Log in:  

Register

Geraint Thomas

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

24 Jan 2013 21:57

Bernie's eyesore wrote:Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.



He's real argument is that he isn't Belgian.;)
Mellow Velo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,592
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 09:48

24 Jan 2013 22:02

El Pistolero wrote:I didn't even say anything about him performing or not in the classics. Just that his hype is unwarranted as he hasn't really done much in the classics as of yet. EBH on the other hand has already proven more(Ryo and some others are claiming it's the opposite way).

Massive potential because he came tenth once in the Ronde? Pfft, please. Massive potential is being on the podium in your very first Roubaix.

As I said, he barely did any track in 2009-2011. His tenth place in the Ronde was good, but not worth talking about 2 years after the fact.


Give him a chance. Sean Kelly didn't win a classic until he was 27
Parker
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,054
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

24 Jan 2013 22:31

Mellow Velo wrote:He's real argument is that he isn't Belgian.;)


What does that have to do with anything? You don't see me hyping every Belgian that gets a tenth place in a Monument. In fact, you're the one that came up with the nickname "Greg van Average" for Greg van Avermaet despite his classic results being 10 times better so far than Thomas' results. Like I said, GT is over-hyped on this forum. If he ever does good in a classic I'll gladly acknowledge him, but until then he's just one of many riders that could potentially do well in classics some day.

Any other fallacies you want to throw at me? You're on a roll.

Thanks for calling me a real argument by the way.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 22:42

You judge way to much on results, the way he has ridden was simply very impressive and showed great potential.

Maybe you ll understand if we take a guy from Belgium as an example. You remember Sep Vanmarcke his performance at Roubaix in 2011? He showed great class on the cobbles, but he "only" finished 20th.
User avatar Ruudz0r
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: 09 Jun 2011 17:31
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2013 22:45

Ruudz0r wrote:You judge way to much on results, the way he has ridden was simply very impressive and showed great potential.

Maybe you ll understand if we take a guy from Belgium as an example. You remember Sep Vanmarcke his performance at Roubaix in 2011? He showed great class on the cobbles, but he "only" finished 20th.


For the last time, I'm not claiming he has no potential. I'm merely saying he's over-hyped. There are quite a few guys with the same amount of potential that don't get a "will he win LBL" thread after he wins a race in January. Guys like Offredo, Terpstra, Slagter, Boom, Vanendert and yes, also Sep Vanmarcke.

Although in Sep's case, he won the Omloop het Nieuwsblad against Boonen. ;)

And second in Gent-Wevelgem.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

24 Jan 2013 23:27

El Pistolero wrote:For the last time, I'm not claiming he has no potential. I'm merely saying he's over-hyped. There are quite a few guys with the same amount of potential that don't get a "will he win LBL" thread after he wins a race in January. Guys like Offredo, Terpstra, Slagter, Boom, Vanendert and yes, also Sep Vanmarcke.

Although in Sep's case, he won the Omloop het Nieuwsblad against Boonen. ;)

And second in Gent-Wevelgem.


Hey, I'm enjoying the discussion, but wanted to clarify it was't my intention to hype Thomas up. I have no idea if it's even possible for him to finish LBL cpmpetitively, let alone think about winning it! I guess that's what I'm interested in - what attributes push a rider with potential in what direction.

Carry on as you were.
RownhamHill
Junior Member
 
Posts: 949
Joined: 01 Jul 2011 13:43

24 Jan 2013 23:30

RownhamHill wrote:Hey, I'm enjoying the discussion, but wanted to clarify it was't my intention to hype Thomas up. I have no idea if it's even possible for him to finish LBL cpmpetitively, let alone think about winning it! I guess that's what I'm interested in - what attributed pish a rider with potential in what direction.

Carry on as you were.


Right now I can only see him do well in the Ronde van Vlaanderen. None of the contenders of LBL are in shape right now. Simon Gerrans was in good shape in the early season, but his peak was over already before the Ardennes classics. And normally those races suit him better than Milan-San Remo(which he won).
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

25 Jan 2013 02:13

Seems to be overrated as a classics rider, who knows if he will win a monument. Devolder won two though, so anything is possible. With Langeveld, Sagan, Terpstra, GVA... they are around the same age and you can't say GT is any more likely to win the Ronde than them.

Personally I see him more as a stage racer although his recovery is unproven and we don't know how far he has left to improve. Might not end up having the top end of a Froome or Wiggins but at worst would be great in one week races and a strong domestique in GTs, like a Rogers.
Ferminal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 16,776
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

25 Jan 2013 03:01

The thing with Thomas is that he is pretty good at everything:

He's been top 30 at the Tour so he can climb a bit

He's got results on cobbles, so he can do that.

He's won a prologue, so he can do that

He came 2nd in both Giro TTs, so he can do that

No need to justify his track ability

He's done lead outs for EBH and Cav, so he has pace.


His problem is working out what to do. (In a different thread I said he could come top 10 in a GT and I was mocked - let's see)
Parker
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1,054
Joined: 04 Mar 2011 01:20

25 Jan 2013 04:30

Parker wrote:The thing with Thomas is that he is pretty good at everything:

He's been top 30 at the Tour so he can climb a bit

He's got results on cobbles, so he can do that.

He's won a prologue, so he can do that

He came 2nd in both Giro TTs, so he can do that

No need to justify his track ability

He's done lead outs for EBH and Cav, so he has pace.


His problem is working out what to do. (In a different thread I said he could come top 10 in a GT and I was mocked - let's see)


Absolutely. In 2011 he was in the last group at Tour of Flanders. Definitely now ready to do something in my opinion.
PsychicCyclist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 25 Jan 2013 04:05

25 Jan 2013 09:05

Don't think GT will get the chance to go fully for PR ayway this year. Stannards an absolute monster and being British is likely to get some priority at sky. They've got enough classics riders of a similar ability (that are't genuine classic favourites like gilbert, boonen, sagan) that they can rotate leadership and I suspect they'll do that this year, i.e GT for flanders, Stannard/Hayman PR, EBH AGR, Henao/JTL for Fleche Wallone, Wiggins/Uran for LBL.
Basically they've not got a clue...
BlenJones2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Oct 2012 10:40

25 Jan 2013 09:41

BlenJones2 wrote:Don't think GT will get the chance to go fully for PR ayway this year. Stannards an absolute monster and being British is likely to get some priority at sky. They've got enough classics riders of a similar ability (that are't genuine classic favourites like gilbert, boonen, sagan) that they can rotate leadership and I suspect they'll do that this year, i.e GT for flanders, Stannard/Hayman PR, EBH AGR, Henao/JTL for Fleche Wallone, Wiggins/Uran for LBL.
Basically they've not got a clue...


hmmm .
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
User avatar will10
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6,013
Joined: 27 Dec 2010 14:08

25 Jan 2013 09:52

I started a similar thread last year after his Romandie Prologue. I'm genuinely interested to see what direction he goes in, as it's clear he's mega talented. From the videos on his website, him and EBH seem to have a good relationship, and they could offer a pretty serious 1-2 attack if they would contest the same classics. I'm unashamedly a bit of a GT fanboy.
element
Junior Member
 
Posts: 105
Joined: 28 Dec 2011 13:28

25 Jan 2013 10:43

Mellow Velo wrote:He's real argument is that he isn't Belgian.;)


exactly. if thomas had a belgian passport, reverse anything el calimero said 180 degrees
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,580
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

25 Jan 2013 10:44

BlenJones2 wrote:Don't think GT will get the chance to go fully for PR ayway this year. Stannards an absolute monster and being British is likely to get some priority at sky. They've got enough classics riders of a similar ability (that are't genuine classic favourites like gilbert, boonen, sagan) that they can rotate leadership and I suspect they'll do that this year, i.e GT for flanders, Stannard/Hayman PR, EBH AGR, Henao/JTL for Fleche Wallone, Wiggins/Uran for LBL.
Basically they've not got a clue...


:facepalm:
User avatar Ryo Hazuki
Senior Member
 
Posts: 15,580
Joined: 31 Mar 2010 13:50

25 Jan 2013 11:03

El Pistolero wrote:The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT. :rolleyes:

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires. ;)


Do you even remember that RVV where Thomas finished 10th? Do you even remember the enormous amounts of works Thomas did there to drag Flecha everywhere back to the main group?

Probably not, because Thomas isn't a Belgian so you forget
BYOP88 wrote:Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 19,795
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

25 Jan 2013 13:13

Ryo Hazuki wrote::facepalm:

what? im not saying the bias is right. Flecha said in an interview recently that he left so that he could attack and have more opportunities than he would in a English team
BlenJones2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Oct 2012 10:40

25 Jan 2013 13:33

BlenJones2 wrote:what? im not saying the bias is right. Flecha said in an interview recently that he left so that he could attack and have more opportunities than he would in a English team


Ryo's facepalm was about you saying Stannard would get more opportunities than Geraint because he's British, when Geraint is also British. ;)
User avatar Afrank
Senior Member
 
Posts: 9,370
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

25 Jan 2013 13:46

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Do you even remember that RVV where Thomas finished 10th? Do you even remember the enormous amounts of works Thomas did there to drag Flecha everywhere back to the main group?

Probably not, because Thomas isn't a Belgian so you forget


Yeah, I've seen better things in cycling. ;) For you it's probably the best thing ever considering you only remember this and Dutch cycling stuff. But hey, I'm talking with the guy that immediately dropped all kinds of clinical hints on this forum the moment Terpstra did well(just because he's riding for a Belgian team) while glorifying what Lars Boom did.

I also remember the enormous amount of work BMC did - without it none of these lesser guys would've been in a striking distance to win.
Ryo Hazuki wrote:horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato


The Hitch wrote:Goss will woop boonens candy a[color="Black"]ss[/color] in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
User avatar El Pistolero
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14,298
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 21:53

25 Jan 2013 13:48

Afrank wrote:Ryo's facepalm was about you saying Stannard would get more opportunities than Geraint because he's British, when Geraint is also British. ;)


haha fair. its only hypothetical of course
BlenJones2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 26 Oct 2012 10:40

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ataraxus, BeagRigh, bucko007, cesko_jr, darwin553, DFA123, fatsprintking, KyoGrey, MatParker117, McLovin, Pentacycle, Poursuivant, Ruby United, SeriousSam, Singer01, TommyGun, valentius borealis, Walter Morgan, wansteadimp, WillemS, Yahoo [Bot] and 102 guests

Back to top