there is just a spot of rain then Wiggins will go hiding in the team car. So if it rained he would be put as an early domestique on asphalt roads for Thomas and maybe Stannard.

Thats what other teams would do. Team Sky just wouldn't do that. They'd put all their eggs in one basket for Wiggins. Plus it wont rain.

It would be a disgrace if Thomas isn't their main leader. He's been the best cobbles rider this season, while Wiggins has done absolutely nothing. Give Wiggins a free role if he wants (because he'd probably only ride for himself anyway), but the team's focus should be on getting Thomas into the final selection.

Could you imagine an off-form Uran or Tony Martin suddenly announcing they wanted to win Roubaix, after one good finish there, and then immediately becoming leader ahead of Boonen, Stybar or Terpstra?
User avatar DFA123

01 Apr 2015 21:30

Too much emotion involved. Wiggins' final race for Team Sky etc etc... even if Thomas absolutely destroys everyone in RVV, Wiggins will be Team Sky's leader for PR
User avatar PremierAndrew

01 Apr 2015 22:41

TMP402 wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
DBotero wrote:

If that came true (and it's far from impossible I would think), it would be so heart breaking for Thomas and Stannard to have to surrender possibly their best shot at victory in Roubaix for Wiggins.

Just curious, why?
peloton

Re:

02 Apr 2015 00:04

PremierAndrew wrote:Too much emotion involved. Wiggins' final race for Team Sky etc etc... even if Thomas absolutely destroys everyone in RVV, Wiggins will be Team Sky's leader for PR

That would be dumb. I would think they'd have enough brains to allow both to have their chances. Roubaix is highly, highly selective. Chances are the race makes it clear who will win out. If they both go to the finale in a group, it becomes interesting.
User avatar red_flanders

03 Apr 2015 00:02

[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1681641#p1681641]peloton

Just curious, why?[/quote]

Well maybe Thomas and Stannard are so devoted to Wiggins they wouldn't mind giving up their own chances. But considering T&S are probably equal with at least five others in terms of pure skill, there's no guarantee they will podium again in P-R, and if I was them I'd find it very hard to roll in behind Wiggins cheering him on. Just my opinion.
User avatar TMP402

03 Apr 2015 18:01

TMP402 wrote:[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1681641#p1681641]peloton

Just curious, why?

Well maybe Thomas and Stannard are so devoted to Wiggins they wouldn't mind giving up their own chances. But considering T&S are probably equal with at least five others in terms of pure skill, there's no guarantee they will podium again in P-R, and if I was them I'd find it very hard to roll in behind Wiggins cheering him on. Just my opinion.

I get the impression Thomas isn't that devoted to Wiggins, probably more so now, in the past few years he's ridden for Froome without any problems, they seem to get on ok, so I guess he's fairly ambivalent about it. He almost gave a Froome-like answer when asked about his role and Wiggins in the PR after the E3, seemed like deja vu to me with Wiggins and Froome. He deserves to be given his chance in both races.
bigcog

03 Apr 2015 20:40

Leadership will be decided on the roads methinks, suits a team to have several options. If they make selection and both Thomas and Wiggins are there, I reckon they will ride for whoever has the best legs. Likely Wiggins will bury himself for Thomas at RVV and Thomas will return the favour.
JimmyFingers

04 Apr 2015 07:42

They should go with the same approach that Quickstep used over the years. Boonen was always the clear-cut leader, but Devolder, Chavanel, Terpstra, Stybar or Vandenbergh all got their chances to shine. Devolder and Terpstra made the best of it and won big. If Wiggins is there, support him. If another rider has a better day or Wiggins won't make it to the final (group), let someone else try his luck. Easy as that. Why pull out the "Sky-train" and risk losing it all?
User avatar Akuryo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing